Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

21 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Reminds me of the pass from Emi to Luiz vs. Brighton, right in the same area too with a player closing them down from behind.

In fairness, was nowhere near as risky as that one.

39 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I agree it was poor play but no one is ever ever ever going to convince me that it's a good idea to play the ball to a player in the middle of the pitch just outside the penalty area with his back to the field of play surrounded by opposition players. 

It was a shit pass and decision by Olsen. It was also Dendoncker wanting too long on the ball (a hallmark of our recent play and one of our biggest shortcomings) and having a proper mental lapse too. What's the point in him taking up that position when our keeper needs an outlet if you don't expect to receive the ball there? **** move. In fact that was one of our biggest issues yesterday - movement - in general.

It was a despicable moment and they're both hugely at fault for it. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

The question is, does he need a first touch? If he plays it straight away he's never going to be in trouble.  

Olsen is shit but it seems to me that too many of our players cannot play one touch. It's always several touches and bang into trouble. 

That’s also a very good point. Especially when suffer from a real lack of pace. However, in that area of the pitch, you gotta get rid of it first time. 

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Forget this error, the game should have been dead by this point. But, we had 78% possession and did FA.

Lol, forget it? I'm not going to forget it any time soon, and nor should anyone. As bad a moment as anything I've seen from a professional footballer in years, certainly a lowlight in claret and blue over the past few seasons. 

Our attackers also being shite in possession doesn't excuse it.

Said after the game and I stick by it, I don't want to see Dendoncker or Bailey get so much as a sniff of a Villa shirt for a long long time.

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Lol, forget it? I'm not going to forget it any time soon, and nor should anyone. As bad a moment as anything I've seen from a professional footballer in years, certainly a lowlight in claret and blue over the past few seasons. 

Our attackers also being shite in possession doesn't excuse it.

Said after the game and I stick by it, I don't want to see Dendoncker or Bailey get so much as a sniff of a Villa shirt for a long long time.

what if they end up doing some laundry?

• Haha 2

At firs I though Olsen's pass played him into trouble but if you look at the second photo, if he'd been awake and had any awareness, he'd have know that there were two players to his left he could have played a first time pass to instead of stumbling over the ball.  I now reckon this one's on Dendoncker alone, he was asleep on the job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

The question is, does he need a first touch? If he plays it straight away he's never going to be in trouble.  

Olsen is shit but it seems to me that too many of our players cannot play one touch. It's always several touches and bang into trouble. 

Olsen is even showing him the way to go. If that is Luiz or Kamara we've escaped three people and are progressing up the pitch. Having taken their front line out of the game. 

look I know its not a popular view in here to lay the blame at Dendonkers feet and yes he was passed a ball in a risky area.  but I think this debate is all just more bollox.  he had from that photo a simple obvious pass to cash first time.  any professional footballer could make that pass.  it wasn't particularly under pressure by the time he received that ball.  that wasn't what happened.  what happened was dendonker decided with 10 minutes to go whilst 1nil up to try and throw a shoulder and beat his man so he could turn and trigger an attack.   he made that decision instead of playing the easy pass that was on.  that is the first part of unforgivable.  the second part is that once he gave the ball away he reacted like a Sunday league player trying to make a tackle from behind in the penalty area instead of trying to get back goal side and make the strikers job difficult.  they may well have scored but at least we would have had 11 men.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Seriously. What the **** is this decision making to give him the ball

ivBBXJz.png

By the time it gets to him he's got two men closing him down, and anything less than a perfect first touch, and he's in trouble

YQ1G7yp.png

He has to do better with his first touch, but it was madness, Olsen throws him under the bus

What option does he really have? Back to Olsen and he's getting closed down and can't pick it up, over to Digne and it's being intercepted. Best option is probably over to his left but he's turned away from them. Best option with what he knows was probably a one touch pass back to Olsen, but that just highlights how stupid it was to give it to him in the first place

The images show how much time and space he had, and sorry to say but it looks like he had plenty. The pressing player is literally 5 or 6 yards away when he receives the ball and he has at least 3 passes on if he controls it properly and lays it off quickly (Olsen, Chambers, Young, maybe even Bednarek as a 4th).

He is a premier league player and is a regular with one of the best international sides, at that level of the game dealing with the ball on the edge of your own box under a moderate level of pressure is literally one of the basics in todays game. 

• Like 3

ive watch Luiz and Kamara receive that pass a hundred times. Its one of the things Emery is trying to encourage, its a very simple lay off, he could even go back to the keeper. The only thing not to do is dwell on the ball and then collapse under the pressure of someone half your size. This is just on Dendonker. He will learn.

Definitely Dendonker's fault. No awareness of what's around him. He goes to turn around after making a bad touch, makes a complete mess of it and has the ball taken off him. Shit like this is why I'm not let go to five a side anymore. Because I have a tendency to do this.

He did similar with a ball out from Olsen a few minutes previously.

overlooking the calamity of it all

The shirt pull was outside the box , and ref gave a free kick  .. How did VAR then decide it was a pen ?  did they somehow play an advantage and then give the second foul ? 

• Like 2

I don't think its a lack of awareness from Dendocker. He just makes an absolute mess of his first touch.

On one hand, I feel like we shouldn't have our keepers make these kinds of short passes in case of scenarios like this. There was a longer pass available to Olsen on the right that he could've made.

But at the same time, Olsen isn't exactly the best with his feet so maybe he told specifically to lay the ball off to the closest player. This worked fine when it was Luiz or Kamara, not so much Dendocker who also isn't the best on the ball.

39 minutes ago, birdman said:

It was crap play no excuses. Either pass it or row Z it both easier options than trying to be clever. I dont expect he got a warning shout from a team mate given how bad we were.

Warning for what? An opposing player 5 yards away? He's a pro footballer ffs. And one that plays central midfield where space is at a premium. He should be fully aware of who is around him. 

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

overlooking the calamity of it all

The shirt pull was outside the box , and ref gave a free kick  .. How did VAR then decide it was a pen ?  did they somehow play an advantage and then give the second foul ? 

Yeah I did y understand that either, the ref blows for a foul outside the area, surely anything played after that incident is null and void?

That people are even attempting to blame Olsen for the goal is mind boggling to me, the fault lies 100% with Dendonkcer,  it was a terrible touch, terrible decision making and also a terrible attempt to give away a freekick, at least foul him before he reaches the penalty area instead of that half-arsed attempt, he gets sent of either way. 

Dendoncker has three options there, pass it to his left (where Olsen is clearly indicating him to pass it), pass it back to Olsen who hoofs it or hoof it himself. 

• Like 2

Â