Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I really want to hear Bruces explanation for this, no mention at all of a fee which seems strange 

Good luck Nathan and thank you for your contribution over the years. you will receive a warm welcome when you visit villa park 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

MOMS said it last week that he was on his way out. I couldn't believe it as I didn't think we would be stupid enough to sell him.

I don't mind if we get someone else in as Baker is average. However, we won't and we will go into the season an injury or two away from being in a very bad position.

Like others, I like Baker's attitude and he's decent at this level but not spectacular.  We have Chester and Terry, with Samba in reserve and I'm perfectly happy with Jedinak as an option, which he will be more consistently now we have Whelan.  Toner and Suliman have potential, too - they might not be quite ready yet (although Toner is 21 now and has a little experience) but as fifth and sixth choice I think that's fine.  (I won't even consider Richards.)

I don't think this is an FFP decision as I'm sure Baker would have wanted to jump at the chance to get first team football, which is clearly no longer on offer at Villa.  Still good to bring in a little cash and get some wages off the books all the same.  And we'd hopefully be selling him in the summer anyway if we go up.

I wish him good luck but I don't think this is a huge loss at all.

• Like 1

Makes sense for Nathan, he's at the age when he needs to be playing regularly. However an absolutely brainless decision by the club. Unbelievable.. The worst decision we have made in about a month...

I guess this rules out a back three which is the only good news out of this.

If we don't get a replacement, I don't think we stand a chance of getting promoted, as I can't see Terry or Samba being available all the time. 

If we get a good replacement in, ideally a pacey centre back, I'll somewhat forgive...

click

BAKER COMPLETES CITY SWITCH

FRIDAY, JULY 28TH 2017

City have completed the signing of Aston Villa defender Nathan Baker for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old returns to the club where he spent time on loan in 2015/16, making 38 appearances and scoring once.

He has penned a four-year contract at Ashton Gate to further strengthen the squad ahead of the 2017/18 campaign.

Head coach Lee Johnson told bcfc.co.uk: “Nathan is a quality signing. He’s a very good defender who is held in high regard.

“Nathan knows all about Bristol City, having been here before, and we now have strong competition for places in defence.

“Nathan has played in the Premier League before and is still only 26. We’re absolutely delighted to have signed a player of his quality

Baker had been with Villa since the age of 13, rising through the club’s Academy to make the first team squad in 2008.

He spent time on loan at Lincoln City and Millwall, making his first start for Villa in between the two temporary moves in January 2011 against Wigan Athletic.

On September 1st 2015, Baker joined newly-promoted City on loan for the season and was a regular in the team.

Baker also represented England at under-19, under-20 and under-21 level.

The defender will begin the 2017/18 campaign serving a one-match suspension, following a red card for Villa on the final day of last season, meaning the first league game his is eligible to play for City will be against – ironically – Birmingham City at St Andrew’s on Saturday, August 12th.

There is also a interview of him up on their site, hardly mentions Villa at all despite being here his whole career. Makes me think he didnt want to go and it was Bruces decision to sell 

Edited by Demitri_C

33 minutes ago, BOF said:

Are you really OK going into a 46 game season with Terry and Samba as 2 of the 3 centre backs (one of which will always play), from a fitness/injury point of view?

As I said in my post, we may well play 4 at the back.  2 CB's.  One as Chester, one as Terry/Samba.  Elphick and Jedinak and whatever youth players as backup.

3 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Makes sense for Nathan, he's at the age when he needs to be playing regularly. However an absolutely brainless decision by the club. Unbelievable.. The worst decision we have made in about a month...

I guess this rules out a back three which is the only good news out of this.

If we don't get a replacement, I don't think we stand a chance of getting promoted, as I can't see Terry or Samba being available all the time. 

If we get a good replacement in, ideally a pacey centre back, I'll somewhat forgive...

I agree I think we had a good choice of CBS and I bet now we get injuries in this area. I would now keep elphick as i cant trust richards at CB if Samba and Terry get injured 

I also dont think think playing Jedinak regularly at CB is a good idea either 

I am very curious about the fee we received. make me think the clubs desperate to get money due to the reckless spending last summer on shit players like tishbola and mccormack 

Edited by Demitri_C

Just now, bobzy said:

As I said in my post, we may well play 4 at the back.  2 CB's.  One as Chester, one as Terry/Samba.  Elphick and Jedinak and whatever youth players as backup.

So you are happy then.  That's all I asked :)  I'm not as happy as you are about it, because once you lose one of Chester and Terry, I think the quality quickly falls away and you've immediately got a problem at CB.  IMHO.

One of the worst defenders I've ever seen at PL level, but was competent for us in the championship. Would have been a fine back-up but I don't begrudge him wanting to play more. He tried at least which is far more than can be said for a large number of recent players we've suffered through. Good luck to him.

2 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

If we don't get a replacement, I don't think we stand a chance of getting promoted

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous!

He's a nice lad and good that he was brought through the Acadamy, but he's an average to good CB.

For the 5 or 6 games that Samba, Chester or Terry cant make Jedinak can more than adequately fill Baker's boots.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

So you are happy then.  That's all I asked :)  I'm not as happy as you are about it, because once you lose one of Chester and Terry, I think the quality quickly falls away and you've immediately got a problem at CB.  IMHO.

"Happy" might be strong, but I don't see much difference between Baker and Elphick and Jedinak in terms of quality for covering CB.  Therefore, it's an issue if we pick up 2 long term CB injuries at the same time... but would've been an issue anyway.

Agreed that there's now a lack of depth if we aim to play 3 CBs first team this season, though.

Mirror reckon its 4m

If thats the case thats a good deal for us I have to say 

Aston Villa sell £4million defender Nathan Baker to Bristol City in bid to balance crazy spending spree

Steve Bruce's side have been trying to get rid of Ross McCormack, Gary Gardner and Tommy Elphick, who did not take part to the club's trip to Germany

Aston Villa have offloaded Nathan Baker to Championship rivals Bristol City as they try to balance the books.

Villa have again spent big this summer bringing in John Terry , Glenn Whelan and Ahmed Elmohamady.

But Villa CEO Keith Wyness is mindful of meeting Financial Fair Play rules.

Boss Steve Bruce has also given fellow free agent and centre-back Chris Samba a contract.

Now Villa have brought in £4million for left-sided homegrown centre-back Baker.

Nathan Baker in action during his time at Villa Park (Image: Getty Images)

Baker, 26, is highly-regarded at Ashton Gate where he had a successful loan in 2015/2016.

He played 34 times for Villa last season but fell behind Terry, Samba and Chester in the defensive pecking order.

Villa are also willing to listen to offers for Ross McCormack, Gary Gardner and Tommy Elphick, who were omitted from the club's recent trip to Germany.

Meanwhile, Aaron Tshibola has joined MK Dons on a season-long loan, left-back Aly Cissokho is heading to Turkey and Jordan Veretout has moved to Fiorentina.

Although the bit in bold is laughable as we paid less than 3m in transfer fees for all 3

Edited by Demitri_C

I don't think it makes much sense for us, but for him it's a good move.  We are getting rid of a decent championship centre half in his mid-20s having signed two ancient ones.  It just seems like a lot of upheaval with little upside for us.

Â