Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Strking options currently....

Benteke- crossing the Mersey as we speak so can't count on him for certain for next season.

Kozak- last played December 2013.

Sinclair- probably a viable option to play off main striker but the way sherwood was speaking last season I think Sinclair is more likely to be getting a regular game playing left in a 4-4-2 like he did when he first came.

Robinson- some promising cameos but since then he hasn't played above league 1 and seemed to dip a bit at PNE towards the end of the season.

I know I keep repeating myself but just amuses me so many are wanting Gabby out of the door as when you analyise it our strking options aren't actually that great as things stand atm so would be madness to get rid of a relatively proven premier league strikers.

Way it is. we kept the 4-3-2-1, I don't see where he fits into that as technically not good enough to play one of the number 10 roles. 4-4-2 he'll start more often than not.

.....Cameo's are something we must move away from.....its woolly.

I would suspect Tim Sherwood is looking for Full On Players , with consistency of performances .... we need players we can hang our hat on.

This ..... jam tomorrow approach will have us flirting with relegation every season....Everyone associated with the club should raise their expectations.

Not sure how a young kid can show anything other than cameos really...Grealish for example had a couple of promising cameos first half of the season.

Not sure what the plan is with Robinson, probably a loan to the championship or league one again early part of the season.

Not sure how a young kid can show anything other than cameos really...Grealish for example had a couple of promising cameos first half of the season.

Not sure what the plan is with Robinson, probably a loan to the championship or league one again early part of the season.

I understand that Chris, but What I'm saying is we have had too many false dawns and must be firm with our appraisals....we have seen over the years kids like Andy Gray, Brian Little, Trevor Francis,Kenny Burns,Gareth Barry, Gary Shaw....do the business at a young age in our city.

Its a tough business and you have to deliver.....there is no room for pussy footing....it'll take you down.

Edited by TRO

Gabby is absolute dog cack, let's all be honest here!! he will get about 3 goals next season if he is lucky...

Can't understand why some fans are still praising him because of half a good season 5/6 years ago and calling him Villa through and through just because he was born local when it is a well known fact he is an Arsenal and not Villa fan...

• Like 1

Gabby is absolute dog cack, let's all be honest here!! he will get about 3 goals next season if he is lucky...

Can't understand why some fans are still praising him because of half a good season 5/6 years ago and calling him Villa through and through just because he was born local when it is a well known fact he is an Arsenal and not Villa fan...

Oh because you can never change or grow a huge love for a club to make you a big fan...Wasnt he like 10 when he supported Arsenal? And he probably only supported them because his dad did (or something). Even then...he clearly loves A.Villa so who cares if he supported some random club when he was a kid (or now)

Carragher was/is an Everton fan and hes liverpool through&through now.

Edited by gharperr

if those 3 goals get us 9 points... (check a few pages back, i posted something about gabby being about 19th in league for important goals winning points, ahead of benteke, his 6 goals "won" us 7 points least season)

and it'll still be more goals than current england international reg vardy

you might not understand why some villa fans still praise him, which to be fair most dont, most just remember what he can do when he finds form and are more frustrated that his form fluctuates so much, id say i dont understand why so many villa fans are so desperate to get rid of him almost to the point where they seemingly dont want him to succeed and certainly at least refuse to acknowledge when he does do something decent 

VillaChris is right, look at the options we currently have, selling gabby doesnt make sense

i also dont get those calling for sinclair to start ahead of him, sinclair IMO looks like hes going to have a worse injury record, and 30 leagues and 1 league goal in 3 years suggests he's not going to be any better

Edited by villa4europe

Benteke- crossing the Mersey as we speak so can't count on him for certain for next season.

Sinclair- probably a viable option to play off main striker but the way sherwood was speaking last season I think Sinclair is more likely to be getting a regular game playing left in a 4-4-2 like he did when he first came.

Robinson- some promising cameos but since then he hasn't played above league 1 and seemed to dip a bit at PNE towards the end of the season.

