Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I think this is a deal which makes sense for all parties, although I would have liked us to get a little more money for him. I seem to recall that Clark went for more last summer, and I think Baker is the better player.

The reality is that Nathan Baker is a good centre-half at this level, but he isn't an automatic starter for us and at his age it's totally understandable that he would want to be. In the long run we were always going to move him on eventually. From a buyer's perspective, Bristol City are getting an experienced player that they know plenty about for a reasonable price. 

Edited by rjenkins

Pissed off that he's been sold. Chester is going to have to play every game now as I can't see a centre back pairing that works without him being one of them. Terry and Samba will be hard pushed to stay injury free throughout the season and Elphick or Richards shouldn't be relied upon...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I don't think it's as simple as that, the resources spent on Terry could have been better spent on positions we were weak in.

Yes we get £4m for Baker, but that's roughly what we are paying Terry just for this one season. 

If you had a choice of Baker for another 7-10 years or Terry for just 1 year... considering our defence was absolutely fine last season - I'd choose Baker.

Yes it is what it is, but needn't have been, especially if we struggle to score goals again and fail to get promoted.

Terry was available, I'm sure if the midfield or forward versions of terry became available we would be after them too.

Its not as if it's a case of terry rather than someone else!

I'm a bit gutted he has gone.  He was always the bloke that would put his body on the line and over the years he has improved as a player.  Possibly he has not improved as much as the club wanted, but he seemed more than capable at this level last season.  I won't miss the number of times he needed to be an early substitute, for a big strong lad he sure does get hurt easy.  All in though I have enjoyed his time at the club, he has never let us down on or off the pitch and I'll wish him well wherever his career takes him.  Good luck Nathan.

• Like 4

Bit gutted to be honest.

there are other centre halves at the club who should be jettisoned before baker (easier said than done, I know)

baker was a great 3rd choice defender and could have got better training alongside terry.

Why can't we rid ourselves of the shite that is Micah Richards?

• Like 2

Shocked that this has happened, and the speed that it has happened. I like Baker, never going to set the world on fire, and not good enough at PL level, but would have liked for him to win the Championship with us (hopefully), but disappointing to see him leaving and I do wish him all the best. Will receive a warm welcome when he visits VP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Bit gutted to be honest.

there are other centre halves at the club who should be jettisoned before baker (easier said than done, I know)

baker was a great 3rd choice defender and could have got better training alongside terry.

Why can't we rid ourselves of the shite that is Micah Richards?

You really have to ask that?

Phone conversation to the director of football at another club.....

"Hi xyz, It's Keith Wyness over at Villa"

"Hey Keith, great to hear from you, how's the family?"

"Good thanks"

"excellent, we must meet up for a beer soon and catch up"

"That'd be great, listen I want to talk to you about a player we have, could be right up your street"

"Sounds great, we need someone. Tell me more"

"Yes, so its Mic......."

<CLICK>

"Hello"

"Hello"

"Shit!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

You really have to ask that?

Phone conversation to the director of football at another club.....

"Hi xyz, It's Keith Wyness over at Villa"

"Hey Keith, great to hear from you, how's the family?"

"Good thanks"

"excellent, we must meet up for a beer soon and catch up"

"That'd be great, listen I want to talk to you about a player we have, could be right up your street"

"Sounds great, we need someone. Tell me more"

"Yes, so its Mic......."

<CLICK>

"Hello"

"Hello"

"Shit!"

It was more of a rhetorical question. 

Clearly no one would willingly part with money for him. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Cant understand this given Terry and Samba's recent playing records.

Totally agree and think it's a little short sighted - Samba especially is likely to be in his last ever season and if we go up, it could be argued that neither player (Terry or Samba) would be able to play in the premier league.

(saying that, maybe the club don't think baker could either?)

as for this season, baker would be more than handy as back up and would undoubtedly get game time.

a fear is, our financial situation is far worse than we're led to believe and any transfer bids are good bids.... 

• Like 1

We have so many players who don't give a monkeys and are just getting paid and have never given anything like the type of service Baker has already given at his age.

Not very happy he's been sold at all, it's one I think we will live to regret.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

If you had a choice of Baker for another 7-10 years or Terry for just 1 year... considering our defence was absolutely fine last season - I'd choose Baker.

I'm coming at this from the angle of being dissapointed about the sale of Baker, but if I had to pick in this scenario, I'd take Terry. 

Terry will play a major part in getting us up this year, both on and off the field IMO. Baker wouldn't have had the same impact and although I agree with how you are looking a the long term, there is only one goal right now. 

I do wish we'd managed to shift some of the shit below him out first though.

Edited by wazzap24

3 hours ago, Junxs said:

I don't think it's as simple as that, the resources spent on Terry could have been better spent on positions we were weak in.

Yes we get £4m for Baker, but that's roughly what we are paying Terry just for this one season. 

Yes it is what it is, but needn't have been, especially if we struggle to score goals again and fail to get promoted.

Negates the fact one season with Terry could mean promotion.

We get promoted and we will all be praising the 'short term thinking'. 

• Like 3

Suprised there so much negativity about this. The kid tries hard, but he simply isn't very good imo. 

In the PL he was embarrassing. Last season he looked good in spells, but that was more down to the drop in standard rather than improvement on Bakers part. He wears his heart on his sleeve, he will put his head anywhere (which invariably results in concussion every couple of games), and for that reason i wish him well. 

But there is a reason he has just signed for Bristol City. 

This transfer for me shows the club knows what its doing......There are enough top class centre halves at Villa to know what one looks like.

Nathan has been a true professional to us,......but if we want to move on, deals like this must be done to get back.

Its possible in 2-3 years time none of these players will be with us, lets not get sentimental, its business.

• Like 3

Â