Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

The question is, does he need a first touch? If he plays it straight away he's never going to be in trouble.  

Olsen is shit but it seems to me that too many of our players cannot play one touch. It's always several touches and bang into trouble. 

No its Olsen making poor decisions. At that stage of the game just hit it long. About 10 mins before that he delayed a pass to one of our defenders in the right centre half position, and the defender basically had to put it out for a throw, which they were treating like corners with their long throw ins. I said then just get rid of it at this stage. We are picking up most knock downs in midfield. Its baffling honestly why you play that ball he did to Dendonker with a few mins left.

Olsen with his feet has the combination of bad decision making and bad execution. It's a car crash waiting to happen.

31 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

overlooking the calamity of it all

The shirt pull was outside the box , and ref gave a free kick  .. How did VAR then decide it was a pen ?  did they somehow play an advantage and then give the second foul ? 

Because we've realised that the rules say that a shirt pull that starts outside the box and continues into the box would be a penalty. It is in the rules, although I hadn't realised it was. So the red card and pen must purely have been for the shirt pull.

32 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Warning for what? An opposing player 5 yards away? He's a pro footballer ffs. And one that plays central midfield where space is at a premium. He should be fully aware of who is around him. 

Well he obviously wasn't aware I'm sure Martinez would have been shouting at him for the pass.

13 minutes ago, turvontour said:

No its Olsen making poor decisions. At that stage of the game just hit it long. About 10 mins before that he delayed a pass to one of our defenders in the right centre half position, and the defender basically had to put it out for a throw, which they were treating like corners with their long throw ins. I said then just get rid of it at this stage. We are picking up most knock downs in midfield. Its baffling honestly why you play that ball he did to Dendonker with a few mins left.

Olsen with his feet has the combination of bad decision making and bad execution. It's a car crash waiting to happen.

Not if Emery is insisting they play out from the back. Your presuming Emery isn't instructing the players to play a particular way.  Dendonker has 5 yards on the nearest defender and therefore plenty of time to be aware of who is around him and where to play the ball first time. It's just another example of lack of awareness, poor control and a failing to release the ball quickly enough. Olsen was also culpable to a point but not to the extent of Dendonker, who at this level should be able to manage a 10 yard ball left into cash or lay it back to Olsen. It's as bad as the defending from the corner for there winner.  

• Like 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

Not if Emery is insisting they play out from the back. Your presuming Emery isn't instructing the players to play a particular way.  Dendonker has 5 yards on the nearest defender and therefore plenty of time to be aware of who is around him and where to play the ball first time. It's just another example of lack of awareness, poor control and a failing to release the ball quickly enough. Olsen was also culpable to a point but not to the extent of Dendonker, who at this level should be able to manage a 10 yard ball left into cash or lay it back to Olsen. It's as bad as the defending from the corner for there winner.  

Also if he received the ball on the half turn he sees the potential danger quicker. The face he’s not on the half turn compounds the problem. 

15 minutes ago, birdman said:

Well he obviously wasn't aware I'm sure Martinez would have been shouting at him for the pass.

Then he should be dropped for being asleep on the job. We are talking about pro's, not kids on a Sunday. Why would Olsen shout him for a pass back if he felt he would be aware enough to receive the first pass? Surely he'd just not pass to him in the first instance if he was putting him under pressure? 

He's a decent enough player a decent option, but you've to question the logic spending 13m on a player and committing a long deal to someone you know, you **** KNOW, will be obscelete in 6 -12 months time.

That's just a complete and total lack of understanding at this club on how to recruit footballers.

• Thanks 1

Not a good feeling to have a defensive midfielder you know has a mistake like that in him. It will haunt him mentally for sure, making it even worse.

I think he's a decent player for us though, a dependable back up.

3 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

ive watch Luiz and Kamara receive that pass a hundred times. Its one of the things Emery is trying to encourage, its a very simple lay off, he could even go back to the keeper. The only thing not to do is dwell on the ball and then collapse under the pressure of someone half your size. This is just on Dendonker. He will learn.

I hope he doesn't have the chance to learn that with us though.  I never want to see him in a first team again.  get Tim back if we don't have any other cover.

19 hours ago, turvontour said:

It's a car crash that repeatedly happens, he plays against spurs who had 1 weak floaty cross shot straight at him at head height and another he was no where near where young cleared it, and people were suddenly saying he played well and is decent.

He makes enkleman look secure and reliable. 

While he wasn't totally to blame for the fa cup debacle,  Bailey and big phil wasting 12 shots no where near the target takes some beating, donkers error also and our defences slow plodding negative play throughout the entire game slowing the game to walking pace, his basic lack of being half a decent keeper didn't help.

• Like 1

its a bit of an odd rule but correct decision.

basically if he had fouled him properly - like he could have grabbed him by the throat if he wanted  -  and not even let him reach the box he would still have been sent off but no penalty

• Like 1

It’s not an odd rule at all. We’re scummy if complaining we actually fouled him twice and only the first counted. Fair play to the Stevenage player.

Also, Olson not at fault. Donk should have played it first-time to the corner of the box near Cash and it was a breakaway.

On 10/01/2023 at 09:25, TheMelvillan said:

its a bit of an odd rule but correct decision.

basically if he had fouled him properly - like he could have grabbed him by the throat if he wanted  -  and not even let him reach the box he would still have been sent off but no penalty

Is he only banned for one game? Says in fantasy football he’s back from suspension for our next game but I thought a straight red was 3 games? 

Â