Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

12 hours ago, Indigo said:

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Bailey was shoe-horned in at LWB as he was vs Everton in a bid to fit him, Buendia, Ings and Watkins into the team. Not that I'd agree with it, but can see it happening.

If we play like we did for the 20 mins Bailey was on the pitch then it may not be a bad thing

12 hours ago, Indigo said:

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Bailey was shoe-horned in at LWB as he was vs Everton in a bid to fit him, Buendia, Ings and Watkins into the team. Not that I'd agree with it, but can see it happening.

Would be complete passing of the buck from DS that, Bailey hasn't signed to be some sort of wing back, he wants to play in a front 3 (as he did v Arsenal).

I think if rumours are true then 4-3-3 is pretty much certain today so think it will be most discussed team selection since Brentford at home when it's announced at half 3.

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Morgan is sick.

if we have no Dougie, we're in a bit of trouble I think.

JJ for Sanson, then. 

Certainly light on options, if Dougie is out as well. 

25 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

It's doing the rounds on twitter that mings has been dropped to the bench.

Also that luiz and ings have picked up late knocks

In which case we're in a world of trouble.

What I will say is that there are always a lot more of these rumours when a section of the fanbase are grumpy.

If they're true, the Ings one isn't a problem and indeed might be helpful as it stops Smith picking both.

A midfield of McGinn, Nakamba and Ramsey will struggle though - especially if we have to use Chukwuemeka or Iroegbanum from the bench.

It will be interesting in any case, to see how we line up. If Deano gives 3-5-2 another chance, he’ll certainly be putting is head on the block for a section of the fanbase. While still having plenty of patience left in the bank for Deano, not switching back to 4-3-3 after the horrorshow that was the first half at the Emirates, would be incredibly puzzling. We look much better and much more comfortable in the 4-3-3, including defensively. It needs to come back as our regular formation. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In which case we're in a world of trouble.

What I will say is that there are always a lot more of these rumours when a section of the fanbase are grumpy.

If they're true, the Ings one isn't a problem and indeed might be helpful as it stops Smith picking both.

A midfield of McGinn, Nakamba and Ramsey will struggle though - especially if we have to use Chukwuemeka or Iroegbanum from the bench.

Agree. I don't believe any of them are true, we'll see in a few hours.

Luiz would be s huge, huge miss

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When did we become so scared of West Ham?

since their obvious improvement.....They have bought well and more importantly, bought balanced.

If we can win this today, it would be a real scalp.

41 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Two things I don't want to see:

5 at the back.

Ings and Watkins up front.

Two things I do want to see:

Better pressure from Midfield.

Better concentration all over the pitch.

3 points would be nice too. 

I'll check in on my phone, if at any point we are two goals clear, I'll join the match thread.

So...see you for the Saints game :trollface:

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There are a number of question marks and criticisms of our 3-5-2/5-3-2, but probably the most important one today is the effect it'll have on the stadium if it's announced as the way we're playing at 15:30. 

The irony is....Man U switched to it and got a 0-3 win....We have had 2 good wins with it, home and away.

Is it really the system?.....just asking.

I have to say, I hope he changes it, just to shake things up and as your say, I think it could get toxic, if he doesn't....but Dean himself seems to think its not the system.

I am just asking if we are barking up the wrong tree.

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I'll check in on my phone, if at any point we are two goals clear, I'll join the match thread.

So...see you for the Saints game :trollface:

You might be better off joining the match thread if we're at least three goals clear, not two... considering what happened recently v Wolves! That nearly made me actually depressed, not just very annoyed.

• Like 1

I hate to mention he who must not be named but I think his absence is to blame more than we might want to admit.

We're in transition after losing our best player. Systems come and go but spirit, determination and self-belief are key to everything.  No system allows opposition CB's to run the length of the park unchallenged as happened against Arsenal - that's down to individuals taking responsibility.  We need to see Mings, Watkins and McGinn offer more today and give us the spine to the team we've seemingly lost.

We need a spark, something to go our way and to build from. Hopefully that will come today against WHU but it's a big ask, ironically if we get something positive from the game, then it could be just the spark we need. We must try to remain patient as Dean Smith teams do go on losing AND winning streaks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, robby b said:

You might be better off joining the match thread if we're at least three goals clear, not two... considering what happened recently v Wolves! That nearly made me actually depressed, not just very annoyed.

Good idea.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darth Villa said:

I hate to mention he who must not be named but I think his absence is to blame more than we might want to admit.

We're in transition after losing our best player. Systems come and go but spirit, determination and self-belief are key to everything.  No system allows opposition CB's to run the length of the park unchallenged as happened against Arsenal - that's down to individuals taking responsibility.  We need to see Mings, Watkins and McGinn offer more today and give us the spine to the team we've seemingly lost.

We need a spark, something to go our way and to build from. Hopefully that will come today against WHU but it's a big ask, ironically if we get something positive from the game, then it could be just the spark we need. We must try to remain patient as Dean Smith teams do go on losing AND winning streaks.

What we miss is Jacks ability to hold and carry the ball, above all else.

I think that (bolded bit) is spot on.

I think the changing systems is more to do with waking players up, than the system itself.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1