Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, fruitvilla said:

Agreed ...  with this bit. But I suspect it would actually be painful for Gerrard to watch.

If you want to learn and grow you have to put your ego to the side. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

If you want to learn and grow you have to put your ego to the side.

People seem fixated with other people's egos around here. I am with the School Zaphod Beeblebrox, if there is anything bigger [more important] than my ego I want it caught and shot now.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, wict01 said:

There's really no comparison between Emery and this absolute chancer. I get people wanted to be positive about him but it was so, so clear early on that he had no idea what he was doing. If it walks like a shit manager,  and quacks like a shit manager - it's probably a shit manager. Hope the next job he gets is at Blues. 

My money would have been on a duck doing a Gerrard impression 🤷🏻

14 hours ago, wict01 said:

There's really no comparison between Emery and this absolute chancer. I get people wanted to be positive about him but it was so, so clear early on that he had no idea what he was doing. If it walks like a shit manager,  and quacks like a shit manager - it's probably a shit manager. Hope the next job he gets is at Blues. 

Agreed, Emery is a fully formed manager, Gerrard is not. He shouldn't have been given the job, he's nowhere near ready and was entirely unsurprisingly way out of his depth.  He was yet another example of a "big name" being given a job because of his name, rather than on merit. But I don't think he's "a chancer". He tried his best and it was way, way short of what is needed at Premier league level. He made a whole ton of obvious mis-steps because he didn't know what works and what doesn't. Football at the top level isn't about a managers previous playing career, but he had not much more than that to fall back on. The game has already changed a lot since he stopped playing 7 + years ago, and it's massively different from the 80s, 90s and 00s, so much so as to almost be a completely different sport in most regards at the top level.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2023 at 05:46, blandy said:

He made a whole ton of obvious mis-steps because he didn't know what works and what doesn't.

It's odd though isn't it, because arguably, through Benitez and Houllier, he knew exactly what worked. Neither manager would ever approach the media or the squad in the same way as SG at Villa and both seemed pretty humble and even honourable in some ways. Maybe more one way than the other, but tactics and man-management seemed to feature heavily. Where was the evidence of either at Villa?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This ghost of this **** cretin still haunts us. His shit players like olsen and dendonker what poor **** investments man

It's the lack of wide players that cost us, as they did when he was in charge.  We should have been out of sight for all the possession we had, just when we got close to the penalty box Bailey and Coutinho ballooned it to the corner flag every time and we had bugger all on the bench to change things up.  That leaves you open to sucker punches from mistakes at the other end.

On 08/01/2023 at 20:06, Demitri_C said:

This ghost of this **** cretin still haunts us. His shit players like olsen and dendonker what poor **** investments man

Digne and Coutinho as well. 

Between those 4 players Villa spent or will spend £55m on transfer fees and around £60-70m on total wages.

**** hell, I can't support another team with this fraud in charge. Poor Lewy won;t get to play in another major tournament either.

On the other hand, Villa wouldn't have to keep paying his wages. Which is why he didn't take the Bruges job and probably won't take this.

7 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Can you imagine them Polish lads trying to understand what he's saying? 

It's hard enough for us and we come from the same country as the prat. 

One Polish comment was "Matty Cash won't need a translator anymore". Yeah I'm not so sure about that.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

One Polish comment was "Matty Cash won't need a translator anymore". Yeah I'm not so sure about that.

Polish media is so far detached from English football they though Martinez would be a dream manager for Poland.

They know very little. 

Â