Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Does anyone think, the correlation of the team being absolute shite may have coincided with Gabby being less than spectacular? When we finished 6th 3 times in a row was he shite? He was one of the hottest properties in the game at one point, he is not as terrible as people make out ffs. Once again, he is good to have around the place, and will finish his career with us. As I say, most football fans either have very short memories, or maybe are younger than I so can;t appreciate what he has brought? Maybe I am partial because I grew up, watching him develop.

Gabby is just one reasons we’ve struggled - there are a 100 other reasons so not trying to pin everything on him at all. He isn’t terrible and I think he will finish his career at Villa as a squad/impact player. But the fact is 4-6 goals as season from a first choice striker will likely see us relegated, regardless of what he did 6-7 years ago.

He scored 12-13 goals a season when we finished 6th but to be fair to him he was playing in a much better team then.

But he's not been a first choice striker has he? Maybe under MON where he scored a few more goals he was but virtually every manager since has played him as a winger. Sherwood put him back up front with Benteke and he did get a couple as well. He's capable of scoring goals (not in the 25 a season bracket, but certainly 10-15) if played as a regular striker. For a player who has cost us nothing except wages and clearly has an allegiance with the club and wants to stay for his entire career it's still baffling to me why some are so desperate for him to leave on a free transfer just to be rid of him.

If nothing else he's an excellent option to have if we need, can play in multiple positions (and is happy to play wherever he's asked) and scores some big goals in important games, an option that it would probably cost £5-10 million to replace

• Like 1

Gabby might be quick but he's very slow mentally, it breaks down our attacks and he has no idea what to actually do with the ball/where to run/move etc.

Not all his fault, Weimann was the same, Cissokho/Hutton as well, it was basically our entire flanks that were ruined and caused us issues last year. I don't expect any of them to be playing under Sherwood. 

• Like 1

I think people will be surprised to see how much he plays under Sherwood.

Without Benteke, we'll have a different attacking setup to what we've had in the last few seasons, and Gabby's pace will give defences something to think about and might create a bit of space for us. We'll see.

Problem with Gabby is that we miss his pace and movement when he doesnt play but when he does play and provides that pace and movement the end product is awful.  He doesn't have a football brain and his shooting ability is championship standard but his movement adds a different dimension to us and defenders so worry about him.  So in some ways he's a luxury player but we can't afford to have him in our starting eleven because losing that position to a player like him means we have less attacking players who are likely to score and given our midfielders dont score many that's too big of a problem to have

• Like 1

wouldnt get Mr.Aston Villa betraying the club

Betray us for who? A move back to Great Barr Falcons?

Can't see anyone close to us clamouring to sign him.

The point is, his loyalty won't be tested because nobody better than us is ever going to want him. Which is probably why he slacks off a little too regularly.

I don't think people realise just how good he is.... At being the oppositions Brest defender. The amount of attacks we've had the gabby has broken up due to his shocking touch or lack of intelligence is ridiculous, a fair few of them have them resulted in the other team going up or end and scoring. I've said it before, he averages 5 goals a season and I bet he costs us just as many if not more

• Like 3

Â