Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

Sanson's illness, however you look at it, does leave us with a difficulty.

We play with three central midfielders, two of whom are Luiz and McGinn - for me that much is absolutely concreted in no matter what system we build around it.

Nakamba is available to cover the deeper position and Ramsey is more than likely the third starter.

But without Sanson we're short on the bench and perhaps more pertinently we open ourselves up to the idiocy of trying to force Buendia into being a central midfielder.

Dean Smith seems keen to try to put him there and it patently doesn't work, either for the team, that becomes unbalanced; or the player, who is too lightweight for the position and looks a bit lost there.

Without another midfield option, the temptation sits there begging Dean to give it 'one more try'.

It doesn't work, it won't work, it's a bad idea.

Against Arsenal we started with Buendia in midfield and it was a colossal failure - Ramsey came on for 22 minutes and we were better for all of them - put Buendia in the middle of the park against Rice and Soucek and you're handing the game to West Ham.

I guess as a positive it opens up a spot on the bench for perhaps Iroegbanum, although I think it's more likely that we'd use Ashley Young in an emergecy, but it really concerns me that if things aren't going our way in the game we'll end up adding whichever forward gets dropped from the bench and taking out a midfielder for Buendia.

I think again, it puts a bit of light on the most important part of our season so far - the moment where Ward-Prowse decided to stay at Southampton - we're one short to start with and if we've got one misbehaving then, like Matty Cash's hair, we're very thin in the middle.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sanson's illness, however you look at it, does leave us with a difficulty.

We play with three central midfielders, two of whom are Luiz and McGinn - for me that much is absolutely concreted in no matter what system we build around it.

Nakamba is available to cover the deeper position and Ramsey is more than likely the third starter.

But without Sanson we're short on the bench and perhaps more pertinently we open ourselves up to the idiocy of trying to force Buendia into being a central midfielder.

Dean Smith seems keen to try to put him there and it patently doesn't work, either for the team, that becomes unbalanced; or the player, who is too lightweight for the position and looks a bit lost there.

Without another midfield option, the temptation sits there begging Dean to give it 'one more try'.

It doesn't work, it won't work, it's a bad idea.

Against Arsenal we started with Buendia in midfield and it was a colossal failure - Ramsey came on for 22 minutes and we were better for all of them - put Buendia in the middle of the park against Rice and Soucek and you're handing the game to West Ham.

I guess as a positive it opens up a spot on the bench for perhaps Iroegbanum, although I think it's more likely that we'd use Ashley Young in an emergecy, but it really concerns me that if things aren't going our way in the game we'll end up adding whichever forward gets dropped from the bench and taking out a midfielder for Buendia.

I think again, it puts a bit of light on the most important part of our season so far - the moment where Ward-Prowse decided to stay at Southampton - we're one short to start with and if we've got one misbehaving then, like Matty Cash's hair, we're very thin in the middle.

Highlights what a colossal failure not bringing in an additional midfielder was over the summer.

Was our biggest weakness last season and continues to be this season

If I'm truly honest, I would rather not keep Mings in the first 11 he has been so poor.

What's clear is that we need a leader at the back and a real captain, as he is really not good enough for the job.

Given how good West Ham are right now, I'd be looking to line up as below

Martinez

Cash.   Konsa.   Hause.   Mings

McGinn.   Tuanzebe.   Luiz.   

Buendia.           Ings.           Bailey.   

Gives us some options and removes the poorest of our first 11 in Target, takes some pressure off Mings, and gives is more aerial security.

Tuanzebe as  DM is a risk, but he had some good games there in the past, and he's shown me he isn't comfortable at center half.

Still think we'll lose though.  0-3

28 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

If West Ham were the one's in dire form and we were the one's in great form, I'd agree about the change of fortune.  However, it's rarely Villa that end good runs - we're the soft touches that end poor runs!

I can't disagree with anything you have said. It's the hope that kills you

• Haha 1

It’s going to be interesting to see what Smith does in terms of selection tomorrow. In his press conference he stated that our performance against Arsenal was not formation related but simply just poor individual performances. He can’t really believe that.
He also tried to make out that Bailey possibly isn’t ready to start. I don’t think he believes that either.

I suspect that Bailey will start. That means that one of Watkins, Ings or Buendia really needs to come out of the team to accommodate Bailey. Which will it be? Will he try to keep them all in? I really hope that he starts with Ings on the bench. Watkins is class at playing the loan striker role and with Bailey and Buendia either side of him, I can see him flourishing again. I’d also be happy enough with Ings starting with Ollie on the bench but would prefer it the other way around.

I really think this is where Smith will need to earn his corn. He wanted options and he now has them. It’s his job to select those best suited to getting three points and employing them in the right formation. It genuinely is intriguing because I have no idea of what Smith will do so you can bet that Moyes will be guessing too. We pretty much know what to expect from West Ham so Smith may be able to work this to our advantage. We need a fast start and then who knows. Over to you Dean.

• Like 4

On 28/10/2021 at 22:45, hippo said:

Dark wet and stormy Sunday evening in Birmingham. Not sure west ham will have the stomach for an away win.

Could fizzle out into a 0-0

Yeah it’s a big change from the heat of the Mediterranean Newham 😉

I’ll be watching Rag ‘n Bone man and am pleased to be missing this, just spoils my day. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

If I'm truly honest, I would rather not keep Mings in the first 11 he has been so poor.

What's clear is that we need a leader at the back and a real captain, as he is really not good enough for the job.

Given how good West Ham are right now, I'd be looking to line up as below

Martinez

Cash.   Konsa.   Hause.   Mings

McGinn.   Tuanzebe.   Luiz.   

Buendia.           Ings.           Bailey.   

Gives us some options and removes the poorest of our first 11 in Target, takes some pressure off Mings, and gives is more aerial security.

Tuanzebe as  DM is a risk, but he had some good games there in the past, and he's shown me he isn't comfortable at center half.

Still think we'll lose though.  0-3

That would probably just end up being 3 at the back 

17 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Would be nice. He and Soucek absolutely dominated last visit to VP

What you heard? Out injured?

Just a guy on a football trading forum I follow. Gets team news early, has heard Rice is out. 95% right with individual players, but full team news he is usually bang on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1