Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If the fee is 1-3m its a pretty stupid deal as cant see who we can get better for that money 

I don't think we will be trying to replace him tbh

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

This is a mistake IMO.  But more than that, it probably shows us just how desperate they are to resolve FFP.  We're selling our 1st choice CB sub.  We shouldn't be doing that.  Hopefully there'll be someone coming in because we're about to be light in that department.  Samba is now our only CB sub on the basis that Elphick is probably gone, de Laet is made of styrofoam and Richards is Micah Richards.

Defence was our strong point last season, and Baker contributed towards that.  We need to replace his quality in that squad.

We may well be playing with 4 at the back - Chester/Terry/Samba/Elphick is more than adequate for a Championship season in central defence.  Jedinak can play there if needed too.  I don't know how much faith Bruce will put in our youth players either.

Baker isn't a necessity IMO and if he wants to leave for first team football then fair play to him.  He's a limited defender who gives his all.  I'd happily keep him as backup but would be equally happy to sell him on.

(How solid is this link, btw?)

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

We may well be playing with 4 at the back - Chester/Terry/Samba/Elphick is more than adequate for a Championship season in central defence.  Jedinak can play there if needed too.  I don't know how much faith Bruce will put in our youth players either.

Baker isn't a necessity IMO and if he wants to leave for first team football then fair play to him.  He's a limited defender who gives his all.  I'd happily keep him as backup but would be equally happy to sell him on.

(How solid is this link, btw?)

We don't know how much football Samba can play and Elphick has been linked all over the place.  Baker is not a necessity but he would be first choice sub.  His sale makes an injury to either Chester or Terry a very nervy experience now, where it wasn't before.

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Sell for £1.3m, spend £5m replacing him with an inferior player no doubt.

Given the money spent so far on 5 different players (£2.5m), I'm pretty confident you'll be wrong here.

Mistake for me too. If it means Richards appears at all next season it will cost us points. 

I also think Terry is going to struggle to play 4O odd games at the rate they come so if expected Baker to have a big role still to play 

1 minute ago, BOF said:

We don't know how much football Samba can play and Elphick has been linked all over the place.  Baker is not a necessity but he would be first choice sub.  His sale makes an injury to either Chester or Terry a very nervy experience now, where it wasn't before.

Samba would be the first choice sub.  Chester and Terry as starting CBs.

Any defence with Baker in it will be mid championship at best. Poor positioning results in too many last minute rash tackles and his distribution is woeful. Blackburn away last season summed him up.

Always gave 100% but just not good enough.

• Like 2

I like Baker as he never gives less than his all and I struggle to fault any player that does that.

I’d like to think in terms of centre back though that Bruce along with Calderwood will know what they are doing. Terry and Chester are likely to be first choice and if Baker goes Samba and Jedinak as back up and then I’d imagine one of the younger lads if we do get down to fifth choice. I think we are well covered in that area.

• Like 1

One of the last people I want to see for a number of reasons. To leave on a small fee just makes it worse. Even more bizarrely, Bruce clearly rates him well enough to play him regulay and not replace him in January. 

A real shame to see another academy graduate good enough to play for the club leave. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Samba would be the first choice sub.  Chester and Terry as starting CBs.

Are you really OK going into a 46 game season with Terry and Samba as 2 of the 3 centre backs (one of which will always play), from a fitness/injury point of view?

• Like 1

Just now, skarroki said:

One of the last people I want to see leave for a number of reasons. To depart for such a relatively small fee just makes it worse. Even more bizarrely, Bruce clearly rates him well enough to play him regulay and not replace him in January. 

A real shame to see another academy graduate good enough to play for the club leave. 

1 minute ago, sne said:

Could this make way for the much awaited arrival of Alex Bruce?

He's made it very clear on Twitter that he doesn't think it'll happen so I expect him outside BMH holding the shirt by Monday. 

Â