Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Old, injury prone. Tammy for a shade more money was on offer. It's just a bad bad bad signing In never thought the club would make. 

It's jolted me because I massively respected and admired how we've done our business. This makes no sense on any level and it feels like a panic signing. It's an Andy Carroll signing. We're going to piss away the Jack money 

There are no guarantees in football so predicting the future can only be opinions but I don’t agree with yours. I just don’t see it anywhere near as ‘bad bad bad’.

On a thread that’s mentioned Ings’ age being rounded to 30 and costing £30m, it appears he will cost up to £25m and was still 28 just a fortnight ago. Also, his injury record over the past couple of years is better than many too.

After he left Liverpool, I watched him I’ve thought ‘why haven’t we got a guaranteed goal scorer like Ings and Southampton have?’ Watkins was great last season but our striker squad depth and experience profile needed an Ings.

Again, there are no guarantees and I’m not one to post ‘I told you so’ if it works out, but if I’m to balance your prediction of this signing, I’d say good good good.

Just now, DCJonah said:

No chance he's on the bench. He will be one of the first names on the sheet. We will find a system to get Ings and Watkins in the team.

I seem to recall something like that happening when we signed Collymore, and tried to fit him AND Yorke AND Milosevic into the side. Didn't work. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'll be honest, I would have preferred Tammy, but I don't think you can write Ings off until you see what he can for us. He's a prolific scorer in the league. 

We need some heat maps 

I think ings is a different striker to Tammy, he's not a 9, he's not an out and out striker, he'll drop deep he'll drift wide, hopefully he'll read ollies game and fill the gaps when Ollie drifts wide

I'm sure in his last 2 appearances for example England played him wide right 

He's got more about him in terms of footballing ability than Tammy imo, we can do more with him and got him in better 

I seriously think he'll play AMC very high up and get goals from there 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

No chance he's on the bench. He will be one of the first names on the sheet. We will find a system to get Ings and Watkins in the team.

I’m not so sure about this. I think Watkins will find himself on the bench a bit this season and that’s absolutely fine. In order to improve, ultimately we’ll have to replace every player in the XI so we can’t get too attached. 

I can’t see a side where both will play unless Watkins plays out on the left. I think he’ll do a job out there but it’s a downgrade on Grealish in that position..

Either way. It’s options. As long as I don’t have to watch Traore and El Ghazi, I’ll be happy. 

Club have pulled an absolute blinder here. Rather than being worried about the future without Jack, I'm excited for what a more complete squad can achieve this season.

Don't reckon we're done yet, think there will be at least one more signing which makes us all sit up and pay attention (based on nothing but a hunch, I don't have Tom Hanks as my avatar)

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I’m not so sure about this. I think Watkins will find himself on the bench a bit this season and that’s absolutely fine. In order to improve, ultimately we’ll have to replace every player in the XI so we can’t get too attached. 

I can’t see a side where both will play unless Watkins plays out on the left. I think he’ll do a job out there but it’s a downgrade on Grealish in that position..

Either way. It’s options. As long as I don’t have to watch Traore and El Ghazi, I’ll be happy. 

Watkins is good enough for where we are right now. He provides a hell of a lot to the team (and so will Ings).

10 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

You think so? I my view Tammy is more all round, he is both a poacher, someone who runs behind the defence, can link up play and be a target player, he is good in the air because he is so tall and very good to have at defending corners. As Jack said before he is really good with the ball at his feet and very difficult to take the ball from. 

Ings I'd say mostly has the poacher, running behind the defence attributes of all that, hence why I see him less all round. Dont get me wrong, he may still be the better player and in the right set up probably more valuable and will score more goals. But i see him more as someone who plays in a two man attack or with a no 10 behind him, not as much a lone striker in a 4-3-3 for example.

Given Ings is probably cheaper and we perhaps need an old head and that he probably will get us more goals this season I fully understand the reasoning and am happy with him.

Tammy is 100% more of a poacher than Ings. Don’t think he’s ever scored a goal more than 8 yards out. Ings scores all sorts of goals, he’s great in the air, good with both feet, presses well, can play as a 10 if needed. He pretty much ticks every box. Tammy isn’t a bad player but Ings has a better footballing brain and is a better all round player imo. Tammy also moans a lot when things don’t go his way, loves to throw his hands in the air, if someone doesn’t pass to him.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Reading a bit of the Southampton forum, feel for them , they are basically us from this morning dejected and feel like the walls are coming in

Lives in Hampshire for a lot of years, Saints season ticket holder who was my neighbour reckons for £35m we will get JWP, they have no money and he is surprised the manager hasn’t walked yet.  They don’t have cash to pay players wages according to him.

Just now, WHY said:

Tammy is 100% more of a poacher than Ings. Don’t think he’s ever scored a goal more than 8 yards out. Ings scores all sorts of goals, he’s great in the air, good with both feet, presses well, can play as a 10 if needed. He pretty much ticks every box. Tammy isn’t a bad player but Ings has a better footballing brain and is a better all round player imo. Tammy also moans a lot when things don’t go his way, loves to throw his hands in the air, if someone doesn’t pass to him.

I hope you are right, and it encourages me if so!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sid4ever said:

Lives in Hampshire for a lot of years, Saints season ticket holder who was my neighbour reckons for £35m we will get JWP, they have no money and he is surprised the manager hasn’t walked yet.  They don’t have cash to pay players wages according to him.

Be funny if we got JWP and Cantwell. We won’t have too many friends in Norwich and Southampton. 

Â