Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Would rather keep him in the squad than Elphick, he had a solid season last year and is fine at this level.

Can understand why we took the money, wonder if we inquired about getting Aiden Flint in a swop, he was linked with us earlier in the summer.

• Like 2

He has not been great for us.  But last year was his best.  It's a running joke that he gets a concussion every few minutes, but I always saw that as an indication that he has never been afraid to get his body into harms way in order to win a ball.  

Never had to worry about his commitment and Villa has not been able to say that about far too many in recent years.  I wish him fantastic luck and continued improvement any time he is not playing us.  (and good health)

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

For £4m they've got a bargain - he's alway been the kind of defender that was going to take a few years weeding out his mistakes and figuring out his weaknesses - I reckon last season we saw him start to do that. I think he'll go on to have a good career. Not sure it's a good decision on our part to sell. 

I'm not so sure we would have sold had we managed to offload Amavi and McCormack.  I think the fact that we are struggling to offload them may have been behind the thinking on this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

Strange one, I've always liked him, commited and was a solid defender, even in the premier league

He wasn't that solid in the premier league, plenty of own goals, sliced clearences and lunges in the penalty area at that level (although he'd have probably done better than the hapless Richards-Lescott combination).

It's a shame he's leaving with Terry coming in, think he could've advised Baker a fair bit on not always having to dive in for challenges.

• Like 1

what a shockingly bad piece of business.  him and chester were easily our best cb pair last year and arguably the best we've had for some seasons.  he's relatively young still and i think would have improved.  we're now gambling on terry and/or samba staying fit and in form to avoid having to play elphick or possibly even that lazy scum richards.  unless jedi is going to drop back.

• Like 3

I like Baker, always have done. If it is his decision then it's a weird one because being around John Terry and learning from one of the best English defenders of our generation could have been very valuable for him.

Elphick and Richards should have been pushed out of the door quicker than Baker but I am very surprised that this has happened so quickly and under the noses of everyone. Once upon a time we hoped that him and Clark could have made a good partnership but they're both gone now. Not many players left from the PL era now. 

This makes me think that Bruce is trying to find a way to fit both Jedinak and Whelan into the team. I was thinking he would switch to 3 centre backs with Baker left side. I'm now thinking it will be Terry left side and Samba or Jedinak in the middle. 

I'm really not sure we've done the right thing here and worry what will happen if Terry or Chester are out for any given time.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I worry about a Jedinak-Terry-Samba back three - it's a one shot deal, if we don't go up, we'd need to replace all three.

I think we have put all our eggs in one basket this season. We are gambling big time on promotion.

Could be dark times ahead as I don't think we are going to go up. 

Â