I know I keep repeating myself but just amuses me so many are wanting Gabby out of the door as when you analyise it our strking options aren't actually that great as things stand atm so would be madness to get rid of a relatively proven premier league strikers.

Way it is. we kept the 4-3-2-1, I don't see where he fits into that as technically not good enough to play one of the number 10 roles. 4-4-2 he'll start more often than not.

Sadly you're right, we aren't blessed with options and the average Gabby is sitting pretty. It's actually not a bad place for a young striker to wait his chance..

I expect we'll replace Tekkers if he goes but at least it seems as though Sherwood realises Gabby simply isn't a top Prem striker, let's see if he can make it as a mid table one.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Sadly you're right, we aren't blessed with options and the average Gabby is sitting pretty.

I expect we'll replace Tekkers if he goes but at least it seems as though Sherwood realises Gabby simply isn't a top Prem striker, let's see if he can make it as a mid table one.

I do recall him saying that Gabby and Benteke were the two best strikers outside the top 4...or was it the best strike partnership.

Either way, think we will see two up top next year and Gabby will be one of them.

Lets face it, Gabby is one of the reasons we have struggled.  In the last 60 or so PL appearances he has scored 10 goals – 6 in 2014 and 4 in 2013.  That’s just not good enough not matter how you cut it.  To get anywhere near mid table we will need 40+ goals.  If one of our main attackers is getting 4-6 goals we are screwed.  Don’t get me wrong, I like the guy, but we need better quality, especially with Christian moving.  We are now going to be far more reliant on players sharing the goals and we cannot carry anyone.

• Like 2

Does anyone think, the correlation of the team being absolute shite may have coincided with Gabby being less than spectacular? When we finished 6th 3 times in a row was he shite? He was one of the hottest properties in the game at one point, he is not as terrible as people make out ffs. Once again, he is good to have around the place, and will finish his career with us. As I say, most football fans either have very short memories, or maybe are younger than I so can;t appreciate what he has brought? Maybe I am partial because I grew up, watching him develop.

• Like 1

Does anyone think, the correlation of the team being absolute shite may have coincided with Gabby being less than spectacular? When we finished 6th 3 times in a row was he shite? He was one of the hottest properties in the game at one point, he is not as terrible as people make out ffs. Once again, he is good to have around the place, and will finish his career with us. As I say, most football fans either have very short memories, or maybe are younger than I so can;t appreciate what he has brought? Maybe I am partial because I grew up, watching him develop.

Gabby is just one reasons we’ve struggled - there are a 100 other reasons so not trying to pin everything on him at all.  He isn’t terrible and I think he will finish his career at Villa as a squad/impact player.  But the fact is 4-6 goals as season from a first choice striker will likely see us relegated, regardless of what he did 6-7 years ago. 

He scored 12-13 goals a season when we finished 6th but to be fair to him he was playing in a much better team then.

Gabby is just one reasons we’ve struggled - there are a 100 other reasons so not trying to pin everything on him at all.  He isn’t terrible and I think he will finish his career at Villa as a squad/impact player.  But the fact is 4-6 goals as season from a first choice striker will likely see us relegated, regardless of what he did 6-7 years ago. 

He scored 12-13 goals a season when we finished 6th but to be fair to him he was playing in a much better team then.

Exactly, when we aren't tactically saying "hit it to Benteke" (because he won't be here), the focus of our attacks will change and others will become more prominent.

Gabby in a front 3 with Sinclair, Gil, Grealish etc will get about 10 goals no worries.

It's only because he's not given that opportunity that he doesn't - it's not because he can't do it, it's because we play so he doesn't do it.

I think he must keep Gabby on because signing say 3 new strikers would be unrealistic. My hope is we get 2 new forwards and Gabby remains in the squad as an impact sub and occasional starter when there are injuries etc. I always bring him off the bench on Fifa 15 with 20mins to go...

Â