Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

A performance is needed rather urgently and West Ham are resolute as they come.

For me...

Emi

Cash  Konsa  Mings  Young    

Sanson    Luiz

Buendia  Ramsey   Bailey

Ings

Buendia and Mings lucky to survive. Got to give Emi a go in his normal position. I'm tempted to put McGinn as the marauding 10 because he will score goals if given a run there, I'm certain. Sick of his sloppy play right now though. 

I think even the lunatic Dean Smith would take a point if you offered him one.

• Like 1

This will be a very tough game against a well organised side with a fair bit of talent and depth, it's a good test for us.

I think we'll revert to 4-3-3 with Bailey hopefully fit enough to start by the time this one kicks off. I think the 4-3-3 is more natural for the back four, benefits Buendia as he moves to a more natural wide position, lets Bailey play wide and benefits whichever of the front two we pick as they get to play the lone striker role that's more natural to both.

------------------------Martinez---------------------

Cash--------Konsa-------Mings------Targett

--------------------------Luiz---------------------------

----------------McGinn-----Ramsey*------------

Buendia-------------------------------------Bailey

-------------------------Watkins**------------------

* I'd go with Sanson instead, but I can't see that happening.

** I'm not bothered which of the two strikers start, I'm going Watkins because I think he's a better physical match for them.

• Like 3

It’s quite hard for a half decent team to lose 4 on the bounce against other half decent teams and for that reason, purely stats based, I am certain that we will draw or win this.

Dean will go back to 4-3-3. He simply has to. I suspect that he will still try and play Ings and Ollie from the start, which will make our task more difficult but we won’t lose. 1-1 is the score most likely. 

I expect Dean will return to 433, he can't not after the calamity on Friday night. I fear we will still lose. I think Hammers are just way too organised for us. They are currently up there with the very best of the PL teams in terms of organisation and cohesion, they just have inferior players to City, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Can't see anything other than a defeat if we play 3-5-2 West Ham will win quite comfortably 3-0. Go back to what we know I think we could possible grind out a draw. Can't see us beating them. 

They're a pretty dull side to watch, in their manager's image. Similar to how he had Everton playing in the late 00's. Reliance on set-pieces and physical strength and aerial dominance (for Fellaini read Soucek/Antonio).

Whether we play 5-3-2 or not, this is the game where you stick Hause on Antonio all game. He's the only one of our defenders who will gave him a battle.

• Like 1

Pressure on all concerned now and I'm really interested if Smith can get a reaction from the players.

The mental strength and confidence must eminate from Smith and the management.

After three losses we really need a win here! 

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Dare I say the reaction and performance is even more important than the actual result next weekend?  Plenty of time to turn it around but it seems unlikely yet again that we'll be breaching those European spots anytime soon.

As for West Ham, I still don't think they are that great a side top to bottom but Moyes is clearly getting a tune out of them and they are very hard working as a unit.  They have a job to do and they all seem to know it and implement it.  Something we're not doing at all.

Change of formation and personnel, a better performance but ultimately a defeat predicted.

Absolutely dreading this. They’re too big and strong for us. Arsenal bullied us so Hammers definitely can. 

Soucek and Antonio guaranteed to score. Just do not in any way see how our midfield gets the better of theirs and that’ll decide it, in my opinion. 

Hope we get back to 433.

• Sad 1