Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

A bit surprised to see it when it was announced but it makes sense I guess. At his age he's probably not too keen coming off the bench. Although I do wonder what the insurance plan is if Terry/Chester/Samba suffer long term injuries. 

My main concern is next summer we need two cbs! If we don't go up we are screwed. In fact i think we moght need three as cant see chester sticming around for  3rd year in the championship.

Have to say i like the look of flint no idea why we are not bidding for him. Off to blose as well which makes it even worse!

Big mistake this, Baker finally had a good CB as partner (Chester) and showed how much he could improve last season. playing/training with Terry would have been great for him & us.

Alas we still have Richards

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Big mistake this, Baker finally had a good CB as partner (Chester) and showed how much he could improve last season. playing/training with Terry would have been great for him & us.

Alas we still have Richards

I don't quite agree with this.

I agree that Baker was good last season, and I agree with the sentiment that letting him go was a bad move.

But I don't think baker improved that much. it's just that we dropped down to a level that was more suited to him. By all accounts he was good when he was on loan at Bristol previously.

It's the same with Ciaran Clark. People saying "look how good he was when he left Villa!". Well yeah, he was good, but that's because he was playing for a good team in the Championship as opposed to a shit team in the Premier League. I expect him to struggle next season in the Prem.

So yeah, I like Baker, he's good at this level, but I don't think he had some big miraculous improvement. The championship just suits him.

And as I've said previously, the silver lining for us is we've gotten rid of the worst hoofer in the team. For as well as Baker defended, with the ball at his feet he is poor.

Edited by Stevo985

10 hours ago, One For The Road said:

At least we have Samba. Lol. Genuinely can't believe we let Baker go to bring in Chris Samba. Absolute madness.

Let him go? Or did he leave for first team football?

11 hours ago, One For The Road said:

At least we have Samba. Lol. Genuinely can't believe we let Baker go to bring in Chris Samba. Absolute madness.

Meh, given that the plan is to get promoted then it doesn't really matter who we have as we would have to get rid of them next summer as neither is good enough for the top flight. Having Samba in on a 1 year deal makes that a lot simpler. 

14 hours ago, One For The Road said:

That's not really a fair representation of what happened though really, is it?

Â