The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

But Jack W is setting Gary straight

I’m a big fan of Saka and he had an impact the other night but wasn’t as great as media, pundits and fans are making out. Yes he played without fear and ran at the Czech defence but he often wasted the final ball, he also lost it quite a few times. The goal came from brilliant work from him but his final ball into the box was poor, Grealish did very well to keep it alive with his header back to Kane, this wasn’t mentioned but was very intelligent play. I’m not suggesting Grealish deserves to start over him but if I had to pick him or Saka I would pick Grealish due to his ability and footballing brain.

I think the problem is with villa the whole system revolves around giving the ball to Jack. It’s the first pass any player looks for.

For England you have a lot of top players so they will never be looking for Jack at every instance. This kind of makes him less effective.

I personally would set up the whole team around him so he dictates the game but then I’m biased.  

Having him just as a another cog in the wheel is such a waste of his talent.

• Like 1

Gary Neville is big mates with Southgate and will be a mouthpiece for big nose at every given opportunity. I take his thoughts on these matters with an enormous pinch of salt. That said, we will almost certainly be disappointed when the team’s announced on Tuesday.

In a way, I hope that Jack doesn’t play. Big nose sets up in a way that will never get the best out of Jack. It almost seems as though he wants Jack to fulfill a role that he is totally unsuitable for. Big nose’s England are awful to watch. Hopefully we won’t be subjected to it for much longer!

• Like 2

been saying it all along that he would start vs czech when we've already qualified and that for the most part be all we see of him

it will come back to bite southgate though...i don't see him keeping the job unless we do something special

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the problem is with villa the whole system revolves around giving the ball to Jack. It’s the first pass any player looks for.

For England you have a lot of top players so they will never be looking for Jack at every instance. This kind of makes him less effective.

I personally would set up the whole team around him so he dictates the game but then I’m biased.  

Having him just as a another cog in the wheel is such a waste of his talent.

Soooo....Villa don't actually have a problem, just England?! 

21 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Soooo....Villa don't actually have a problem, just England?! 

Ha, we definitely have a problem in that we rely on him way to much. England’s problem is they arent using him enough! 

I think for a tournament just make him the main man. It’s not like what they are currently doing is working great. 

1 hour ago, WHY said:

I’m a big fan of Saka and he had an impact the other night but wasn’t as great as media, pundits and fans are making out. Yes he played without fear and ran at the Czech defence but he often wasted the final ball, he also lost it quite a few times. The goal came from brilliant work from him but his final ball into the box was poor, Grealish did very well to keep it alive with his header back to Kane, this wasn’t mentioned but was very intelligent play. I’m not suggesting Grealish deserves to start over him but if I had to pick him or Saka I would pick Grealish due to his ability and footballing brain.

I disagree with this, thought Saka was exceptional, and his intelligence off the ball was really noticeable. When you have a poor manager like Southgate, you need players who can read what's happening and make their own decisions. Saka has that defensive awareness, but also knows when to stay high or drop deep to collect. Our goal came from him getting that right. Phillips is another one who I think knows what to do, probably because the Leeds system is so flexible.

A few of our other players look a bit lost. Tbh I'd say Jack is one of them. Off the ball he doesn't seem to know who to press or when to press. Partly injury, partly being played in a different position from the one he's used to.

Problem Jack has is Sterling has scored 2 goals so is undroppable until he has a stinker (and even then, won't be dropped).

So his best bet of starting is probably Southgate playing same team again as one that started against Czechia. Which wouldn't be a bad lineup tbh. I don't see why we should be switching to wing backs as GNev has suggested.

EDIT: Also, I agree Jack just needs a lot more of the ball. There's no point in playing a 10 unless he is your main playmaker. Arguably this is why in modern football, 10s have drifted out wide, because then you keep your defensive shape better. But in international football maybe you can still get away with having an old fashioned 10. Let's use him properly.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

I feel Jack doesn’t consider himself an established part of the squad so is holding back during games.

He always offers himself up for the ball and looks to play in either Sterling and Kane ahead of anyone else or taking a shot on himself. 

The problem appears to be he isn’t getting the ball back. If he were playing for Villa he’d be more vocal and asserting himself on the team if this were happening. this is why I think he lacks a little confidence in his role within the squad. 

A couple of times against Czechia he could’ve made a late run into the box or hover at the edge but he dropped back quite deeply. This could be tactics though.

For me, he needs to take the bull by the horns and go for it. If a team mate doesn’t pass back - give him some shit about it. 

Saying that, he has offered more than either Foden or Mount but we know he can perform even better

• Like 1

I'd rather he didn't start tbh, Southgate has completely killed watching the national team for me

We all know Jacks more than good enough to play at the highest level, i'm more concerned about him coming back to us fully fit for next season

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

But Jack W is setting Gary straight

What a shit team. Who's meant to attack from midfield? Just going to leave the middle of the field empty?

Edited by Mr_Dogg

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Neville seems to want to protect Southgate. Weird.

I reckon he must fancy the England job some time in the future and is continually brown-nosing Gareth and the FA.  He certainly wouldn't take these performances from Utd in the same way because he knows he has zero chance of being their manager.

• Like 1

Â