January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

19 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Every January people say the same things about there never have been decent signings made during that particular window yet it's just not true!

Nemanja Vidić, Van Dijk, Aubameyang, Suarez, B. Fernandes, P. Evra, A. Laporte, R. Mahrez, Coutinho to name just a few....

Imagine a XI featuring all of them… would be formidable (but no goal keeper! 😂)

I would't be surprised to see us raid Albion for some more youngsters, Sousa, Jimoh, Cardoso, and Cleary all highly rated. There have been rumours that Sousa might have already agreed to join us, turns seventeen in January so might hear something then as he can then sign a professional contract.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I totally forgot Carew was January

Young too, thought that was the summer MON took over but obviously not. 

MON took over a week or two before the summer deadline and was only able to bring Petrov in. Carew, Young, and someone else, maybe Reo-Coker in January.

8 hours ago, Philosopher said:

MON took over a week or two before the summer deadline and was only able to bring Petrov in. Carew, Young, and someone else, maybe Reo-Coker in January.

Ah I remember now. God in some ways it feels quite recent, but in some ways it feels like a million years ago. 

8 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Gotta be. Bent came in and did his job. Kept us up. Then he got injured and Lambert mismanaged him, because Lambert was terrible.

Bent was just a penalty box striker. The injury and lack professionalism (was never in proper shape after that) meant he lost his pace and never got it back.

He scored 9 goal but otherwise his performances were average. That was a squad with lots of quality. They never would have been relegated.

This Bent came in a saved us myth  is bs. He was a knee jerk reaction which cost the club an obscene amount of money (for the time) for less than 20 goals in 5 years. People shit on Gabby, but Bent should be the one we shit on!

There is a reason Lambert's first major move was to bring in Benteke!

• Like 1

bent is another one i have sympathy for

can remember under mcleish him being our 1 man up front which a lot of the time meaning he was our only player in the oppositions half, he got so much stick from people around me in the lower holte

60 yard ball smashed in his general direction "jump you lazy bastard" and do what? knock it on for himself to chase? jump a foot higher than the defender chest it down turn and beat the other 3? his lack of effort and challenging for headers and pressing was stark but at the same time i just dont think he was that **** stupid, he's not ollie watkins the 1 man pressing machine, he wasnt doing doggies vs a back 4 whilst he had no team mate within 30 yards of him also pressing but there was some real anger in the stands because of it

after that his head was gone, i think mcleish killed him with his shite football, i think he bore the brunt of the anger for our poor attack under mcleish - because i also think for all the fuss over mcleish's appointment, which is still the worst in football history but was brushed under the carpet, villa fans gave him a free ride for a long time, you could feel the tension but i dont think we played up to it for ages maybe because we didnt want the perception of not giving him a chance, that anger went elsewhere

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Philosopher said:

All correct except Reo-Coker was the following summer. He made his debut vs Inter Milan at Villa Park in a pre-season friendly. Remember it well from being there.

Halcyon days, those.

Edited by est1874