The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I really enjoy most pieces on the Athletic… except for his stuff on Villa. It’s OK to not have the inside scoop, that’s not what the Athletic is about for me. It’s about narratives. Searching out the meaning to the sport. To better understand the game and why it’s so engrossing, and beautiful, and painful.

I don’t really understand Evans as a writer. The narrative of Jack staying at Villa is far more compelling. He’s intertwined with the clubs fortunes. From Lerner relegation to near bankruptcy with Xia and carrying us back to promotion. Now with serious owners with a serious plan. Even the small possibility of him dragging us to the champion league or a title is enough. Especially if you’re a club specific writer. There’s an originality and a multitude of possibilities that could unfold and be told within that story…….Or you could write about Jack getting a transfer to the English title contenders every week, because that hasn’t been done before.

i agree with this, so when evans speculates, it goes against what the athletic is about, and what convinced me to subscribe.

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We must be one of the only fanbases that have to put up with a journalist at the Athletic that doesn’t know anything. It seems other Athletic journalists are ITK and the fans of these clubs look to them for genuine news.

I much prefer Preece to Evans. Preece doesn’t know anything either but he comes across as a genuine Villa fan who I think would be better at the Athletic or in a position where he is fed information than Evans. 

I can’t even stand listening to that Evans speak. When is the last time he actually got anything right and broke it first? I break transfer news quicker than he does and I’m not trying to charge people a subscription..

You might want to rethink your business model.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We must be one of the only fanbases that have to put up with a journalist at the Athletic that doesn’t know anything. It seems other Athletic journalists are ITK and the fans of these clubs look to them for genuine news.

I much prefer Preece to Evans. Preece doesn’t know anything either but he comes across as a genuine Villa fan who I think would be better at the Athletic or in a position where he is fed information than Evans. 

I can’t even stand listening to that Evans speak. When is the last time he actually got anything right and broke it first? I break transfer news quicker than he does and I’m not trying to charge people a subscription..

It’s noteworthy that in Evans’s bio he says Midlands football too, not just Villa. Is he even a fan? 

Just now, The_Steve said:

It’s noteworthy that in Evans’s bio he says Midlands football too, not just Villa. Is he even a fan? 

No he’s not a Villa fan. And it’s painfully obvious when you listen to his podcast with Dan Bardell. I think he’s an Albion fan but I might be wrong. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

he's a baggies fan, he's never claimed to be villa...but that doesn't bother me. just stop speculating and stick to facts ffs

12 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I really enjoy most pieces on the Athletic… except for his stuff on Villa. It’s OK to not have the inside scoop, that’s not what the Athletic is about for me. It’s about narratives. Searching out the meaning to the sport. To better understand the game and why it’s so engrossing, and beautiful, and painful.

I don’t really understand Evans as a writer. The narrative of Jack staying at Villa is far more compelling. He’s intertwined with the clubs fortunes. From Lerner relegation to near bankruptcy with Xia and carrying us back to promotion. Now with serious owners with a serious plan. Even the small possibility of him dragging us to the champion league or a title is enough. Especially if you’re a club specific writer. There’s an originality and a multitude of possibilities that could unfold and be told within that story…….Or you could write about Jack getting a transfer to the English title contenders every week, because that hasn’t been done before.

This nails it for me. I had a free subscription the Athletic for just under a year, and the quality of football analysis and general standard of writing and insight is pretty high. It’s such a shame that us Villa fans ended up with Evans as their writer. 

I don't give a toss who any journalist supports.

Certainly don't have to be a fan to write about a club.

Would help if you didn't constantly speculate about players leaving and purposely take an opposing view to fans to gain an identity though.

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't give a toss who any journalist supports.

Certainly don't have to be a fan to write about a club.

Would help if you didn't constantly speculate about players leaving and purposely take an opposing view to fans to gain an identity though.

I agree. Evans is just not very good. He knows the speculation drives clicks. 

He’d rather concern and split the fan base for clicks with spurious claims that we are now unsure if Jack leaves. That framing is baseless. The club will have transfer targets especially given his injury record and over reliance on him. Hardly rocket science. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

the only thing i can think of is that his time at the brum mail has blacklisted him from the AVFC list of journos they feed info to. we've always kept cards close to our chests and when some news is ready to be broken we just give the likes of percy the exclusive

said it before i actually don't dislike the guy, some of the former player interviews and articles he's done have been good. i'd be happy to just read those...but his constant speculation of jack leaving is doing my head in when no reputable journos are saying anything of the sort

I actually think Preece gets news from the club. Percy is above being a mouthpiece but Preece works at a lower brow organisation and would probably be happy to say what the club want for any news at all.

I don't think the news is all that accurate. But because last year he upset was it cutler ever since then he has been doing his utmost to stay on the clubs good side. And what he says tends to be what I think the club wants to be put out there. Jack is staying, oh we have no money, oh actually our transfer approach was rushed and slapdash in the hopes of overtaking spurs etc.

The club probably don't want teams knowing they know exactly who to go for and what price is their ceiling. I imagine it makes clubs go actually I want a little bit bigger piece of the pie.

Evans instead doesn't even get to be a mouthpiece.

peter griffin family GIF 

You know what grinds me gears, the media and punditry obsession with how much Grealish gets fouled. Like it’s the only thing he has to offer. It’s such a one dimensional take on one of England’s most naturally talented players 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

peter griffin family GIF 

You know what grinds me gears, the media and punditry obsession with how much Grealish gets fouled. Like it’s the only thing he has to offer. It’s such a one dimensional take on one of England’s most naturally talented players 

There was a good YouTube analysis of him posted here a few weeks back as to why he gets fouled that was really insightful 

Basically came down to his style of drawing players in, playing within 1m of his opponent and then his feet being so quick that the defender can't help but foul him

He is happy and capable to play in a smaller tighter space than anyone else that's why he is fouled 

ITV / BBC / Sky assemble this huge team of ex players, pay them millions, do high production shows in studios pulling up stats and talking about it, spend hours on it... But never actually tell you anything, this kid in 5 minutes tells you everything about him 

Â