2. 2. Manager's Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/04/23 at 22:59

On 15/04/2023 at 14:50, Delphinho123 said:

That was the most complete performance I’ve seen from a Villa side since we’ve been back in the PL, maybe since the decline set in under Lerner.

They were breathtaking. To a man. Moreno, Dendoncker, Luiz, Watkins, Mings, McGinn, my good mate Buendia, you name it, they were outstanding. 

All I’ve heard all week is, ‘Wilson is better than Watkins’, ‘watch out for the Newcastle press’, ‘they’re so physical’.

Watkins put in one of the most complete performances from a striker you’ll see all season. The press plays perfectly into our hands (nice one Howe) and we bullied them in every department winning every 50/50.

We look a complete team. Every body fights for everybody else, even when we’re playing poorly. Every player knows their role and we won’t change our style of play. Not for Brentford, not for Brighton, not for Arsenal. You come to VP and we’ll try to play through you and control the game. 

I’m absolutely astounded by that performance. We’re going places.

Breathtaking.

Meme: "You're breathtaking" - All Templates - Meme-arsenal.com

• Like 1

One thing that seemed to upset a few people at the time, was which end we attack first. Who decided this yesterday?

The Holte End seem to prefer we attack the Holte in the second half, hoping to suck the ball into the net in a grandstand finish.

Since the revolution, my recollection is we seem to have done rather well when we kick towards the Holte first. 

Does anyone have any stats.?

Does it really matter?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I voted McGinn MOTM because I hadn’t seen the game and wanted to see the results.

Now I’ve watched it and it’s very clearly Watkins, but lots of great performances across the team.

Probably one of the best team performances I’ve seen from a Villa side in my lifetime.

UTV

It's a good job that you can change your vote.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Unbelievable performance. Everyone played well to excellent. Totally bossed the game versus one of the form sides in the league and could have been more. McGinn is a beast and Watkins looks like scoring every game.

We have seen so many false dawns and missed chances at Villa but today it felt like a creeping realisation that this time we can achieve something truly special. A brilliant day.

I know I have said it before, but this increasingly reminds me of Villa in the late 70s and we all know what that culminated in.🍸

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

One thing that seemed to upset a few people at the time, was which end we attack first. Who decided this yesterday?

The Holte End seem to prefer we attack the Holte in the second half, hoping to suck the ball into the net in a grandstand finish.

Since the revolution, my recollection is we seem to have done rather well when we kick towards the Holte first. 

Does it really matter?

They won the toss which gave them the choice which goal to attack first and so they swapped it round because they know that we like to be attacking towards the Holte second half. You know they won if we kick off first half, that's the consolation prize 😀

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Last time they scored at Villa Park was Yoan Gouffran on September 14, 2013 apparently. 3500 days ago :D 

That is absolutely mad, especially when you consider that we were crap from 2014-2016 as well.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

Does it really matter?

I don't have the stats, but it's my recollection,  that Villa teams have chosen to kick towards the Holte End since the 60's at least. I suspect it may have had something to do with the away fans often being in the Witton End, before they were moved into the Scottish Stand. 

Rewatching the game and I have to say that's as close to how we played the year we won the league under Saunders as I've ever seen.

Our form isn't European challenging form, since Emery came in it's actually title chasing form. Unbelievable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sne said:

Last time they scored at Villa Park was Yoan Gouffran on September 14, 2013 apparently. 3500 days ago :D 

Assume that’s in the Prem as we drew 1-1 at VP in the Championship 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Mings was my MOTM after Ollie.  I thought he was immense today.

I can see that, he was not bad by any means. He did not have a lot to do but did his job and then some when required.  But I recall a few wayward passes in the second half. 

Last few games it seems to me that the opposition seems to avoid Mings.

I didn’t really fancy us yesterday but crikey what a performance. 

Clearly up for it from minute 1, and very difficult to pick an MoM but probably has to be Watkins based on 2 goals and an assist, not to mention another disallowed due marginal offside, hitting the post and forcing at least two good saves out of Pope. They couldn’t live with him, nor with Moreno who ran them ragged down the left especially the first 25 minutes ably assisted by Ramsey and Buendia. We really could and should have been 3 up by then.  

Can’t pick out anyone who didn’t have a very good game.

Emery is the dog’s nob - you know he will give a half time team talk and tweak tactics to deal with anything they might have come up with. 

Clever move to put Dendoncker in for extra muscle and height in the midfield, they are a big rough team. He played very well in an understated way.

Loved when he sent two players up to the half way line on Newcastle’s first corner.

I think 5th is now very achievable if we can keep this kind of form up.

Â