Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

Desperate for a performance today, it's very reactionary but I'm kind of out of love with all of our players after the last few weeks bar the keeper and Bailey. Just would like a display where I can go back to rating a few of them again.

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think it can - we need three proper midfielders in there - Buendia leaves us too lightweight and gives our opposition control of the game. 

At best we could maybe put Nakamba in for McGinn and try that, but we don't have a pair of defensive midfielders that can make it work.

Regardless, It is pretty obvious we need a big strong ball winning midfielder and it's something we have needed since we got promoted

• Like 1

If the line up is released and it’s 5 at the back again we’ll be effectively 0-1 down already. Crowd will be ready to hound any mistakes. 4-2-3-1 and we stand a chance.

Start Bailey - he has to. Buendia hasn’t been great but in the centre of a three I think he’ll be far more effective.

Mings and Targett need to pull their fingers out, both liabilities at the moment.

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett

Luiz - McGinn

Watkins - Buendia - Bailey

Ings

10 minutes ago, Chasetown Villa said:

If the line up is released and it’s 5 at the back again we’ll be effectively 0-1 down already. Crowd will be ready to hound any mistakes. 4-2-3-1 and we stand a chance.

Start Bailey - he has to. Buendia hasn’t been great but in the centre of a three I think he’ll be far more effective.

Mings and Targett need to pull their fingers out, both liabilities at the moment.

Martinez

Luiz - McGinn

Ings

I do like that formation but I don’t think we have the players to play it effectively. You need 2 dedicated and effective defensive midfielders like Rice and Phillips for England. I’m not sure Dougie is that player and I’m certain SJM isn’t.

You need a proper 10. I think Buendia could be that player but I would keep him on the right until he finds some form.

You also need quality wide forwards. Ollie is a 9. Move him away from that and he is a championship player again.

I think we need to go back to 4-3-3. The same back 5 as you have. Luiz as the pivot. SJM and Ramsey as 8’s. Front 3 of Buendia, Ollie and Bailey.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I do like that formation but I don’t think we have the players to play it effectively. You need 2 dedicated and effective defensive midfielders like Rice and Phillips for England. I’m not sure Dougie is that player and I’m certain SJM isn’t.

You need a proper 10. I think Buendia could be that player but I would keep him on the right until he finds some form.

You also need quality wide forwards. Ollie is a 9. Move him away from that and he is a championship player again.

I think we need to go back to 4-3-3. The same back 5 as you have. Luiz as the pivot. SJM and Ramsey as 8’s. Front 3 of Buendia, Ollie and Bailey.

Wasn’t Ollie a wide forward for Brentford for a time?
Anyone know how effective he was there?

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

Wasn’t Ollie a wide forward for Brentford for a time?
Anyone know how effective he was there?

He was an ok championship player. He only rose to prominence when he moved to 9. He doesn’t have the ability to play wide in my view. He would just be another square peg in a round hole.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jim said:

Sauces say Ings and Luiz out tomorrow.

Might be a blessing in disguise if Ings is out. Forces our hand to go 4-3-3 and removes the tough decision of him or Watkins, who would have the chance to play himself back into form in his best position/role.

Would rather have Ings on the bench in that situation of course, but we’ve got Keinan back now...😉

40 minutes ago, jim said:

Disagree re Buendia. We should play him where he has been most effective throughout his career, and that is on the right.

Let him find some form and confidence them think about integrating him into a central role. shoehorning him straight into the midfield clearly hasn’t worked.

Exactly. It seems daft the club trying to play him through the middle when he has excelled on the right. Just play him and Bailey behind a striker. Job done. 

1 hour ago, Chasetown Villa said:

Martinez

Luiz - McGinn

Ings

There's no point playing McGinn if he has to sit back and play defensive midfield

Would be good if we could battle our way to a draw today.*

If we want to consolidate our position in the premier league and build from there, we must be come better at controlling games, closing down better sides, and protecting points when they are there to be defended.  This is a classic example of such a game.

(* Obvs a win would be even better!)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I don't think it's because they are any better than us in a footballing ability sense but they are consistently strong physically and very good at set pieces both of which are right on the money as to our weak points. We seem full of lapses in concentration generally and are highly likely to have brain farts in defence... exactly the things a team like them will be good at exploiting.

Maybe but people used to get similarly terrified for the same reason when we played Stoke and we would get results. Panic over nothing its hardly the top 3 coming to Villa Park today 

1 hour ago, skell said:

Regardless, It is pretty obvious we need a big strong ball winning midfielder and it's something we have needed since we got promoted

Nonsense really. They won't stop the rest of our players giving the ball away

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Young

McGinn Luiz

JPB.       Ramsey.    Bailey

Ings

Actually think there's an outside chance Hause comes in for Mings

Edited by HalfTimePost

As we saw with Man U. Spurs was a must win game and they changed the system and put in that extra shift. I feel this is a must win game for Villa and you'll see a difference in the performance. West Ham is a tough matchup but if West Ham are without one of their midfield then that will make a big difference. Mark Noble starting would be a great boost for our lads.  The midweek game in the cup against Man City and all the emotions of winning that game could have an impact on their performance. All things considered Villa will win this!

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Our form stinks, already the worst in the league over the last 3 games, and another loss would make for bad reading.

A loss but a much improved performance might be acceptable, but realistically we cannot lose this game.

With Bailey hopefully starting, and a shift back to 433 on the cards, we should be in with a good shout of getting at least a draw.

Yesterday's results have shown anything is possible in this crazy league, as if we needed reminding. Time to bounce back Villa.

46 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Young

McGinn Luiz

JPB.       Ramsey.    Bailey

Ings

Actually think there's an outside chance Hause comes in for Mings

It's doing the rounds on twitter that mings has been dropped to the bench.

Also that luiz and ings have picked up late knocks