Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

i said id of rather of kept Bent.i just always assumed the main purpose of a striker was to score goals

if Bent would of got some service he'd of scored.same with Benteke last season prior to Sherwood taking over

Just no
Because clearly Gabbys better than a proven goal scorer[emoji20]

obviously my own opinion and i cannot be botherd arguin the benefits of having a goal scorer over gabby..but hey Gabby has got pace [emoji4]

Edited by Villan81

Every time I see this thread updated or close to th top of the list of threads I always hope it's because someone has made a bid or he'll be leaving. Disappointed to find its not that

If he left though we'd be left with these options as strikers/attacking players:

Benteke- 50/50 he stays, might be optimistic with that ratio.

Sinclair- Think he'll surprise a few next season, did well enough in cameos.

Kozak- Last played a game in December 2013

Robinson- Just a kid and hasn't played above league one level

Helenius- No future here.

N'zogbia- Should be no future here.

Grealish- Excellent.

Cole- Sherwood's bookies buddy.

Gil- Still here I think.

So yes while I accept why some posters want to see him moved on, I'm not sure this is the best summer to do it unless people are magically us to sign 3 new strikers for about 5m. Bent and Weimann aren't here anymore to warm the bench so we need Gabby and Sinclair for that now.

i said id of rather of kept Bent.i just always assumed the main purpose of a striker was to score goals

if Bent would of got some service he'd of scored.same with Benteke last season prior to Sherwood taking over

You're having a laugh with that comment I think, Benteke dosen't actually tend to score 5 yard tap ins, his goals are mostly excellent individual efforts or cracking headers from crosses.

Look at the QPR hattrick, Bent would never have score 3 in that game in a million years. This isn't the Darren Bent of 2009 people, he struggles at the top level nowadays.

If we judge Gabby by his form since Sherwood took over then i think it's fair to say he was a key player until he got injured. If he can stay fit and played in correct position he will be a key player next season and I'm sure dropped in no time if not producing the goods.

For the person who said he would rather have Bent...I'm just lost for words.

Dropped for who?

As it stands this is a position that needs to be strengthened otherwise we head into next season stating "well we have no one better.."

Anyone! Sherwood doesn't seem to be the kind of player to not drop somebody who isn't pulling their weight.
Seems to persist with N'Zogbia.
I was kind of waiting for that one but until the last 3 games of season where pretty much everyone was crap. Did N'Zogbia not pull his weight?
No, not really. He isn't good enough and I expect and hope someone else starts in that position next season, doesn't produce enough to warrant a starting role.

You're having a laugh with that comment I think, Benteke dosen't actually tend to score 5 yard tap ins, his goals are mostly excellent individual efforts or cracking headers from crosses.

Look at the QPR hattrick, Bent would never have score 3 in that game in a million years. This isn't the Darren Bent of 2009 people, he struggles at the top level nowadays.

actualy meant befor sherwood came when goals wasnt happening

point was that Bent would score goals and Gabby doesnt

If we judge Gabby by his form since Sherwood took over then i think it's fair to say he was a key player until he got injured. If he can stay fit and played in correct position he will be a key player next season and I'm sure dropped in no time if not producing the goods.

For the person who said he would rather have Bent...I'm just lost for words.

Dropped for who?

As it stands this is a position that needs to be strengthened otherwise we head into next season stating "well we have no one better.."

Anyone! Sherwood doesn't seem to be the kind of player to not drop somebody who isn't pulling their weight.
Seems to persist with N'Zogbia.
I was kind of waiting for that one but until the last 3 games of season where pretty much everyone was crap. Did N'Zogbia not pull his weight?
No, not really. He isn't good enough and I expect and hope someone else starts in that position next season, doesn't produce enough to warrant a starting role.

Bit unfair IMO considering he was playing his part when winning games.

Been playing the 'one of us' card for way too long, pace and not a lot else, and I'm afraid and his pace is not what it was.

Has seemed lazy and disinterested for most of the last few seasons (admittedly with some periods of sparadic form).

Needs to leave (for him and us), but with him contracted until 2018, and most likely earning in excess of £50k a week I can't see anyone taking him off us.

Yes because Bent came create goals out of nothing of course as he frequently did in the McLeish era.....

Gabby at least scored in the Southampton game....Bent came on and was atrocious so much we sent him on loan to Derby the morning after.

Yes because Bent came create goals out of nothing of course as he frequently did in the McLeish era.....

Gabby at least scored in the Southampton game....Bent came on and was atrocious so much we sent him on loan to Derby the morning after.

thats your argument...gabby scoring in the southampton game?

yes was a bad game for bent how many of them has gabby had tho?

No just this idea that Bent was the solution to the dismal goalscoring droughts we had in the winter...look back to the games we barely crossed the halfway line in some of them like Everton and West Ham away, I went to both.

The goals Benteke scored against Palace and Man. United were totally created by himself...Bent would've pulled a hamstring attempting the Palace one.

At least Gabby can play a couple of different positions across the forward line and on an increasingly rare good day can still petrify a back 4 with his pace even if it only seems to be only Sunderland these days.

Bent has been finished at premier league level for a long time now.

Will be straight rotation between him and Sinclair if we keep the present formation....and N'zogbia if he worms another year out of us so I'd be amazed if he starts anywhere near the games he usually does every season.

Still useful for Sunderland away and the local derbies so he can start those.

Everytime i see his name at the top of the forum i get excited that he is going or gone.  Then i read it and just realize its people saying how bad he is. 

Can we lock this thread until we at least get a glimmer of someone interested in taking him, not that i think it will ever be unlocked if we do it.

I dunno why you'd be excited to see him leave?

I can understand not thinking he's very good and that he shouldn't play as much as he does.

But being excited he's leaving seems a strange opinion.

I'll be quite sad to see him leave even though I completely agree with the opinion that he's not good enough to be a starter for us.

No just this idea that Bent was the solution to the dismal goalscoring droughts we had in the winter...look back to the games we barely crossed the halfway line in some of them like Everton and West Ham away, I went to both.

The goals Benteke scored against Palace and Man. United were totally created by himself...Bent would've pulled a hamstring attempting the Palace one.

At least Gabby can play a couple of different positions across the forward line and on an increasingly rare good day can still petrify a back 4 with his pace even if it only seems to be only Sunderland these days.

im not saying he would of been the solution.point im getting that is if you put the ball into the box out of Gabby and Bent its my opinion Bent would score more of the chances than if same chances had fell to gabby

so in my own opinion id prefer Bent to Gabby

in regards to Benteke i wasnt even trying to compare him to Bent theres no point.i was saying that he would of got more goals had there been more/better service

yes he has scored quality individual goals but hes not gonna turn his back on a 6 yard chance because it wouldn't be spectacular nor individual

im saying i would prefer a proven scorer over a sprinter.

im not saying he would of been the solution.point im getting that is if you put the ball into the box out of Gabby and Bent its my opinion Bent would score more of the chances than if same chances had fell to gabby

so in my own opinion id prefer Bent to Gabby

in regards to Benteke i wasnt even trying to compare him to Bent theres no point.i was saying that he would of got more goals had there been more/better service

yes he has scored quality individual goals but hes not gonna turn his back on a 6 yard chance because it wouldn't be spectacular nor individual

im saying i would prefer a proven scorer over a sprinter.

Bent wouldn't be in the box though, he would be blowing out of his arse 30 yards out.

Â