The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, VillaAlex said:

I won't link as it doesn't deserve the traffic but some idiot at The Athletic days Grealish should be dropped v Germany as he doesn't work hard enough and defend.

I give up with these idiots. Not only does Jack work really hard and statistically this is proven but how many defensive players do we want to cram into the side.

What happened to actually playing football. 

Yeah I seen it. Smacks of an Aunt Sally, and with the amount of negative traction it is getting it may be a successful one. The stats and my eyes don't back what the guy is saying too. He conveniently does not mention any stats to back his statements. When he wrote:

In the first half against the Czech Republic, Southgate played Grealish in his Aston Villa position, on the left of the front three.... as the game went on the Czech Republic found it easier to bring the ball forward through right-back Vladimir Coufal, and England looked like they needed to tighten up. In the second half, Sterling was moved back into his role on the left, where he played against Croatia and Scotland. Grealish went inside as the No 10. And with Sterling far more willing to do the defensive work of getting up and down the left-hand side, just as Bukayo Saka was doing on the right, England looked more secure.

I knew it was a hatchet job.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Yeah I seen it. Smacks of an Aunt Sally, and with the amount of negative traction it is getting it may be a successful one. The stats and my eyes don't back what the guy is saying too. He conveniently does not mention any stats to back his statements. When he wrote:

I knew it was a hatchet job.

What game was he watching?

jack drifted to the left occasionally but was blatantly a central midfielder 

let alone the nonsense about coufal bringing the ball forward

edit - i see below in the responses someone pulled out the stat that grealish has 16 defensive pressures compared to sterling’s 7

journo talking absolute bollocks 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Where does the Athletic find these clickbait chasing fools from? No serious football writer would make this argument 

You're exactly right mate, someone with an agenda obviously, absolutely ridiculous reporting. 

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This isn't like club football where you'll have another game next week if you lose. If you lose you're out, that's it.

Exactly. So pick the team that is most likely to win.  In our opinion that includes Jack. In Southgate’s that (probably) doesn’t.  

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Certain qualities are required for different games. Mount is a managers dream just of what he brings off the ball.

No one is doubting the qualities that Mount brings.  The question is do you need to be THAT defensive with your midfield three of Philips, Rice, and Mount?

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think Jack is looked on as a bit of a luxury player and i don't get the feeling he will start in the knockout games.

Everyone knows how he is looked upon by Southgate, the point is it’s a misconception.

None of what you said there is wrong, but you say that you think Southgate is justified in his thoughts - which is the debate here.

He’s too too defensive.  We’ll lose 1-0 and go out.  And everyone will say ‘oh it was Germany. To be expected.’

And you’re saying no, he’s right.  We will see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

What game was he watching?

jack drifted to the left occasionally but was blatantly a central midfielder 

let alone the nonsense about coufal bringing the ball forward

Exactly. The defence stats from that game are also twice of Sterlings' and comparable to Sakas', even with less minutes.

Jack (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) is the most productive offensively (control, retaining the ball, drawing defenders, carrying the ball, chance creation, intricate link-up) & is pulling similar defensive numbers to the other forwards.

He simply has to start. If he does not, England will regret it. 

Interestingly, I do not understand the clamour to bring back Mount with no tactical training. Is he such an important player?

He presses well, in an England team that does not really press. But his attack outputs are average. There was an interesting comment from a Chelsea fan: 

As a Chelsea fan, sadly I completely agree with you. Mount might be the most overrated player in the Premier League. He was Chelsea's least productive attacking player Mount's 0.34 G+A/90 was the lowest of all the Chelsea attacking players and about half of Grealish's 0.67 G+A/90, while playing for a better side.

The craziest thing is that everyone loves to talk about Mount's workrate, but Mount had the lowest workrate of all the Chelsea's midfielders covering 9700 meters per 90, less than Kai, Ziyech and Jorginho (all three Chelsea fans commonly lament as lazy)

So strange that The Athletic writers continue to reason Mount's inclusion on the side without stats, but with superlatives like he's integral to the team.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Towards the end of the Scotland game they had a chance our on their right, I think it was Adams. Who was back covering? Jack. 

Jack not doing defensive work is a false narrative promoted by Southgate and the equally stupid muppets in the press. It’s also ridiculous,  he is extremely talented and as such a major asset in forward positions. You don’t fit a tow bar to a Ferrari. The aim is to get the best out of your best asset. It’s not a competition to find out who can run around the most. I’m not saying he is above hard work, but more understanding of the game is required when you assess his contribution. 

I think Italy are the favourites now. They’re traditionally very defensive but this tournament Mancini has got them playing a much more attacking style. They still defend very well and work hard. Would Jack get into the Italian team? Of course he would. 

Exactly. It is like a race to the bottom, sacrificing attacking quality for 'endeavour' . Take a Leeds/Burnley hybrid if you want a team full of runners. Worst of all Jack works hard, FFS. 

This decision not the build the England team around Grealish is causing me so much internal anguish. I feel sorry for my work colleagues who I am unloading to daily. 😅 Better out than in I say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I hear you and i am probably playing a bit of a devil's advocate here but..

This isn't like club football where you'll have another game next week if you lose. If you lose you're out, that's it.

Certain qualities are required for different games. Mount is a managers dream just of what he brings off the ball.

I think Jack is looked on as a bit of a luxury player and i don't get the feeling he will start in the knockout games.

That being said Jack would be in my team but i can see where Gareth is coming from.

Its hard to say whats needed against Germany. They are vunerable in defence so do we attack them more or do we need to play with caution and try not to concede. The later seems the Southgate way. 

14 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

The fact that nobody talked about that touch is criminal.

Its the pass too, split second looks up see kanes run understands what he's doing sends him on his way

Its two touches, perfect control perfect pass, made it look so easy 

• Like 2

His passes are always perfectly weighted. Doesn't matter if he's running at full speed, or if he's off balance, or if he just bodied Hector Bellerin, the pass will be on a plate. It's been like that since he made his debut, and even when he was floundering a bit earlier in his career. It's a very rare skill, or rather it's very rare for a player to be that on point so consistently.

6 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

The fluidity to bring that down on the turn. Can you imagine any other player apart from Foden maybe doing that?

He turned a hopeful punt from the keeper in one seemingly casual move into a direct attack.

That in itself is a better defensive contribution than if he were to try and lay that ball off backwards like most others probably would have, yet obviously wouldn't count towards any defensive stats.

4 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

He turned a hopeful punt from the keeper in one seemingly casual move into a direct attack.

That in itself is a better defensive contribution than if he were to try and lay that ball off backwards like most others probably would have, yet obviously wouldn't count towards any defensive stats.

Unfair on pickford, he's put that on a sixpence 

I'll add Jack picked up a great position too, shame you can't see the movement to get so free but he's in acres in the middle of the pitch 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â