January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

4 hours ago, sne said:

A hard worker who is probably a slight improvement on Nakamba. Solid squad option but not someone who is likely to be good enough as a starter for a team pushing for top half PL positions.

I'm not saying he will be any good but he looks absolutely nothing like Nakamba. Where are you getting this impression from? 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not saying he will be any good but he looks absolutely nothing like Nakamba. Where are you getting this impression from? 

Not saying they are similar as players, but that they are similar level players.  Kamara the better of them 

I looked through some of Kamara's stats last season on whoscored. He didn't seem to have impressive defensive stats but neither did he have impressive offensive stats. It's his passing that seems the most impressive. He averaged a lot passes per 90 last season and a lot of accurate short passes in particular. Suggest more of a water carrier type.

I just noticed that whoscored also considers him to be a very good passer. So both of us have independently(although presumably based on the same dataset) come to the same conclusion regarding his passing. They don't list any other strengths of weaknesses of his though.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I watched the first minute of that, and the first 3 clips of of the video, and in each of the 3 he performed something that Nakamba isn’t capable of. Looks much more technically proficient than Nakamba. 

2 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I watched the first minute of that, and the first 3 clips of of the video, and in each of the 3 he performed something that Nakamba isn’t capable of. Looks much more technically proficient than Nakamba. 

Maybe if Nakamba got so much time on the ball he would too. Petrov looked like that in Scotland and he had change his game completely to get a game

• Like 2

I wouldn't expect us to be spending much money, we won't have much room to because of FFP, and Gerrard has obviously been brough in because he built his Rangers team on a modest budget, and much of that was raised by their own achievments in Europe, also remark how there was an emphasis on the academy in Purslow's comments welcoming him to the club.

Just kidding, but sometimes jokes hearken the truth.

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe if Nakamba got so much time on the ball he would too. Petrov looked like that in Scotland and he had change his game completely to get a game

Definitely not, don't be so ridiculous. 

If you're saying this Kamara fella is as good as Petrov we should pay whatever it takes on January 1st.  

Watching that video there was probably 4/5 times when he did fancy little turns deep in his own half that you just don’t get away with in the PL.,

As Zatman alluded to, he’d have to change his game. He might be good enough to do it, but it’s why talking players from the SPL is difficult 

2 hours ago, useless said:

I wouldn't expect us to be spending much money, we won't have much room to because of FFP, and Gerrard has obviously been brough in because he built his Rangers team on a modest budget, and much of that was raised by their own achievments in Europe, also remark how there was an emphasis on the academy in Purslow's comments welcoming him to the club.

Just kidding, but sometimes jokes hearken the truth.

I don’t think our FFP position is bad. I just think that we can’t just keep buying players which are only good for midtable or even top half. We can get those who have the potential to become top 6 players. It’s the time to use our resources right. We need to see our academy players rather than the likes of El Ghazi who we know their level already. If we’re not in a big danger coming January I don’t think it would be wise to buy for the short term. Yes we could have a shot at the FA cup but that’s about it. We just need to be sure we’re not in danger of relegation. We have a lot of prospects that need to be playing and starting game. None has looked out of place or made us down. Chuck, JPB, Archer and A.Ramsey all should play more sooner than later. 20mins rather than the 5 here or there. 
We will need a proper upgrade on the summer anyway. But rushing it in January won’t be good for the long term vision. Ofcourse if we went into a winning run (4/6) Or a losing run things would be different. But if we’re 6-7 points after the next 5 games I think we’ll be doing ok. We won’t have a chance for European places, nor big threat for relegation (again if we were doing well after that).

20 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t think our FFP position is bad.

Apparently it is 19th in the table with 5 million wiggle room with 24.5 million added next year from Grealish surplus is still 19th unless I'm missing something. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10108067/How-Premier-League-club-spend-transfers-FFP-rules.html

"Elsewhere, Aston Villa's FFP position is expected to improve once the 2021  accounts are in.

Villa made a net profit in the summer 2021 transfer window of £24.5m, thanks to the sale of Jack Grealish to Manchester City for £100m, which will increase their spending power going forward."

4 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I'm fully convinced agent Smith will be selling all Norwich's best players to us and also buying our worst players.

So Rashica finally gets his move to Villa?

Thank cod for that.

Spoiler

:trollface:

• Haha 1

I watch quite a lot of Rangers and I genuinely don’t think any of their players improve us. Hopefully we will steer clear of them. I really hope we just do the right thing and invest some serious cash on a centre mid. I would much rather we buy one really good player in a key position than 3/4 average players.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

looks like an excellent no.8, i wouldnt say no, but do we need another 8?

If we bought a DM for no.6, "and" a player like Kamara i would be fine, i think we could do with 1-2 midfielders in Jan, but depends on our budget, as we prob need our defence bolstering a little also?

27 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Apparently it is 19th in the table with 5 million wiggle room with 24.5 million added next year from Grealish surplus is still 19th unless I'm missing something. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10108067/How-Premier-League-club-spend-transfers-FFP-rules.html

"Elsewhere, Aston Villa's FFP position is expected to improve once the 2021  accounts are in.

Villa made a net profit in the summer 2021 transfer window of £24.5m, thanks to the sale of Jack Grealish to Manchester City for £100m, which will increase their spending power going forward."

That’s literally doesn’t make sense. 

how can we be 2nd worst after getting a £100 million FFP boost?

Even without selling Grealish and buying Bailey/Ings I doubt we were second worst in the league.

Just now, ender4 said:

That’s literally doesn’t make sense. 

how can we be 2nd worst after getting a £100 million FFP boost?

Even without selling Grealish and buying Bailey/Ings I doubt we were second worst in the league.

The Grealish sale won't be added until next financial year and only 24.5 million excess after transfers in which is still 2nd. I included this in my comments

4 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Rangers' team is probably about Championship standard let's be honest. Don't want any of their players.

Focus on improving the team by buying better players than what we have. That's what Rodgers has done at Leicester and it's worked out well.

These links with average Rangers players better all be made up rubbish because it worries me that we'd be interested.

Exactly, we’re not going to progress if we sign average or mediocre players. We need to upgrade, not fill out the squad or buy cover.

Sometimes I think we’re a bit too attached or sentimental when it comes to our existing players too.

You’re not going to get much better as a team/club if you keep hanging onto relatively poor players and continue to give them game time. We have to keep moving forwards and enhancing where we can.

By now, we should be looking at a higher calibre of player. The bracket that Bailey is in is more like it… if we really have ambition (such an overused and tired word) then we have to keep improving and set our targets higher. Otherwise we’re going to go backwards or, at best, stand still (unlikely because no team does or wants to, competition is fierce).

We don’t need to buy from the bargain bin (unless we somehow spot a truly exceptional player) to just “do a job” for us. We need better, much better.

I don’t know about Kamara… it’s so hard to judge whether SPL players will be able to make the step up and handle the quality and intensity of the PL.

But I think someone like Kent would be a pointless target.

I don’t want us to go after Rangers players either. We need to look at the top European leagues and keep an eye out for potential stars further afield. E.g. Alvarez at River Plate.

Let the scouting team do their work and work with them to identify the best targets… rather than go for more “obvious” or easy targets.

• Like 2