Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

Thought he was one of the more competent players for 84 minutes. 

He's **** up for their first, but I'm not sure why Olsen gave it him on the edge of the box with a man up his ass. If I remember correctly, it was also directly after two/three other close  passes between CBs that were getting pressed high.

I think that one could've gone long imo. 

24 minutes ago, Farlz said:

He's a properly fine squad player, don't really have any problem with him.

I just feel though he joins the long list of 'eh' signings we've made over the years where he won't really help us in any significant way and just end up selling him for nothing. 

The idea of serviceable squad players is nice, but sometime it feels like all we have are squad players. And the real first XI doesn’t exist.

6 minutes ago, May-Z said:

He's **** up for their first, but I'm not sure why Olsen gave it him on the edge of the box with a man up his ass. If I remember correctly, it was also directly after two/three other close  passes between CBs that were getting pressed high.

I agree with this - yes it might have been 'embarrassing' to be punting aimless long balls downfield or trying to get to the corner flag against a League 2 side, but less embarrassing than losing the game anyway. It's good to 'play the right way' but I think in any game against any opposition if you're only a goal to the good and there wouldn't be time to get one back if they score, you need to go into full-on 'seeing it out' mode. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The idea of serviceable squad players is nice, but sometime it feels like all we have are squad players. And the real first XI doesn’t exist.

To be fair, in terms of the position Dendoncker plays, we do have clear starters.

Other positions are more problematic as Gerrard decided that wingers are an obsolete concept. Give Unai a couple of transfer windows and I'm sure we'll look a lot better and a lot more stable and settled.

Edited by WooJung

46 minutes ago, May-Z said:

He isn’t on his ass. That’s the worst thing. He had SO much time. 

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

I don't actually know how he was sent off and a pen given. If its a shirt pull, it's outside the area, if it's the foul in the box he's made an attempt to play the ball and can't be sent off.

I was half expecting it to be brought back to the edge of the box. VAR didn't need 3 minutes to make that call.

25 minutes ago, Galway Lion said:

Can someone explain why he was sent off under the double jeopardy rule? He had let go of his shirt outside the area and is clearly trying to win the ball inside the area. Surely worth an appeal 

They should absolutely appeal it. Terrible mistake by Donk but didn’t think it warranted a red.

52 minutes ago, Galway Lion said:

Can someone explain why he was sent off under the double jeopardy rule? He had let go of his shirt outside the area and is clearly trying to win the ball inside the area. Surely worth an appeal 

Pulling someone’s shirt isn’t a genuine attempt to win the ball fairly

1 minute ago, david-avfc said:

Pulling someone’s shirt isn’t a genuine attempt to win the ball fairly

No, but that would've been a free kick.  The penalty must have been given for the trip inside the box.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Glad emery isnt sugar coating it. For me its one of the biggest collosal **** ups over ever seen. He made 3 errors in the space of 20 seconds.  Absymal 

Not good enough get rid in the summer

What's he said to not have sugar coated it? He said the big mistake was the 90 minutes as a whole? Have you got a quote?

Â