The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

You don’t buy a Ferrari and then drive it around at 30mph because you are concerned about fuel consumption. What the actual f*** does big nose want Jack defending for when he already has like a gazillion defenders on the pitch. Get him forward, give him the ball, sit back and enjoy as he goes to town. Simples

Modern football has evolved tho.

Look at Man City and Liverpool. The likes of KDB and Mane. They all can and are expected to do both jobs well.

All I'm saying is it's an area he can improve on, and i'm sure he would agree.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Thought his take down from Pickfords long pass then ran with ball, pass to Kane on the left was much better

Both disgustingly filthy moments the pickford one he told sterling to move out the way I think

3 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Thought his take down from Pickfords long pass then ran with ball, pass to Kane on the left was much better

So did I but its a fine line , I'm glad the European press are watching him because ours seem to not see what he can offer. Mason Mount my arse .

8 minutes ago, tinker said:

See Jack won skill of the day from uefa 

I mean it is a top quality skill, but we see him do that kind of thing all the time. I think I’m now immune to some of his amazing skills, I look at them and just think “ah that’s just Jack, it’s what he does”.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Modern football has evolved tho.

Look at Man City and Liverpool. The likes of KDB and Mane. They all can and are expected to do both jobs well.

All I'm saying is it's an area he can improve on, and i'm sure he would agree.

I disagree tbh. I don't think it's his tracking back is the issue, I think it's him wanting to bust a gut to join up with the play. He seems to amble around when he should be making runs into the box at times. 

That's just for England. For Villa, he's just perfect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I won't link as it doesn't deserve the traffic but some idiot at The Athletic days Grealish should be dropped v Germany as he doesn't work hard enough and defend.

I give up with these idiots. Not only does Jack work really hard and statistically this is proven but how many defensive players do we want to cram into the side.

What happened to actually playing football. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I disagree tbh. I don't think it's his tracking back is the issue, I think it's him wanting to bust a gut to join up with the play. He seems to amble around when he should be making runs into the box at times. 

That's just for England. For Villa, he's just perfect. 

Yeah but different coaches have different demands.

You have to meet them if you want to stay in the team.

If Southgate highly values pressing and tracking back Jack needs to work on it.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Hopefully Southgate gets the sack after England crashes out of the tournament next round and goes off to obscurity again.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He literally has better defensive stats than any of the other attacking players in the squad except Mount (who should play in the pivot), Saka and Foden who should be left St George's Park so his hair can't be an eye sore. 

34 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

I’ve been looking for a clip of this on social media, any sightings? 

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Said before Southgate does value pressing but doesn't coach them or instruct them to press as a team 

You can't moan at grealish in the middle of the park not pressing a guy on the ball who has 5 easy out balls on

That's **** stupid, reserve your energy 

We call it doing doggies where I'm from, aimlessly and stupidly chasing around the ball like a dog while everyone else stands and watches 

Grealish can't press unless kane, sterling, saka, phillips and rice all do the same 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I disagree with this, thought Saka was exceptional, and his intelligence off the ball was really noticeable. When you have a poor manager like Southgate, you need players who can read what's happening and make their own decisions. Saka has that defensive awareness, but also knows when to stay high or drop deep to collect. Our goal came from him getting that right. Phillips is another one who I think knows what to do, probably because the Leeds system is so flexible.

A few of our other players look a bit lost. Tbh I'd say Jack is one of them. Off the ball he doesn't seem to know who to press or when to press. Partly injury, partly being played in a different position from the one he's used to.

Problem Jack has is Sterling has scored 2 goals so is undroppable until he has a stinker (and even then, won't be dropped).

So his best bet of starting is probably Southgate playing same team again as one that started against Czechia. Which wouldn't be a bad lineup tbh. I don't see why we should be switching to wing backs as GNev has suggested.

EDIT: Also, I agree Jack just needs a lot more of the ball. There's no point in playing a 10 unless he is your main playmaker. Arguably this is why in modern football, 10s have drifted out wide, because then you keep your defensive shape better. But in international football maybe you can still get away with having an old fashioned 10. Let's use him properly.

Must have watched a different game to me to describe him as exceptional. Not one player has been exceptional at this tournament so far. He’s better defensively than any other of the wide players as he’s played left back on a number of occasions  this season, he actually made his England debut of a left back.  Like I said I thought he was good but his final ball and decision making was poor,. There was one time he went through and only had Sterling in the middle against 3 defenders but he still tried an impossible cross and basically wasted possession. I agree he was good defensively and contributed going forward but his end product was poor.

Edited by WHY

33 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I won't link as it doesn't deserve the traffic but some idiot at The Athletic days Grealish should be dropped v Germany as he doesn't work hard enough and defend.

I give up with these idiots. Not only does Jack work really hard and statistically this is proven but how many defensive players do we want to cram into the side.

What happened to actually playing football. 

True, Jack is a vital defender for us when we are in a tight pickle at the back as he collects the ball and rather than booting it and inviting another attack he runs with it, either starting a counter or picking up a free kick.  It's not just about putting a boot in or chasing the ball.  Jack will get dropped anyway as Southgate has chosen to play anti-football, I've resigned myself to the fact and refuse to get too het up about it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I wish we had a forward thinking manager  that would appreciate what Grealish can do not what he cant.  

This,  play on the front foot and give your footballers the ball, football is complicated by idiots. I’m fine with pressing football if you keep possession when you get it back, like City do. Unfortunately because Southgate doesn’t play the players who are comfortable in possession, the press is pretty much pointless imo.

27 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I wish we had a forward thinking manager  that would appreciate what Grealish can do not what he cant.  

I hear you and i am probably playing a bit of a devil's advocate here but..

This isn't like club football where you'll have another game next week if you lose. If you lose you're out, that's it.

Certain qualities are required for different games. Mount is a managers dream just of what he brings off the ball.

I think Jack is looked on as a bit of a luxury player and i don't get the feeling he will start in the knockout games.

That being said Jack would be in my team but i can see where Gareth is coming from.

Edited by villalad21

Â