Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

His and our best times in recent years have been when we've played in a way that makes the most of his ability. He's not a clever player and his not gifted with great talent, but when he's allowed to be direct and we use his pace and strength (even though he is a yard slower now) he causes teams problems and he will get goals. Not prolific, but he will chip in his fair share.

Unfortunately we've not done this consistently in years. Somehow manager after manager just decided pace belongs on the wings and made him a wider player which neutralises him as anything other an outlet when under the cosh.

If Tim is prepared to make him more of a focal point again I think we'll see a resurgence.

• Like 2

We've spent years ignoring Gabby's strengths and playing to his weaknesses through a combination of tactically limited managers and midfielders of limited ability.

Gabby isn't without blame obviously but we've done little make the most of him either.

Limited though he is I like Gabby and always will.

With respect, I think we as a club have done everything to make the most of him.

His and our best times in recent years have been when we've played in a way that makes the most of his ability. He's not a clever player and his not gifted with great talent, but when he's allowed to be direct and we use his pace and strength (even though he is a yard slower now) he causes teams problems and he will get goals. Not prolific, but he will chip in his fair share.

Unfortunately we've not done this consistently in years. Somehow manager after manager just decided pace belongs on the wings and made him a wider player which neutralises him as anything other an outlet when under the cosh.

If Tim is prepared to make him more of a focal point again I think we'll see a resurgence.

I respect your view.....but all the managers out there......that favour pace down the middle, why don't they see this and come in for him.....particularly as any of our players show the slightest sign of anything.....they are gone.

We've spent years ignoring Gabby's strengths and playing to his weaknesses through a combination of tactically limited managers and midfielders of limited ability.

Gabby isn't without blame obviously but we've done little make the most of him either.

With respect, I think we as a club have done everything to make the most of him.

Well I completely disagree but that is football.

Well I completely disagree but that is football.

It would be a funny old world if we all agreed.....and this forum would lose its interest.

All fans have players they look out for and that is typical of all clubs too.

There are many things we can all agree on and some we can't.

Hopefully his time will be limited with Ayew now at the club

I'd doubt it will make a difference as Ayew is Benteke's replacement. I think it's a 1 in 1 out policy and until that changes we'll struggle every season. We need to be signed 2 or 3 players for everyone we sell as we have a lot of players with little to no re-sale value.

I'd doubt it will make a difference as Ayew is Benteke's replacement. I think it's a 1 in 1 out policy and until that changes we'll struggle every season. We need to be signed 2 or 3 players for everyone we sell as we have a lot of players with little to no re-sale value.

I think it will drastically affect his game time with Ayew there now but I dont think Ayew is Bentekes

replacement,Ithink that will be Adebayor

• Like 2

Why do people only ever judge him on goals stats?

Why not just go watch us play...

He frustrating as **** but he dos t deserve the grief he gets from our own fans

My understanding is he doesn't get grief.....He gets fans that don't rate him as much as others.

Look, with all the players that we have had and played better than gabby ( arguably, opinion led) and have also disrespected us.....Gabby has not, so I can understand the endearment he attracts.

I was the same with Gary Shaw, not because he was from Kings Hurst, but because paradoxically despite his lack of pace, he was a fine intelligent footballer.

I too make my judgment on Gabby's  overall play, not his goals tally, which is not much to write home about.....I guess a lot of it is down to what we all look for in a player....and we all look for different things.

I had a similar frustration with Darius Vassell, when certain fans were waxing lyrical about him running the channels as if it was the be all and end all.....I was looking for a bit more than that.

I am not suggesting we can attract a Louis Suarez to the club.....but it would be something to get a player that is at least a poor resemblance or on similar lines

Edited by TRO

Ayew is nothing like benteke he's a number two that can play out wide

• Like 1

Gabby like a few others i could mention have personally benefited from the lack of competition( not his fault).....whether that has been good for his game,I'm not so sure.....bringing in a few new faces up front will make or break him.

Football is played from the head.....That is where Gabby struggles imo......That is not written to be disrespectful, its just my observation.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Well potentially for once he could find himself having a real battle to get time on the pitch.

Ayew, Kozak, Adebayor (potentially), Gabby, Robinson and Sellars all available.

We 'should' be able to have 2 decent striking options from the bench too.

We can only name a squad of 25 outside of the youth. It has to be 1 in 1 out. 

If someone like Bournemouth or Norwich offered 2M i'd bite their hands off

seeing as norwich paid that for jerome, and paid nearly 3 times that for hooper, both are worse than gabby, then you throw in grabban and lafferty who are also worse than gabby, i dont see why you value him so low

if we ever put him up for sale (we wont) we'd be getting £8-10m for him quite easy

You are talking about squad numbers, but Ayew is in Agbonlahor's position. Hopefully that means Agbonlahor will be a squad player.

Â