Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

23 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Just a guy on a football trading forum I follow. Gets team news early, has heard Rice is out. 95% right with individual players, but full team news he is usually bang on.

isnt Soucek out also?

I’m fed up of predicting negative results but I can’t see anything other than Spam smashing us. We look like lost kids running around at the moment. I just have zero confidence in Villa at the moment against anyone but the lowest teams. I said Arsenal would smash us and we would kickstart their season, they’re beating Leicester at the moment, that wouldn’t have happened a few weeks ago. We are so fragile as a team at present.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sanson's illness, however you look at it, does leave us with a difficulty.

We play with three central midfielders, two of whom are Luiz and McGinn - for me that much is absolutely concreted in no matter what system we build around it.

Nakamba is available to cover the deeper position and Ramsey is more than likely the third starter.

But without Sanson we're short on the bench and perhaps more pertinently we open ourselves up to the idiocy of trying to force Buendia into being a central midfielder.

Dean Smith seems keen to try to put him there and it patently doesn't work, either for the team, that becomes unbalanced; or the player, who is too lightweight for the position and looks a bit lost there.

Without another midfield option, the temptation sits there begging Dean to give it 'one more try'.

It doesn't work, it won't work, it's a bad idea.

Against Arsenal we started with Buendia in midfield and it was a colossal failure - Ramsey came on for 22 minutes and we were better for all of them - put Buendia in the middle of the park against Rice and Soucek and you're handing the game to West Ham.

I guess as a positive it opens up a spot on the bench for perhaps Iroegbanum, although I think it's more likely that we'd use Ashley Young in an emergecy, but it really concerns me that if things aren't going our way in the game we'll end up adding whichever forward gets dropped from the bench and taking out a midfielder for Buendia.

I think again, it puts a bit of light on the most important part of our season so far - the moment where Ward-Prowse decided to stay at Southampton - we're one short to start with and if we've got one misbehaving then, like Matty Cash's hair, we're very thin in the middle.

Yes but there is a big difference between buendia being the only focal point in a 5 32 and buendia being one of 4 gifted attacking players , albeit with defensive responsibilities  . I think 433 with luiz McGinn buendia could work

25 minutes ago, skell said:

Yes but there is a big difference between buendia being the only focal point in a 5 32 and buendia being one of 4 gifted attacking players , albeit with defensive responsibilities  . I think 433 with luiz McGinn buendia could work

I don't think it can - we need three proper midfielders in there - Buendia leaves us too lightweight and gives our opposition control of the game. 

At best we could maybe put Nakamba in for McGinn and try that, but we don't have a pair of defensive midfielders that can make it work.

Does anyone think we'll change the system against West Ham, or continue with 3-5-2/5-3-2?

I noticed Tuanzebe talking positively about our approach to this game which may indicate that he is playing, and I can't think of a positive tactical change that would include his involvement.

18 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

If I'm truly honest, I would rather not keep Mings in the first 11 he has been so poor.

What's clear is that we need a leader at the back and a real captain, as he is really not good enough for the job.

Given how good West Ham are right now, I'd be looking to line up as below

Martinez

Cash.   Konsa.   Hause.   Mings

McGinn.   Tuanzebe.   Luiz.   

Buendia.           Ings.           Bailey.   

Gives us some options and removes the poorest of our first 11 in Target, takes some pressure off Mings, and gives is more aerial security.

Tuanzebe as  DM is a risk, but he had some good games there in the past, and he's shown me he isn't comfortable at center half.

Still think we'll lose though.  0-3

I know what you are trying to do, to counter them....but it shows we should be planning to sign a CDM, with better attributes than Tuanzebe, in that position......McGinn & Luiz could then play off such a player.

Personally, I have no fixation, of what team to play or the formation.....I have a tendency to Agree with Dean, our issues are more about individual application, than formation.....thats not saying, formation is no issue....its a combination of things.

I just hope like you, we don't just surrender the game from set pieces....that would be a sad situation, because it would probably nullify any spirit we have.

23 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sanson's illness, however you look at it, does leave us with a difficulty.

