2. 2. Manager's Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/04/23 at 22:59

That was like nothing I've ever seen down the villa. 3-0 against a good team, hit the woodwork twice, one ruled out. The saved Martinez needed to make were relatively comfortable. We absolutely bossed it. 

Hard to choose MotM today but two goals and an assist gets you that vote. But every player was absolutely magnificent. From the first minute Watkins had the better of them and seemed able to get behind their defence at will. I don't know what tricks were conjured up by Emery, I can't even pretend to understand what the man does as his level is way beyond my understanding - the man is a magician. 

I gave the ref poor. No idea what Newcastle fans are on about, but they should have had more yellows, the bloke marking mcginn had his shirt every time for the first hour. They seemed able to take free kicks and throw ins from anywhere on the pitch and they had the ball in a dangerous position in our box once from a rolling ball and once from a blatant foul throw. Terrible refereeing really but fortunately he never had any real big calls to make. 

I genuinely can't remember seeing the villa this good. The 7-2 is the only recent example but that was more of a mad fluke in strange times - this was just an absolute footballing masterclass.

Moreno makes me very excited to see who we sign in the summer. What an absolute steal. 

• Like 4

Last time I saw us beat Newcastle 3-0 was on the same day the Pope died in 2005.

Their keeper today was Pope.

Random fact and no idea what made me remember it but there we go.

(The game of the Bowyer/Dyer fight.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wow, just wow.

Superb team performance to a man, Watkins, Moreno, Luiz, Ramsey and Martinez in particular were outstanding, all others were very good too.

We tore them to shreds, looked dangerous every time we went forward and some of the passing and linkup play today was a joy to behold.

That’s the kind of performance and result that will make the rest of the league sit up and take notice. 

• Like 2

I have to say that I am surprised that Luiz got so few votes for MOTM - he was at the heart of our play today and was bordering on Pirloesque.  One sloopy pass aside I thought he was immense today and made us click going forwards and kept us organised when we were defending.  It's hard to argue against Watkins (who deserved at least a hat-trick) but Luiz started most of our attacking play and Watkins finished it.  That was probably the best team performance from us for getting on 25 years.  Even better than the Liverpool game because we dominated Newcastle in every single part of the pitch.  3 points off 5th.  Brighton and us will finish above Spurs - the question is whether Liverpool do too and whether Brighton's form comes unstuck with the sheer number of matches they still need to play this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

I’ll say again, not sure I can remember a better all round and dominant performance since we returned to the Premier League?

The 7-2 against Liverpool was an amazing performance and result but we did concede two goals that evening. The performance today was very special indeed. Totally, totally dominant. Newcastle seemed totally shell shocked and a team that had only lost three games this season. 

I can honestly watch the game over and over again. Amazing day.

3-0 v Le Arse was pretty good!

Â