Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Bit odd that he signed a new deal and now he's out. Was he told he was going to be in the team? Or did we just sign him up so he would cost the buying team more? We may have offered him a signing on free near to his value so if he wasn't going to be part of the plans he can get sold on and we get the fee back. I'm not sure that he'd have signed otherwise. unless we flat out lied to him

Unfortunately one of the ones that has to go. Not good enough for where we are and definately not where we want to be.

Good luck Gary!

Edited by Nigel

21 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think we have given Gary more than enough chances to prove himself sadly. Time for a move. Was unlucky with 2 major injuries so early in his career but to be brutally honest to  have less than 100 starts at 25 tells its own story. 

Best attribute was his long passing from difficult positions and that never materialised at senior level. Still time to learn, but perhaps not at Villa.

31 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think we have given Gary more than enough chances to prove himself sadly. Time for a move. Was unlucky with 2 major injuries so early in his career but to be brutally honest to  have less than 100 starts at 25 tells its own story. 

Yep, we've given him the opportunities and he's just not the player we thought he could be. 

Got no problem with him and wish him well at the next club. I'm sure he will have a decent career as a championship player. 

• Like 3

Its one of them that you wonder if he didnt suffer such awful injuries that he would turn out as a good player.

While he hasnt done it for us I think he could have been a good player if his weaknesses were hidden. he has a good shot, timing into the box and could have done a goalscoring midfield job for us instead of playing centre midfield

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yep, we've given him the opportunities and he's just not the player we thought he could be. 

Got no problem with him and wish him well at the next club. I'm sure he will have a decent career as a championship player. 

Good post, sums up my feelings too. 

Still really confuses me why he got a new 4 year contract. The last 2 years he's not looked at all likely to 'make it'. Wish him well, can't help but wonder what might have been had injuries not been such a massive part of his career so far.

20 hours ago, YLN said:

Bit odd that he signed a new deal and now he's out. Was he told he was going to be in the team? Or did we just sign him up so he would cost the buying team more? We may have offered him a signing on free near to his value so if he wasn't going to be part of the plans he can get sold on and we get the fee back. I'm not sure that he'd have signed otherwise. unless we flat out lied to him

The new deal would have been an investment to be sure that we would get decent money for him. Shrewd move.

• Like 2

On 21/07/2017 at 21:37, YLN said:

All the new deal did was protect his value for us.

• Like 1

Out for dinner last night with a mate looking at his Instagram feed. So defo still in the U.K.

always liked him and had him on the back of last season home shirt after his goal against the scum as I hoped he'd kick on and do something here after that. Sadly it just wasn't gonna happen here after all those injuries. I give him my best and hope he goes on to have a solid career after a move from the Villa.

It's a shame people aren't able to be a little more magnanimous when players of this nature leave,  He made no egregious slight against the club, was part of the Villa family for a number of years . I wish him well , just don't turn into Cahill, Albrighton

Good luck to him. 

But amongst midfielders like Bacuna and Westwood, he managed to look like the worst midfielder in the squad.

It's good for us if we let him go.

Â