Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

I find it interesting that so many people want to get rid of Donck for one mistake, yet so many people are complaining that Sanson hasn't gotten a second chance after his one big mistake.

At the very least, he's a useful squad player.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thought he looked nervous and really awkward on the ball yesterday when he came on.

Confidence took a bit of a hit after the Stevenage mistake I suppose. 

Can't see him ever being a first team regular regardless.

4 minutes ago, dubliner said:

Thought he looked nervous and really awkward on the ball yesterday when he came on.

Wonder if fan reaction after the mistake had anything to do with that? Lol

Irony is... Only a few games before that he was getting lauded for his performance.

Anyway was just thinking... He can cover CB as well can't he?

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wonder if fan reaction after the mistake had anything to do with that? Lol

Irony is... Only a few games before that he was getting lauded for his performance.

Anyway was just thinking... He can cover CB as well can't he?

Correct. He's a decent backup in a couple of positions. I'd definitely keep him around but I can't see him breaking into the first team considering the options/potential incomings we have. 

24 minutes ago, dubliner said:

We don't need him to be a regular. We need him to be a versatile experienced PL player for the squad

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We don't need him to be a regular. We need him to be a versatile experienced PL player for the squad

Exactly this. Kamara gets injured and he is essential. Otherwise we go back to the Luiz McGinn JJ midfield that never really worked that often

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

he's a very good squad player, who offers a lot defensively and can recycle the ball competently.

If we got rid of every player who made a mistake, we wouldnt have any players.

Kamara has 89% pass success rate which puts him at top 10% of midfielders. Dendoncker is at 87.4% and is in top 20%. Both have strong defensive stats but Kamara is better. So he's a very good player to have in the squad especially given his experience 135 PL appearances and he's a Belgian international. he's also versatile that he canplay CB too if needed. Ideally he's here until Tim is ready to take his place. 

• Like 2

I see Tim being more cover for Dougie rather than taking Dendoncker's place as back up for Kamara. Dougie seems to get forward more than Kamara. Dendoncker likes to hang back whilst Tim likes to five forward, more akin to Dougie.

I'm assuming we have Kamara and Luiz as our central pairing next season, with Dendoncker and Iroegbunam being there as competition and back up/rotation in a healthy squad.

Edited by Monkeypuzzle
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can see him being moved on this summer, hasn’t done much wrong but isn’t featuring much. Think we’ll bring in a Guendouzi or Merino type that can play alongside Luiz and Kamara or instead of one of the two at times. I think both would benefit from the competition.

4 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Can see him being moved on this summer, hasn’t done much wrong but isn’t featuring much. Think we’ll bring in a Guendouzi or Merino type that can play alongside Luiz and Kamara or instead of one of the two at times. I think both would benefit from the competition.

He has only not been involved in 2 games under Emery, he was suspended for a game and cup tied but has been a near ever present player beside that

On 09/01/2023 at 14:25, AVTuco said:

Not a good feeling to have a defensive midfielder you know has a mistake like that in him. It will haunt him mentally for sure, making it even worse.

I think he's a decent player for us though, a dependable back up.

Every player has a mistake in them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

He has only not been involved in 2 games under Emery, he was suspended for a game and cup tied but has been a near ever present player beside that

It’s been something like 44 minutes of game time since the world cup. Excluding the cup game. I don’t dislike Dendoncker but If we bring in a quality midfielder his time may well be up.

Edited by gwi1890

29 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s been something like 44 minutes of game time since the world cup. Excluding the cup game. I don’t dislike Dendoncker but If we bring in a quality midfielder his time may well be up.

Leeds game he was suspended and he didnt make the squad for the Spurs game he might have been injured but he has mainly been a last 15 minute sub so I think Unai trusts him to see out games

Centre midfield is an interesting position with Luiz/Kamara locking the positions down. Nakamba wont be back, maybe Sanson either and Iroegbunam seems to have gone cold recently so can see Dendoncker being kept around plus he has versatility

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Leeds game he was suspended and he didnt make the squad for the Spurs game he might have been injured but he has mainly been a last 15 minute sub so I think Unai trusts him to see out games

Centre midfield is an interesting position with Luiz/Kamara locking the positions down. Nakamba wont be back, maybe Sanson either and Iroegbunam seems to have gone cold recently so can see Dendoncker being kept around plus he has versatility

I think that’s the problem I believe they need real competition. Merino or Guendouzi are versatile enough to play along side both in a slightly advanced position or instead of one. 

Â