January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

9 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

A hard worker who is probably a slight improvement on Nakamba. Solid squad option but not someone who is likely to be good enough as a starter for a team pushing for top half PL positions.

13 hours ago, Awol said:

Julian Alvarez  - anywhere in front 3

Cheick Doucoure - CDM

Mario Hermoso - CB/LB 

Do all that for around £70M in Jan and we’ll have a very good second half of the season. 

Was supposedly available for 15million in summer, Looking like we would have to pay release clause now which is around 25millon 

10 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Was supposedly available for 15million in summer, Looking like we would have to pay release clause now which is around 25millon 

Cheap at the price. He’s on something like 16 goals and 5 assists in 15 games. 

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I think with Axel only on loan and Hause out of contract in the summer, we’re nailed on to take Connor Goldson off Rangers. He’s also out of contract in the summer, so if we pushed this in January it wouldn’t be a huge fee.

Hope we pursue a left back as competition for Targett? Hickey being the obvious one I suppose.

CDM is a must but who? Be interesting to see if Gerrard also sees this as a cause for concern.

Finally, cheeky January bid for this Alvarez guy or go after Carvalho at Fulham? 

Hickey would be class. I’m not sure about Goldson, but I would absolutely love us to take a punt on John Souttar from Hearts. Out of contract in the summer and doesn’t look likely to sign any extension. I think he is a Rolls Royce of a defender with great ability to bring the ball out from defense. He was hampered by a lot of injuries early in his career, but at 25, if he overcomes those for good, I have no doubts he can play at the top. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Linked with Ryan Kent already today with some media outlets. No issue with him but with Bailey and El Ghazi on the books already, someone would have to go I suppose if we were interested?

There’s going to be a lot of lazy links for the next six weeks or so.

With his reputation on the line I'd be surprised if he went back to Rangers for any players at all unless he REALLY rates them, I think he will most likely be aiming higher.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Summer 2020 and Summer 2021 I wouldn't have been hugely against switching Smith out for someone definitely better.

We've now done it between windows on someone who could go either way really. Helps Gerrard in a way that we were in such rotten form under Smith, but it doesn't smack of a definite success. I think the personalities we've acquired in the last four windows puts us in a strong position regarding staying up.

Interesting that in Germany Wolfsburg hired a similar serial winner in Mark Van Bommel and sacked him after 13 games. 

I wonder would the club panic if it goes the same way 

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, sne said:

A hard worker who is probably a slight improvement on Nakamba. Solid squad option but not someone who is likely to be good enough as a starter for a team pushing for top half PL positions.

I watched him for Finland in the summer and he looked o.k tbh. Decent physical presence and used the ball far better than Nakamba.

He's one I could see us bringing in from Rangers to help on short term basis especially if he dosen't have much left on contract.

21 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

With his reputation on the line I'd be surprised if he went back to Rangers for any players at all unless he REALLY rates them, I think he will most likely be aiming higher.

Yeah Kent wouldn't make much sense to me as we have endless wide options currently and can't work out the best system so adding another to the mix in January would be very strange.

El Ghazi probably vulnerable due to 18 months left and not playing much but even then you could just play Bunedia and Bailey either side and still have Traore in the mix so no need to sign anyone until the summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I watched him for Finland in the summer and he looked o.k tbh. Decent physical presence and used the ball far better than Nakamba.

He's one I could see us bringing in from Rangers to help on short term basis especially if he dosen't have much left on contract.

Yeah he's OK, squad option level player. With Nakamba off to the AFCON and maybe sold in the summer I could see us go for him.

But he's not someone who is good enough to be more than a rotation player if we want to push on. He also just signed a contract extension in September so price will have gone up since this summer.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah Kent wouldn't make much sense to me as we have endless wide options currently and can't work out the best system so adding another to the mix in January would be very strange.

El Ghazi probably vulnerable due to 18 months left and not playing much but even then you could just play Bunedia and Bailey either side and still have Traore in the mix so no need to sign anyone until the summer.

Agree and I think JPB is an adequate 4th choice if AEG does move on.

We have no idea what's been said behind closed doors, for all we know Purslow, Lange Gerrard and his team have been developing an action plan for months and it could be that that plan is a considerable step up from from our operational plans to date. We've had a taste for how difficult a nut the top6 is to crack, for all we know, future targets might/should be in the 40/60 million bracket. Quite how we make that work within guidelines is a mystery that we hopefully know how to beat.

Edited by Phil Silvers

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

We have no idea what's been said behind closed doors, for all we know Purslow, Lange Gerrard and his team have been developing an action plan for months and it could be that that plan is a considerable step up from from our operational plans to date. We've had a taste for how difficult a nut the top6 is to crack, for all we know, future targets might/should be in the 40/60 million bracket. Quite how we make that work within guidelines is a mystery that we know how to beat.

Good point. Given we made mention in press release of Gerrard promoting young players and us wanting to do that I think likes of Carney and JPB will be getting a few starts in final games once we get past 40 points so signing someone like Kent would push him down the pecking order and that goes against club ethos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Playing for Finland against Bosnia now on Sky if anyone wants a look.

People talking about us having endless wide options fail to forget most of them, certainly the good ones, prefer to play on the right. 

Kent would be a signing for the left and I think he’s a very good player who Gerrard will know well. 

Edited by Delphinho123

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Summer 2020 and Summer 2021 I wouldn't have been hugely against switching Smith out for someone definitely better.

We've now done it between windows on someone who could go either way really. Helps Gerrard in a way that we were in such rotten form under Smith, but it doesn't smack of a definite success. I think the personalities we've acquired in the last four windows puts us in a strong position regarding staying up.

I think under Smith we were going for a relegation battle for sure. Under Gerrard it could go either way but the risk of relegation made it a decision. It’s not a case of luxury or even rushing things, it’s clear that Smith is/was suffering without Grealish since he came with us. Nothing to suggest that would change. I like him and wished to progress under him, but something wasn’t right.

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

We have no idea what's been said behind closed doors, for all we know Purslow, Lange Gerrard and his team have been developing an action plan for months and it could be that that plan is a considerable step up from from our operational plans to date. We've had a taste for how difficult a nut the top6 is to crack, for all we know, future targets might/should be in the 40/60 million bracket. Quite how we make that work within guidelines is a mystery that we hopefully know how to beat.

I don’t see why JPB isn’t having match time? Him, Chuck and Archer are definitely ready for even starting some games. The fear of giving them chances might be one of the reasons we lose some of them. It’s not that we have a world beaters who does what they don’t.

33 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t see why JPB isn’t having match time? Him, Chuck and Archer are definitely ready for even starting some games. The fear of giving them chances might be one of the reasons we lose some of them. It’s not that we have a world beaters who does what they don’t.

The board have spent the money though and want to see their investment play, shouldn't matter, I agree if they are good enough, play them.

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Completely agree. He knows the expectation at villa, the only way he goes back to rangers for players if he really thinks they are good enough. He's in a great place to judge that given he has experienced the standard in the prem and worked with the rangers players every day. I'll try his judgement until I'm given reason not to.