Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

It wouldn't be a complete surprise to see the very highly rated Jacob Bedeau feature either.  He seems to be getting fast-tracked, although he does seem extremely young.

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Mirror reckon its 4m

If thats the case thats a good deal for us I have to say 

Although the bit in bold is laughable as we paid less than 3m in transfer fees for all 3

No, its not always about the fee you pay for a player, but the wages and signing on fees they command.

Those 3 are all premier league players that find them selves in the championship, so will be in the higher bracket of earners here. 

I know we had this exact debate a few weeks ago, but I stand by what I said then and this article agrees with that chain of thought

• Like 1

Gary Cahill, Ciaran Clark, Nathan Baker?

If any of the latter 2 get anywhere close to the first we deserve a belting.

They are still very young defenders ffs, and in my view still had the potential to improve immensely.

Adding to them being one of "Ours"

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

It wouldn't be a complete surprise to see the very highly rated Jacob Bedeau feature either.  He seems to be getting fast-tracked, although he does seem extremely young.

That did cross my mind. Barry was about the same age when he got into the team to be fair. If he is good enough...

Sad to see Baker go, thought he was fantastic last season. Played a huge part in those record run of clean sheets we had.

Complimented Chester, who is quite small for a centre back, so Baker would win all the headers and Chester the more tidy one. Was probably the best centre back partnership in the league last season. I'm not sure why Bruce has decided to fix a problem that didn't exist rather than make much effort in areas we were weak. 

If we don't go up this season we will have a problem at centre back next season, especially if Chester has another good year and wants to try his luck in the top division again the following year.

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I'm not sure why Bruce has decided to fix a problem that didn't exist rather than make much effort in areas we were weak.

I think TBH it's no more complicated than the fact he just sold a sub for £4m while battling FFP.  We can rightly complain and argue about why he shouldn't have, but that's what it is at the end of the day.

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think TBH it's no more complicated than the fact he just sold a sub for £4m while battling FFP.  We can rightly complain and argue about why he shouldn't have, but that's what it is at the end of the day.

yeah I agree 4m is a good deal as thats what I would say he is worth. 

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't think it's as simple as that, the resources spent on Terry could have been better spent on positions we were weak in.

Yes we get £4m for Baker, but that's roughly what we are paying Terry just for this one season. 

If you had a choice of Baker for another 7-10 years or Terry for just 1 year... considering our defence was absolutely fine last season - I'd choose Baker.

Yes it is what it is, but needn't have been, especially if we struggle to score goals again and fail to get promoted.

• Like 2

Always liked him, too brave for his own good at times and i genuinely hope the amount of times he gets smashed in the head has no long term effect on his health.

Would much rather we get rid of some of the other crap before someone who always gives everything. Good luck to him but i can't help feel that this is probably his level and if we go up this year we will need better defenders than Baker in the prem

24 minutes ago, BOF said:

No complaints here, I think it's a great bit of business.

• Like 1

Terry for one season or Baker for 7 seasons, Terry all day got me, he will not just bring all round better natural ability but also a leadership we haven't seen for a decade or more to this club and it should in turn propel the other players around him to play at a higher level, Baker was never ever going to bring that to this club, hence the move to Bristol. 

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

I think he's adequate back up for this level. Now I am worried that we are relying on Samba and Terry to be fit for 40 plus games to get us through this season. 

He is, no argument but it's also good money for a player that might not play and that isn't good enough to get in the team.

We need to balance the books with FFP and I think it's fair to assume they were banking on  Amavi going for twice what we've got for Baker.

There are other players I'm sure we would rather sell but the offers aren't on those players.

On your last point, we aren't. We are depending on Terry, Samba, Chester and possibly Elphick to get us to Christmas.

If we are short then we can always add a CB if need be. But I suspect we will either be using youth like Suliman as additional cover or potentially a young defender in on loan this window. If we think Suliman might be good enough I'd rather have him as 4th choice and take the money for Baker who isn't going to get any better.

I'm pretty comfortable with the decision.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Gary Cahill, Ciaran Clark, Nathan Baker?

If any of the latter 2 get anywhere close to the first we deserve a belting.

They are still very young defenders ffs, and in my view still had the potential to improve immensely.

Adding to them being one of "Ours"

I sometimes think of them as still being young mate, possibly due to it not seeming five minutes since I watched them for the youth team, but Baker is 26 and Clark will be 28 in September. This is probably as good as they will ever be and they are in their peak years.

I can't fault either of them in terms of attitude but in terms of ability as our squad stands now neither would be first choice and would be relying on us getting a couple of injuries/suspensions for some game time. If we get back to the Prem then I think they have both shown that they struggle at that level.

• Like 2

Â