Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I agree. If we play to our potential we have a very good chance of winning. West Ham’s players are no better than ours and we are at home.

Exactly. I'm not expecting us to win but if we did it would hardly be the shock of the season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

West Ham are good but it's not as if it's David vs Goliath. They've drawn away to Palace and Southampton and lost at home to Brentford so far this season for example.

it is......only if we think it is.

It will be an interesting test of Character for me tomorrow.

West Ham on 17 trying to keep in touch with the top 4......us on 10 trying to avoid the bottom.

It will be interesting to see the outcome.

28 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The bookies are right to make West Ham favourites tomorrow but come on, it's not as if we're playing late 2000s/early 2010s Barcelona. It'll be a tough game but we've beaten just as good teams this season.

Fair point, it’s absolutely not beyond us but I don’t think we’ll get a result. I would be delighted to be wrong. My general point was that I still have faith we’ll have a decent season, just might get a bit worse before it gets better.

30 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I agree. If we play to our potential we have a very good chance of winning. West Ham’s players are no better than ours and we are at home.

They are no better than ours in terms of technical ability.....but in many other terms they are. I think the sort of things they are better than us at,is overlooked too much at B6.

However, we need to impose ourselves on them, not by going toe to toe.....sit in and catch them on the counter, bailey will help us do that.

Edited by TRO

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

A Steve McMahon, prototype. 

Someone like that, Yeah.

or a much better version of Jedinak or Whelan....it doesn't have to be a big power house, it could be an industrious player like Des Bremner or Robbie Savage....but technically better...someone to disrupt and take charge.

Edited by TRO

The players better put a shift in for him tomorrow as well.

They are largely culpable for this predicament.

A couple of brainfarts, passes directly to opposition, lack of effort i'd say has cost us at minimum 3 - 5 points imo,

Also, fans will be needed more than ever.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think it can - we need three proper midfielders in there - Buendia leaves us too lightweight and gives our opposition control of the game. 

At best we could maybe put Nakamba in for McGinn and try that, but we don't have a pair of defensive midfielders that can make it work.

I think Nakamba-Luiz-McGinn is reasonably balanced tbf. Nakamba the pure DM, Luiz is capable of playing as an 8 if required and McGinn is at his best ratting around the opposition box winning the ball and getting shots in. Problem is Nakamba isn't really good enough to be week in week out starter at this level and McGinn throws in the odd poor game even when he's generally been in good form as he has this season.

Ramsey to come off bench to add energy as he did at Arsenal so I wouldn't say it's terrible,

Some interesting team news floating around for both teams it seems. Huge for us if Rice is out as I presume they'd start Noble and he's well past it as a starter at prem level now. I guess West Ham are staying in centre of Brum like most away teams do so get down Broad street at 2pm and see if he gets on the coach and there's your answer.