Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Think he'll start the season as first choice, probably wide of the centre forward as usual.

What SHOULD be different to every other season is when he goes on his annual 4 month goal drought he's out of the team straight away as even now we have plenty of options for the wide positions.

I do think Sherwood rates him but not at any cost. See the Cup final, everyone thought on here he'd start but he didn't, he certainly would've under Lambert.

The fact is he has scored 27 league goals in 148 in the last six seasons. A one in 5 striker. 12/13 is the only time he has managed double figures when you include cup goals since the O'Neill years. And that feels a long, long,long, time ago. I know he has had some injuries and we had some poor seasons but still. If he was a random signing bought about 2 years ago he would have been sold now. Last chance this season, minimum target 10 goals.

So you're saying that when playing as a striker (during MON years) he hit a "respectable" goals tally for a lower Prem striker (double figures) but since switching to the wing his goals return has changed to 1 in 5 (a shockingly similar number to that of average Prem winger)...ahhhh what could have happened?!

He was consistently a striker, and scored goals - no, Benteke he is not - but if memory serves he was around the 12-15 goals per season mark. He then went off and rather than going off getting pissed and passing out on the floor on holiday trained to become a better striker by improving his strength - let's not forget he used to be built like Ashley Young - upon returning to the team he has been played almost exclusively as a winger - the position on the pitch where the least important attribute is strength - but for a few brief periods up front.

He is not a technical player, he uses his physicality on games. It's no surprise that his form dropped when played out wide, lose form, lose confidence and it is hard to get it back again. Whether he will regain his form remains to be seen, but Sherwood played him as a striker before he got injured last season and he looked better. Maybe he can come good this season?

Maybe I am easy on him as I do like Gabby, but I'm willing to see if he can start impacting games now it looks like we have a manager who will play him in his preferred position. If we bring in a better striker to play in his place then great, under no circumstances should be find himself playing as a winger again but he does deserve a chance up top. If he's rubbish then he can be dropped, simple

• Like 2

He was moved to the wing to accommodate his pace and keep him in the team.....The reason he was moved from the centre was because he didn't score enough goals and others did.

....its not that he was hard done by

and the way his pace has dropped he may find it hard to get a game, depending on who is brought in.

I also believe his loyalty has been largely borne out the fact that no other teams are interested in his limited abilities.

I don't dislike Gabby, just never rated him like some Villa Fans.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

The fact is he has scored 27 league goals in 148 in the last six seasons. A one in 5 striker. 12/13 is the only time he has managed double figures when you include cup goals since the O'Neill years. And that feels a long, long,long, time ago. I know he has had some injuries and we had some poor seasons but still. If he was a random signing bought about 2 years ago he would have been sold now. Last chance this season, minimum target 10 goals.

So you're saying that when playing as a striker (during MON years) he hit a "respectable" goals tally for a lower Prem striker (double figures) but since switching to the wing his goals return has changed to 1 in 5 (a shockingly similar number to that of average Prem winger)...ahhhh what could have happened?!

He was consistently a striker, and scored goals - no, Benteke he is not - but if memory serves he was around the 12-15 goals per season mark. He then went off and rather than going off getting pissed and passing out on the floor on holiday trained to become a better striker by improving his strength - let's not forget he used to be built like Ashley Young - upon returning to the team he has been played almost exclusively as a winger - the position on the pitch where the least important attribute is strength - but for a few brief periods up front.

He is not a technical player, he uses his physicality on games. It's no surprise that his form dropped when played out wide, lose form, lose confidence and it is hard to get it back again. Whether he will regain his form remains to be seen, but Sherwood played him as a striker before he got injured last season and he looked better. Maybe he can come good this season?

Maybe I am easy on him as I do like Gabby, but I'm willing to see if he can start impacting games now it looks like we have a manager who will play him in his preferred position. If we bring in a better striker to play in his place then great, under no circumstances should be find himself playing as a winger again but he does deserve a chance up top. If he's rubbish then he can be dropped, simple

Easy on Gabby! you can say that again. And has he ever really had a respectable goal return?

He was moved to the wing to accommodate his pace and keep him in the team.....The reason he was moved from the centre was because he didn't score enough goals and others did.

....its not that he was hard done by

and the way his pace has dropped he may find it hard to get a game, depending on who is brought in.

I also believe his loyalty has been largely borne out the fact that no other teams are interested in his limited abilities.

I don't dislike Gabby, just never rated him like some Villa Fans.

Sums him up entirely 

Gabby's "presence"?  If i was a defender i wouldn't even bother with him as i would no that even if gets the ball the chance of him doing anything positive with it is between no chance and no f****** chance.

so very true

Easy on Gabby! you can say that again. And has he ever really had a respectable goal return?
Would you not consider getting double figures in an average team (consistently, when a striker) while still being happy to play anywhere on the pitch and never once having a bad word to say about the club and doing every single bit of PR asked of him respectable for a player that was effectively a free transfer? What free transfers would you say are available to us that would offer more than that? In fact, what £5m players would we get to do that?

We're currently strongly linked to a player in France for £7-12m (depending on which report you read) that seems to be a young version of Gabby from a weaker league (only going on what I've heard as I've not seen him but struggled for consistency, never had a great goal return when out wide but made it into double figures when given a go up front), and that could be £12m! Yet some people can't get rid of Gabby fast enough, I really just don't get it

If Agbonlahor played for another club, and was linked with us, we would all be horrified.

If Ronaldo was linked with us people on here would be horrified so I wouldnt take notice of that ;)

We all really know what Agbonlahor does and does not do; I think we all know his capabilities, we just do not agree on whether he does enough to justify his place.

I personally think he does not contribute enough, and we need someone better in that position. 

If Agbonlahor played for another club, and was linked with us, we would all be horrified.

If Ronaldo was linked with us people on here would be horrified so I wouldnt take notice of that ;)

I know what you are saying, but don't you think, Zatman, seriously, that people would be horrified if he was linked with us. I know I would be, and that is my yardstick for judging him.

Would you not consider getting double figures in an average team (consistently, when a striker) while still being happy to play anywhere on the pitch and never once having a bad word to say about the club and doing every single bit of PR asked of him respectable for a player that was effectively a free transfer? What free transfers would you say are available to us that would offer more than that? In fact, what £5m players would we get to do that?

We're currently strongly linked to a player in France for £7-12m (depending on which report you read) that seems to be a young version of Gabby from a weaker league (only going on what I've heard as I've not seen him but struggled for consistency, never had a great goal return when out wide but made it into double figures when given a go up front), and that could be £12m! Yet some people can't get rid of Gabby fast enough, I really just don't get it

In a word NO. 

I know what you are saying, but don't you think, Zatman, seriously, that people would be horrified if he was linked with us. I know I would be, and that is my yardstick for judging him.

without a shadow of doubt. My mates are wolves fans and they tell me they would be absolutely mortified to find him linked with them. Kind of tells you how he viewed by other teams fans, and that's championship 

Gabby is a strange player, most fans think he is shittest player ever but ask defenders who they fear playing and he wouldnt be far off. Think was Jamie Carragher said he was a nightmare to play against

Gabby is a strange player, most fans think he is shittest player ever but ask defenders who they fear playing and he wouldnt be far off. Think was Jamie Carragher said he was a nightmare to play against

Gabby has his pro's and his cons, I don't think he is brilliant but I also don't think he is as crap as people make out on here. I think he is a useful member of our squad and I think he gets a lot of grief due to the fact of how long he has been here more than anything. He isn't the greatest but he isn't bad either

• Like 4

With good reason, the guy is about 40st these days.

Â