Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

He played as a CDM and was Barnsley's equal best player next to Liam Lindsay in their 0-0 draw with Wolves yesterday.

Gary Gardner Industrious shift and proved a strong force and showed his experience throughout. Very good. 8.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/barnsley-0-wolves-0-how-the-players-rated-1-8956540

Boss Praises Gardner

Paul Heckingbottom reserved special praise for Barnsley midfielder Gary Gardner who dug in and worked hard in breaking down much of Wolves' undoubted enterprise. Solihull-born Gardner (25) joined the Reds on loan from Aston Villa on August 31 last year and is slowly getting back to his best after being hampered by a number of niggling injuries. 

"Gards has done well, his fitness has got better and better," said the Barnsley boss after Gardner shone in the engine room against Wolves. 

"He had a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. 

"We were limited in the players we had available, but Gards was really good in that deeper midfield role.

"There was a lot of pressure on him without the ball, but he performed well, as did the rest of the team.

Gardner won't be eligible to play against his parent club at Villa Park on Saturday.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/barnsley-0-wolves-0-true-grit-as-reds-hold-runaway-leaders-1-8957249

It was an on-message display in which defensive aptitude and organization was eye-catching and the midfield authority of Gary Gardner, in particular, was also striking. 

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/video-the-verdict-barnsley-keep-wolves-from-the-door-with-defiant-display-1-8957615

4 clean sheets out of the last 6 for Barnsley which have all come since Gardner's first full 90 mins for them against Brentford on Dec 16. He's played a full 90 mins in every game since aside from their win against Sunderland where he went off after 74 mins with Barnsley ahead.

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

4 clean sheets out of the last 6 for Barnsley which have all come since Gardner's first full 90 mins for them against Brentford on Dec 16. He's played a full 90 mins in every game since aside from their win against Sunderland where he went off after 74 mins with Barnsley ahead.

And so without knowing anything else about the club, your conclusion is this uptick in form is down to Gardner? 

It's a shame loan players can not play against their parent clubs. Without knowing anything about the Barnsley squad, i be delighted to come up against any team with Gary Gardner as their "engine"

4 hours ago, Michael118 said:

We should have kept him to play alongside Traore, Bacuna, Cissokho and Kozak.

• Haha 2

He will always have a chance with me ,I know he hasn't fulfilled that once promising potential , but those awful injuries certainly played a part in that ,it must of been a bitter pill ,when he realized his Villa career was probably coming to an end ,after all ,he's Villa through and through ,and just for that ,I've nothing but love for him .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He will always have a chance with me ,I know he hasn't fulfilled that once promising potential , but those awful injuries certainly played a part in that ,it must of been a bitter pill ,when he realized his Villa career was probably coming to an end ,after all ,he's Villa through and through ,and just for that ,I've nothing but love for him .

Well I would prefer him as a deep lying central midfielder to Wheelan.

• Like 2

Â