Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I wish him the best, but if I were him, I would consider going back to the Scottish premier league, obviously not at rangers, and reestablish a foundation there. He seemed pretty comfortable in that Level , and it would probably help rebuild confidence and give  a chance to learn. Managing Poland seems like a huge risk. If he blows it there, his reputation will truly be in Tatters. A lot of better managers than he have lost their jobs in the English Premier league, it’s brutal. He’s not ready for that level play. International play for Poland will be like coaching Villa, and there won’t be much tolerance for losses.

Just now, Marka Ragnos said:

I wish him the best, but if I were him, I would consider going back to the Scottish premier league, obviously not at rangers, and reestablish a foundation there. He seemed pretty comfortable in that Level , and it would probably help rebuild confidence and give  a chance to learn. Managing Poland seems like a huge risk. If he blows it there, his reputation will truly be in Tatters. A lot of better managers than he have lost their jobs in the English Premier league, it’s brutal. He’s not ready for that level play. International play for Poland will be like coaching Villa, and there won’t be much tolerance for losses.

Yes because Stevie Me is going to rock up at Aberdeen and sign £780 a week footballers.

• Haha 2

His reputation as a manager already isn't great as didn't do well with us and rightly or wrongly any good form with us, or success he had with Rangers now being credited to Beale.

Not sure if he would have much to lose as Poland manager, their group for the Euro 2024 qualifers consists of Czech Republic, Albania, Faroe Islands, Moldova, don't know a great deal about those national teams at the moment, but surely Gerrard would have a good chance qualifying from that group with Poland.

Maybe he can rebuild his reputation on the international stage, in a similar fashion to how Southgate has done, that is by managing a national team that mostly plays fixtures against weaker countries in football terms.

I look forward to him explaining after every loss that he will be signing new players in the summer to replace these players that keep letting him down

Probably drop Lewandowski for not looking him in the eye

• Haha 1

On 11/01/2023 at 18:01, HanoiVillan said:

I don't see it. Have England ever hired a manager based on doing well with another country's national team? 

If he's after the England job, doing some work at St George's and then becoming U23 manager when there's a vacancy would be his best route IMO. 

Hodgson managed loads of international teams and was said to be in contention in early 2000s around the time Sven got it. 

That said he came back to prem and did pretty good jobs at Fulham and West Brom so that was more what got him England job.

Gerrard managing Poland will be really random. Can only think someone at Polish FA is a big Liverpool fan, asked Cash if it would be a good idea, Cashy said "tak" and here we are.

I think Lewa is staying on so Poland will probably scrape into the euros but difficult to see what impact he can make given it's generally an ageing team now.

4 hours ago, useless said:

If Gerrard becomes Poland manager, I would not be surprised to see a lot more English players with dual nationality switch to Poland. I don't know if there are many dual nationals  at the moment, maybe in the lower age groups, Marschall of us is one, but maybe that's part of the Polish FA's thinking, appoint Gerrard and attract some of the up and coming young English players that have dual nationality with Poland. 😇

Did Tarkowski ever get an England cap in a competitive game? That could be one to look at although he's probably rejected their advances in the past.

22 minutes ago, Mantis said:

He'll thrash a couple of minnows like Moldova and the Faroe Islands and the media will gleefully proclaim that this proves we didn't give him enough time.

He won't. He'll scrape past them based on a "few moments of magic" from his superior squad.

12 hours ago, useless said:

His reputation as a manager already isn't great as didn't do well with us and rightly or wrongly any good form with us, or success he had with Rangers now being credited to Beale.

Not sure if he would have much to lose as Poland manager, their group for the Euro 2024 qualifers consists of Czech Republic, Albania, Faroe Islands, Moldova, don't know a great deal about those national teams at the moment, but surely Gerrard would have a good chance qualifying from that group with Poland.

Maybe he can rebuild his reputation on the international stage, in a similar fashion to how Southgate has done, that is by managing a national team that mostly plays fixtures against weaker countries in football terms.

Poland would massively struggle to qualify from that group with Gerrard as manager, even if top 2 go through.

3 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Maybe he needs to look at Erik ten Hag working as a youth manager, coach and assistant  for 13 years and learning under various managers before taking his first managerial job.

He is too big headed for that.

• Like 2

Â