Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

What on earth were we thinking hiring him!?

I think we can put it down to an error of judgement borne out of nepotism. 

Thankfully it's in the past now and we move forward. But yeah, what on earth we were doing?

• Like 3

I can't help thinking Bodymoor Heath must have been **** miserable with him in charge. Mardy slapped arse face moping around, whinging things aren't good enough. Taking the ketchup. No tactics.

Absolutely **** tragic we let him stink the club out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I can't help thinking Bodymoor Heath must have been **** miserable with him in charge. Mardy slapped arse face moping around, whinging things aren't good enough. Taking the ketchup. No tactics.

Absolutely **** tragic we let him stink the club out.

Somebody made a good point in the Emery thread though that his tenure effectively lanced the boil (can't think of a better term?) by drawing so much anger and derision which has allowed Emery to enjoy such overwhelming support, and will probably give him more credit in the bank for future rough patches. Was always going to be difficult following on from Smith as well (although that's not why Gerrard failed obviously).

10 hours ago, blandy said:

Exactly. As a kind of aside, some people seem to think there’s a notion around some players of “he’s a born winner” that somehow makes them extra suitable to be managers. It’s utter rot, in multiple ways. Firstly because there’s no such thing. Yes, excellent players tend to win stuff, but that’s because the best clubs tend to sign them to play with other excellent players, so they have careers that win stuff. The next reason is that strongly driven players with ability are pretty universally self centred, which more often than not renders them unsuited to managing people who might not be as good as them.

I guess in reflecting on his year after a few Christmas drinks poor Stevie was all maudlin like. “They were supposed to love me and venerate me, but they shouted “you scouse bastard, get out of our club” very loudly and angrily indeed. It’s not fair” and little salty tears trickled down his cheeks as he sought out videos of him doing a goal against the ungrateful hordes..

Yeah, and also I think there's something, which I don't know quite how to articulate, but it's like he hasn't moved passed his own playing career. Like, yes mate, you were a very good player and you showed us that good and proper on the regular, but you're not a player any more, you're a manager, and there's some sense here that just expecting players to produce 'moments of magic' like he was able to produce as a player is all he was able to do as a manager. What I'm trying to get at is I think showing off your own skill as a player makes you look worse as a manager. 

19 hours ago, blandy said:

Exactly. As a kind of aside, some people seem to think there’s a notion around some players of “he’s a born winner” that somehow makes them extra suitable to be managers. It’s utter rot, in multiple ways. Firstly because there’s no such thing. Yes, excellent players tend to win stuff, but that’s because the best clubs tend to sign them to play with other excellent players, so they have careers that win stuff. The next reason is that strongly driven players with ability are pretty universally self centred, which more often than not renders them unsuited to managing people who might not be as good as them.

I guess in reflecting on his year after a few Christmas drinks poor Stevie was all maudlin like. “They were supposed to love me and venerate me, but they shouted “you scouse bastard, get out of our club” very loudly and angrily indeed. It’s not fair” and little salty tears trickled down his cheeks as he sought out videos of him doing a goal against the ungrateful hordes.

I can’t think of a manager who made less effort to have any kind of relationship with the club and supporters. “Here I am. I’m Stevie G. Follow me, do what I say”.

Er, no mate. Go away and learn how to be a manager deserving of the job you had no right to be given, or frankly any manager’s job.

Brilliant post. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mantis said:

Somebody made a good point in the Emery thread though that his tenure effectively lanced the boil (can't think of a better term?) by drawing so much anger and derision which has allowed Emery to enjoy such overwhelming support, and will probably give him more credit in the bank for future rough patches. Was always going to be difficult following on from Smith as well (although that's not why Gerrard failed obviously).

I really hope you're right regarding patience.

I thought we were pretty good yesterday and there was still loads of moans around me in the ground.

15 hours ago, Villa87 said:

Only good thing the clearing in the woods did was bring in Kamara. 

I've seen this from a few people. Was Gerrard really instrumental in signing Kamara? Surely he's exactly the kind of player we'd have been chasing anyway?

IMO Gerrard has been really really bad for Villa and there aren't really any silver linings, because we probably could have replaced Smith with a manager of Emery's stature about a year before he arrived. And avoided throwing silly money at Digne, Coutinho, etc., instead focusing on younger prospects.

Gerrard has set us back 1 or 2 years, and the only reason we see any positives is we've always had a fair bit of money to spend on transfers, so of course we've brought in some decent players. But **** the word removed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

If the rumours are true and Gerrard is set to replace Smith again, albeit at a lower level, then, well, football really is a crazy world.

I really hope this happens so I can watch him fail, again. It will finally end the Stevie G myth and he can disappear forever.

6 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

If the rumours are true and Gerrard is set to replace Smith again, albeit at a lower level, then, well, football really is a crazy world.

Norwich are savvier than that

• Like 1

Â