Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Didn't think he looked worse than Bacuna to be honest, overall about the same when playing in that position, Bacuna at least has more 'versatility'. 

But real shame it didn't work out, the injury did ruin him, whenever he played for us he looked a bit exposed, he doesn't really have any pace and his distribution wasn't very good. He needs a club where he's going to get a bit more continuity. Fairly sure he'll be a solid mid table Championship player over the next 5-6 years, which is hardly a bad career in the scheme of things.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's so rude, I hate it when people look at their phones over a meal. 

Yeah I get that!  They're all at it though, in fact loads or people in general do it!

The majority of our players have their phones constantly in their hands when at the club. I think that is too much.  The phones should be locked away and heads should be down!

• Like 2

Gary Gardner would be playing for a Top 6 PL club and England right now had he not got the injuries, he was that good. I accept that he isn't good enough for our team, even in the lowered position we find ourselves in currently, but I don't understand the contempt that a large number of our fans talk about him with both at the ground and on social networking, he seems a nice lad. Very unfortunate.

Edited by Woody1000
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Gary Gardner would be playing for a Top 6 PL club and England right now had he not got the injuries, he was that good. I accept that he isn't good enough for our team, even in the lowered position we find ourselves in currently, but I don't understand the contempt that a large number of our fans talk about him with both at the ground and on social networking, he seems a nice lad. Very unfortunate.

Tbh I've never understood that about any Villa player that gives it his all for the club. Even Westwood. It's not like they pick themselves to play. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

When has he ever been that good?! Craig Gardner was the better of the two. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Well that basically sums it up for me. First he deserves some sympathy for some horrific injuries. Right, done that, what else. Massive opinion based hyperbole that probably did more harm than good. Followed by acceptance that he's just not good enough. Also he seems like a nice bloke. And that humans can say some pretty disgusting things at football matches and on the internet.

He's not combative enough to sit deep, he's no great passer of the ball, not a great dribbler. What does he do? He's 25 and almost played as many games for Forest in 2 loans as he has for us in 7 years. He got chances last year and hardly shone. And before anyone says 'he's got a shot on him', so did Tonev.

Ok, so we have a header in the derby to thank him for. But I feel the people who rate him highest are those select few that saw or followed his youth career and those that rate him the least are judging him on what he's shown as a professional footballer. Which aint much. He must be about 7/8th choice midfielder at this point so wtf is he still doing here?

I don't think anyone here wishes him harm and we'll all mostly wish him well for the future. But it's time to end this madness and cut the apron strings.

Spot on, Marv.

I didn't watch him at 18/19 so only really have his first team performances to go on, and they have been awful. I don't think he is a championship standard player in truth. He needs to move on for his own sake as he won't get a game this season.

Wish him all the best and thank him for that great moment he gave us up at the sty. 

• Like 1

Tonev didn't have a shot on him! Ballooning the ball into the stands every single time you shoot is not having a shot! :P I had to use all the italics bold underlines because it needs that much emphasis.

I don't think he ever got one on target.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Tonev didn't have a shot on him! Ballooning the ball into the stands every single time you shoot is not having a shot! :P I had to use all the italics bold underlines because it needs that much emphasis.

pretty good comparison to Gardner then ;)

12 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

I don't remember much contempt for him, just a bit of disappointment. Maybe he could have been a world beater, I dunno, I'm sure he loves the villa too, but sentimentality won't get us promoted and I have to say I am glad he's moving on, it's time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Man U away he hit the crossbar with a smashing shot if I remember correctly. I wonder what Tonev is up to nowadays... 

13 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

When has he ever been that good?! Craig Gardner was the better of the two. 

Agreed.  I keep hearing people raving about his potential and how injuries have ruined him but at no point before he was injured did I ever see this potential. 

I kept hearing he was better than his brother but never saw any evidence of this. 

Every time I saw him before or since his injury my reaction has always just been meh. 

• Like 2

He never played for the first team before his first major injury. Second and third injuries came after his debut.

I saw him several times for youth set up and he did look decent to be fair. Such a big jump though, looking decent at that level really only gets you a chance then it's quickly sink or swim. 

His injuries without a doubt hindered him and he's worked very hard to get where he is. I cringe whenever I see him in the team though so will wish him well when he moves. 

He can kick a football very hard but not a lot else. 

22 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Man U away he hit the crossbar with a smashing shot if I remember correctly. I wonder what Tonev is up to nowadays... 

Off topic I know but he played a big part in that run Crotone had to keep them in Serie A last year, only scored one but it was the winner IIRC

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pure speculation that Gary Gardner signs a 3-year deal with Nottingham Forest from Aston Villa for an undisclosed fee according to this tweet (is it real?)

This image was from his loan deal and can't find news of it anywhere else....

Edited by juanpabloingram

Â