Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Think he was left out with some sort of niggle yesterday. He'll start on Tuesday if he's fit. No question. I also think he's pretty nailed on to start at Bournemouth as long as he's fit.

I've always thought through his whole career that he must train really, really well. He must get used to who he's up against in training, work out the best positions to get into and the best ways to make himself look good in an environment he knows. That's the only explanation I can think of for why Houllier, McLeish, Lambert and now Sherwood liked him so much.

Superb pace yes, but little or no footballing intelligence, and his finishing has never lived up to what dangerous positions he does get into.

When I've defended him in conversations with mates who support our rivals, I've always gone with how he's a big game player. He seems to find something from somewhere in big matches. But I've been disappointed with him, particularly since Young left.

A useful squad member possibly. But no more.

• Like 1

I understand he was rested for the next game.

...but I think Gabby's fun is over, his time is up. He is for a rude awakening.Sherwood isn't going to stand for the 'performances' he has put in the last few seasons.

Certainly hope so, while I don't hate him, I really do believe if we are to move forward he needs to leave the club.  Been around for too long, been part of too many poor sides, just too comfortable here.  When Sherwood made his 'loser' comment, first person that came to my mind is Gabby, he is used to losing....  He knows he's on a great wicket with us, he'll never earn the same sort of money elsewhere and if he did move he'd have work harder to make an impression, and would be judged on performances on the pitch, at this stage of his career I can see why he would't want to move.

He's not clinical enough to play centrally, lacks the technical ability and control to be an effective winger, so he needs somebody to play off and then the only real asset he brings is his pace, i.e. running at a defence to cause a distraction or make a nuisance on himself.

• Like 2

...but I think Gabby's fun is over, his time is up. He is for a rude awakening.Sherwood isn't going to stand for the 'performances' he has put in the last few seasons.

Certainly hope so, while I don't hate him, I really do believe if we are to move forward he needs to leave the club.  Been around for too long, been part of too many poor sides, just too comfortable here.  When Sherwood made his 'loser' comment, first person that came to my mind is Gabby, he is used to losing....  He knows he's on a great wicket with us, he'll never earn the same sort of money elsewhere and if he did move he'd have work harder to make an impression, and would be judged on performances on the pitch, at this stage of his career I can see why he would't want to move.

He's not clinical enough to play centrally, lacks the technical ability and control to be an effective winger, so he needs somebody to play off and then the only real asset he brings is his pace, i.e. running at a defence to cause a distraction or make a nuisance on himself.

I have never been a gabby fan but I do think that sometimes it pays to have a senior player that has been around since his youth. It's like having an ambassador of the club around the players reminding them just who they are playing for and how great the club is. I'm sure managers at most clubs can appreciate the value of having someone like that in their squad. Sure he isn't the best striker however he has been played out of position for so long now what do people really expect?! He isn't exactly the worst striker out there either and until such a time whereby we are blessed with an abundance of striking options I would personally keep him. 

Gabby hasn't been effective since Young left, he used to bury those dangerous inswinging crosses from the left for fun, he needs to play in a MON-style team again to get the best out of him. Direct, Counter-attacking blitzes and Gabby would score loads. 

Or be up front and have a supply.

Gabby hasn't been effective since Young left, he used to bury those dangerous inswinging crosses from the left for fun, he needs to play in a MON-style team again to get the best out of him. Direct, Counter-attacking blitzes and Gabby would score loads. 

He really wouldn't. He isn't very good. Truth be told, he never has been.

• Like 1

IN Gabby defence his performance improved when Tim took over

We've spent years ignoring Gabby's strengths and playing to his weaknesses through a combination of tactically limited managers and midfielders of limited ability.

Gabby isn't without blame obviously but we've done little make the most of him either.

Limited though he is I like Gabby and always will.

• Like 4

I dont mind him but he is very frustrating but then again he has got a lot of important goals for the club down through the years. His record in derbies are impressive and he has goals in wins over City, Liverpool, United, Arsenal and Chelsea

He has been an epitome of the club, for most of his career.

I don't dislike him, just never rated him as highly as some villa fans.

for me, when a player with limited ability/effectiveness is accepted....its basically accepting mediocrity.

Edited by TRO

Gabby might not be flavour of the month at the moment, and he does seem to be getting fatter and lazier, but he is still very very fast, he's scored a lot of vital goals for us at important times, and I think a lot of people didn't notice that in spite of his poor performances for the last few months there have been games in the last three seasons where he has carried the team.

He's also a Villan through and through, so as far as I'm concerned he can stick around as long as he wants.

Jack Grealish and his family are Villa through and through and so was Mark Albrighton and many other players who did not make it......and if Jack don't deliver,  nepotism won't save him with me

Most of our best players over the years have been brought up following other teams and equally other players at other clubs are Villa fans too.....so I have never been sure of the relevance, except a bit of romance.

I have never bought in to all this " one of us" theories.

Its there job/profession.....They are there, to deliver performances.....If top clubs came in for them they would be gone, just like the others, the reason they stay is because no one of relevance wants them.

We want the players to be winners.....a few off the terraces would do well to emulate that and stop making cases for average/inconsistent performance.

Edited by TRO

Â