Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

For me he still has pace, power, makes good runs and works hard.  It's his bloody finishing, it is truly appalling at times.  I still struggle to understand how a player who spends all day every day training cannot hit the target - he's a striker ffs!  I said yesterday in another thread, if I was Sherwood and would have him work on shooting and finishing for hours and hours and hours and hours......and hours.

Can I go home now Tim I'm knackered?  "No, keep going to you hit the goal"

Edited by Gary Thomas

I think people will be surprised to see how much he plays under Sherwood.

I expect him to play nearly always. So I'd only be surprised to see him sitting on the bench. So yes, I hope I am surprised.

• Like 1

Ah the Erdington Pele. Love him to bits for so many reasons but we really should not be relying on him for goals, over 300 games he hits less than 1 in 4, so if he gets in to double figures he'll have had an awesome season. 

At least I think he'll be used properly and not shoved out onto the wing.  In his defence, he has unselfishly played wherever he has been asked to, at the expense of his goal return.  Watching him tread water on the wing for large parts of Lambert's reign was one of the black marks I would put against Lambert.  Not only did it render Gabby useless but it took up a spot on the wing that someone else could have used.  It's no co-incidence that his best ever scoring season was up alongside John Carew.

• Like 4

He's definitely a forward, he's an awesome weapon if you want to stretch a team, or to punish a high line. In either case it needs the space he creates behind his Bolt-like runs to be filled by someone with quick feet and a quicker brain, let's hope we have that in Grealish and Gil and we buy a real trequartista/atttacking midfielder too. That combined with a proper goal scorer for him to play off and all of a sudden Gabby is awesome again. I was just saying above that we can't rely on him for the goals, even if he is played in his best position, without the rest of the forward line being set up to get the most out of him. 

At least I think he'll be used properly and not shoved out onto the wing.  In his defence, he has unselfishly played wherever he has been asked to, at the expense of his goal return.  Watching him tread water on the wing for large parts of Lambert's reign was one of the black marks I would put against Lambert.  Not only did it render Gabby useless but it took up a spot on the wing that someone else could have used.  It's no co-incidence that his best ever scoring season was up alongside John Carew.

Hit the nail on head.

It also increased the pressure on him to score when he did get chances, and we all know what happens when Gabby thinks.

With Carew the pressure was off him, JC was the brains and brawn plus a decent finisher, he just had to play his part in moves. He did it well.

When he and Tekkers did well it was because Gabby played that part again, it's just his lack of exposure in front of goal made him look lost a lot of the time, plus unlike JC, Tekkers spends less time on the 6 yard box....he doesn't need Gabby. 

When he makes runs he's dangerous and we look much better, but he sometimes switches off and it's up to the manager and players to keep him interested.

I actually think he'd work with Adebayor, he's definitely the sort of player who will tell you off if you stop helping him score goals. I also think Kozak has similar attributes to JC.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

I do wonder if people at the club think us supporters have some sort of love for Gabby hence nobody trying to get rid of him ?

He's been next to **** useless for about 4/5 years now and i don't know anyone that wouldn't be in favour of selling him, absolutely no idea why he's still at the club

I do wonder if people at the club think us supporters have some sort of love for Gabby hence nobody trying to get rid of him ?

Surely not. Though nothing surprises me with this club. Should not have been given the renewal (lower wages or not) and should've walked away on a free.

I thought Gabby looked quite decent when Sherwood came in until he got injured. If sherwood could get gabby confident and scoring again like he did with benteke and Abebayor we might have a decent striker. If I was coaching him I'd have him training extra hours of finishing.

• Like 1

Good clubs aren't sentimental.  Tomorrow's heroes are always preferable to yesterday's.  See where this is going?

Gabby, still (over)eating out on his one glorious game in fifteen, is like that friend who still hangs out with you in groups, yet he's nobodies best friend and you kind of forget why he's still there.  Didn't he do something really outrageous that one Christmas party?  DIdn't he once say that really funny thing that one time?  Wasn't he once genuinely, fiercely fast rather than that weird Hulk-doing-the-100-metres-with-a-parachute-on-his-back sprints to nowhere thing he does now?

Yes there are fond memories and glimmers of brilliance, but the last thing Aston Villa needs right now is its own Withnail.  Get out of that flat Villa, get out of that flat...

Gabby epitomises the myth of unity bad places insist upon to stop them falling apart and rebuilding.  Sacred cows can be the tastiest of treats.  Particularly mildly overweight ones.

Â