2. 2. Manager's Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/04/23 at 22:59

Ollie has been a run away MOTM and I think deservedly so. I voted for Ollie but thought long and hard about him or Moreno for my vote. 

But the VT vote is a funny thing because genuinely every single player could have been MOTM today. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a Villa game where that’s been the case. And I’ve seen a few! 

3:0 against Newcastle seemed easier than 3:0 against Bournemouth. 
Strange.

No need to write more.

edit
Who was our worst player today? I might argue Young and perhaps Mings. And I would rate them at least 7/10 and Mings 7+/10.

Edited by fruitvilla

Brilliant day at VP yesterday. Watkins unplayable and bouncing round the pitch so confident. Moreno is absolutely class, what a great signing! McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey all on top form with Dendoncker putting in the unseen dirty work to help them tick. Mings and Konsa are playing their best football for us. Ashley Young completing his 4th game in 2 weeks with no drop in his levels. Martinez made the necessary saves with little fuss and his distribution (particularly to the full backs) has come on leaps and bounds since Emery came in. Also loved Duran coming on and crunching someone for a late booking. No idea how Burn didn’t get about 5 yellow cards, ref let them get away with loads. They looked rattled from the Watkins chance on 28 seconds and we were relentless in battering them.

Unai gets a 10/10. Great atmosphere too!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KentVillan said:

xG isn’t poppycock, it’s just really overused and misunderstood by people who think it’s some kind of “truth”.

What xG shows you is how many shots each team got off in dangerous areas. It doesn’t tell you who was in goal, whether it was a goalscorer or a centre back who took the shot, what the match situation was when it happened, etc.

It’s a useful way of understanding the battle, that’s all. People think it shows who the “real” winner was… that’s the bit that’s poppycock.

Bang on.  Can't remember who it was on here that basically said xG shows who "should" win a game - but it doesn't.  Chelsea's xG against us would've been far higher than ours, but so many of their shots were 0.1 chances or something.  Take 20 of them and, boom xG 2.  However, that game shows a side that couldn't break down another one, and one which was happy to work good chances.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, villaglint said:

Ollie has been a run away MOTM and I think deservedly so. I voted for Ollie but thought long and hard about him or Moreno for my vote. 

But the VT vote is a funny thing because genuinely every single player could have been MOTM today. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a Villa game where that’s been the case. And I’ve seen a few! 

You could just have "the team" to be honest.  Watkins, Moreno, Buendia, McGinn, Ramsey, Luiz - all superb.

19 hours ago, Chindie said:

need to see Shearer's face looking like a Great Dane chewing a lemon soaked wasp tonight.

I need it.

He was actually, very complimentary towards us in his after match comments....He said it like it was.

36 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Bang on.  Can't remember who it was on here that basically said xG shows who "should" win a game - but it doesn't.  Chelsea's xG against us would've been far higher than ours, but so many of their shots were 0.1 chances or something.  Take 20 of them and, boom xG 2.  However, that game shows a side that couldn't break down another one, and one which was happy to work good chances.

Not to get too nerdy, but you could easily put another useful, but imperfect stat together using xG. If you took the xG for the game as a whole and divided it by the number of shots taken (you could do some jiggery pokery to remove outliers as well) you could get a figure which gives you a rough measure of shot quality. Call it xGq. Again it doesn't tell the full story, but if displayed with xG it might improve transparency. I'd exclude Pens of course.

Of course every shot taken will have it's own xG, but it seems impractical for the casual fan to display each one on tv. 

Of course all these stats are not really meant for us. The club's analysts will have rafts of data that we are not privy to, and which will help.

28 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Not to get too nerdy, but you could easily put another useful, but imperfect stat together using xG. If you took the xG for the game as a whole and divided it by the number of shots taken (you could do some jiggery pokery to remove outliers as well) you could get a figure which gives you a rough measure of shot quality. Call it xGq. Again it doesn't tell the full story, but if displayed with xG it might improve transparency. I'd exclude Pens of course.

Of course every shot taken will have it's own xG, but it seems impractical for the casual fan to display each one on tv. 

Of course all these stats are not really meant for us. The club's analysts will have rafts of data that we are not privy to, and which will help.

The other thing xG doesn't show is chances that were ruled out for offside or didn't result in a shot.

For example, the millimetre offside for Watkins is completely excluded, even though that was basically a massive chance that was just a *slightly* mistimed run / pass away from being a goal.

It's clear if you watch the game back that although Newcastle had chances, we were the better side.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

3:0 against Newcastle seemed easier than 3:0 against Bournemouth. 
Strange.

No need to write more.

edit
Who was our worst player today? I might argue Young and perhaps Mings. And I would rate them at least 7/10 and Mings 7+/10.

Mings was my MOTM after Ollie.  I thought he was immense today.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, I got this completely wrong, I'm happy to say.

We bullied the bullies, and I didn't think we had it in us, so happy to be wrong.

McGinns handling of Burn was a delight, before Burn got withdrawn, and Joelinton, went the same way. Our approach to the physical side of things, shocked me....and the superb football just followed.

This was the most complete performance I have seen for years....a massive thanks to all the players and coaching staff.

On to dreaming, where it might take us.

I agree completely, especially with the highlighted part. I can’t remember the last time where we were so dominant in a game? By this I mean the whole game. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Without the likes of Kamara and Cash as well.

The man is creating a well oiled machine which doesn't stumble even when integral parts are missing.

It's almost as if they are even excelling further when faced with adversity.

This. Everyone was desperate for Kamara to get back for today.  We'd done well but it seemed imperative for him to be back for us even to have a chance. 

Yet it made hardly any difference. Dendonker comes in, the machine purrs and roars when Emery presses the accelerator like nothing is missing. 

I mean, we surely can't handle many more injuries because we're literally on last man for many positions, the spares are running out, but he really is a master mechanic. 

• Like 4

Â