Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

3 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

im glad you are so sure that micah wont be here , i am not

I think whether he's here or not, he wouldn't have slotted into Baker's position in the CB hierarchy.  I think he's at the bottom of the seniors, just above the likes of Mitchell Clark & Easah Suliman.  JMHO though.

To evaluate his ability you have to look at the calibar of team who bought him.  Also i think 4 mill is very good business for Villa.  We can't keep 5 or 6 CBs on the books, simple as

• Like 3

Am I the only one who is mildly pleased about this news? 

He was not good enough, never really has been, so yeah good bit of business, obviously I imagine Bruce will want to get another CB in and I would imagine whoever it is will be better then Baker, tho I am prepared to eat humble pie if not.

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 4

On 1/25/2011 at 23:34, AVFC-Prideofbrum said:

Like any player who makes a full debut, he probably deserves his own thread....be interesting to hear the thoughts of the people who have watched him more regularly in the reserves over the years. Looked solid to me, any full back at times is going to get beaten once or twice vs N'Zogbia but on the whole, thought he coped pretty well.

Just thought I'd quote the first post in the topic.

Praise for both Baker AND N'zogbia.

• Haha 1

He was doing an excellent job keeping Richards out of contention. While on the pitch, he worked well with Chester, and in the process made Johnstone look good. Had the odd clanger, but thankfully was inconsistent in that area.

Good luck Nathan, and genuinely sorry to see you go.

coming off his best season for the club so its a shame to see him go but fair play to him for wanting to play football

terry and samba not being able to play 40+ times this season would be my only concern, hopefully suliman has some playing time in him following his good summer, anything but richards

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

He was doing an excellent job keeping Richards out of contention. While on the pitch, he worked well with Chester, and in the process made Johnstone look good. Had the odd clanger, but thankfully was inconsistent in that area.

Good luck Nathan, and genuinely sorry to see you go.

In fairness, Bakers leaving has put Gabby into contention ahead of Richards. 

The likes of De Laet and Jedinak can play centre half it's the other end of the pitch which is my concern, Baker won't be missed but good luck to him, a good pro but not a very good footballer in my book.

This stinks of a purely financial decision and not a footballing one. There is zero reason to get rid of a proven player at this level when we've brought in two aging defenders. We've seen the money and not been able to turn it down. If we don't go up this season our defence will be in tatters and we're one injury away from that being the case this season too.

Chester is 28, Terry 36, Samba 33, Elphick 29, Richards 28 and irrelevant. Not much planning for the future going on is there?! But don't worry we could also use Jedinak...32.

Stupid decision UNLESS we get promoted this season (due to minimal injuries at the back) as he wasn't going to be a Prem player. But it's one hell of a gamble and an unnecessary one unless it's all for FFP.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

click

There is also a interview of him up on their site, hardly mentions Villa at all despite being here his whole career. Makes me think he didnt want to go and it was Bruces decision to sell 

He has tweeted this mate. Seems amicable enough.

• Like 3

Our problem was that he was the only saleable asset we had on the CB bench.  "Here, take Micah Richards instead" doesn't work, as much as we want it to.  Someone wanted Baker and we had to make the pragmatic decision.  The fact we got £4m bears out what I thought when I first heard it.  This transfer has FFP written all over it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No he's not, that's complete hyperbole.

We signed his replacement last week, Samba.

Thats a good point, but I think his post also factors in the inevitable departure of Elphick too.

41 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Still got Richards and Elphick

**** hell.

Unless we have some kind of highly rated young player coming in, this move stinks. Got a feeling Bree will be back-up as well.

Suliman.

26 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

At least the punters in row Z of the Trinity can take their crash helmets off now!

Good luck to the lad but not that bothered in fairness.

You mean because Samba will bomb them all the way out of the ground like he did twice against was it Shrewsbury or Walsall? :D

Â