We play with three central midfielders, two of whom are Luiz and McGinn - for me that much is absolutely concreted in no matter what system we build around it.

Nakamba is available to cover the deeper position and Ramsey is more than likely the third starter.

But without Sanson we're short on the bench and perhaps more pertinently we open ourselves up to the idiocy of trying to force Buendia into being a central midfielder.

Dean Smith seems keen to try to put him there and it patently doesn't work, either for the team, that becomes unbalanced; or the player, who is too lightweight for the position and looks a bit lost there.

Without another midfield option, the temptation sits there begging Dean to give it 'one more try'.

It doesn't work, it won't work, it's a bad idea.

Against Arsenal we started with Buendia in midfield and it was a colossal failure - Ramsey came on for 22 minutes and we were better for all of them - put Buendia in the middle of the park against Rice and Soucek and you're handing the game to West Ham.

I guess as a positive it opens up a spot on the bench for perhaps Iroegbanum, although I think it's more likely that we'd use Ashley Young in an emergecy, but it really concerns me that if things aren't going our way in the game we'll end up adding whichever forward gets dropped from the bench and taking out a midfielder for Buendia.

I think again, it puts a bit of light on the most important part of our season so far - the moment where Ward-Prowse decided to stay at Southampton - we're one short to start with and if we've got one misbehaving then, like Matty Cash's hair, we're very thin in the middle.

I agree, but this is my take moving forward.

I think, if we had a powerful centre midfielder in there ( Nakamba is not it for me) it would transform, Luiz and McGinn and release them from having to do what they don't do best....Luiz and McGinn are fine players, but they are not power houses, like Soucek and Rice, neither is Buendia....we have good midfielders, but too many, too similar, to form a balance.

although, its ironic we beat Arsenal to Buendia, to their annoyance....but Partey now seems to be finding his Athletico form.

I am sure at some stage, we will get it right.....I just hope, Soucek & Rice, don't show us on Sunday ,how important power and resillience in the middle is.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think, if we had a powerful centre midfielder in there ( Nakamba is not it for me) it would transform, Luiz and McGinn and release them from having to do what they don't do best....Luiz and McGinn are fine players, but they are not power houses, like Soucek and Rice, neither is Buendia....we have good midfielders, but too many, too similar, to form a balance.

We definitely need one more - a sitter who can control things, either through athleticism or ability on the ball, someone with energy and a calm head. It's the hole in our side, despite the best efforts of a teenager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

We definitely need one more - a sitter who can control things, either through athleticism or ability on the ball, someone with energy and a calm head. It's the hole in our side, despite the best efforts of a teenager.

being saying it for ages, to my detriment....we need a General.

I hope we can find one.

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I’m fed up of predicting negative results but I can’t see anything other than Spam smashing us. We look like lost kids running around at the moment. I just have zero confidence in Villa at the moment against anyone but the lowest teams. I said Arsenal would smash us and we would kickstart their season, they’re beating Leicester at the moment, that wouldn’t have happened a few weeks ago. We are so fragile as a team at present.

sadly.

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m always optimistic ahead of our games, but trying to be realistic here I think we’ll lose 2-0. We’ve rarely got the better of West Ham in recent times. Of course, I hope I’m wrong. 

I don't see us playing badly, but I see us conceding Innocuous set piece goals....just enough to lose, but not enough to be vexed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It's definitely a system problem at the moment. If we can get right, we may come back on form.

Dean seems adamant that its not.

I think its too much to risk, to continue with it.....but what if we do change it to say 4-3-3 and its still the same in terms of results?

A bit of pressure on this game now, especially how the rest of the weekend results have gone.    

Villa 15th, 3 points above relegation zone, having lost 3 games in a row, no confidence, unsure of their best formation, no settled first 11.

Need to grind out a result here, then 3 winnable games to play after that to get our season back on track.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dean seems adamant that its not.

I think its too much to risk, to continue with it.....but what if we do change it to say 4-3-3 and its still the same in terms of results?

He'll be gone! Could be in the bottom 4 with 2-3 more loses, an the I think the West ham game is nailed on loss. 

Although it'll only take a win there to be happy we are back on it.