Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This would be a real statement signing but I just can't see it happening. 

Yeah I feel the same way really. It sounds like Arsenal want to keep him, and he's an Arsenal fan and i'm sure in contract negotiations he could get reassurances of playing time over the next few years. Though, without knowing the ins and outs of Arsenal, maybe they're not willing to commit to giving him game time, or maybe they aren't offering the the same type of money we would.

It does seem a very strange one, we must have some reason to believe he would be interested in joining to even bid in the first place. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

I do have to say that to go this aggressively after an attacking left winger does raise certain issues!

Why we probably are going to play 4-2-3-1 we only have 4 players for 3 positions due to trez's injury. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Martinez wanted to leave to play first team football. 

I'm not sure ESR is in the same situation.

This is true. At least, it should be true, but Arsenal are trying to sign Ødegaard for CAM &  a lot flying around about them trying to sign wingers too (Emi for a start but he plays on the right) but ESR might be looking at it and thinking he's going to slip down the pecking order and want some minutes.

Saka, Ødegaard, Aubameyang, Martinelli all play either CAM or LW for Arsenal. Pepe has played LW too with Saka RW previously. They sign another on top of that with Willian floating around getting a few opportunities at CAM or RW... I dunno, maybe.

ESR was an ever present for them towards end of the season so not sure it's an argument he may lose out. But perhaps when Ødegaard is an official player and Martinelli isn't injured, maybe his opportunities slip.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Why? Not because of Jack I hope.  We have LW and CAM that Jack can play and same with Smith-Rowe.  Probably the only two really doing that so one will play one role and one will play the other.  I expect Jack LW and Smith Rowe as CAM.

Yep, and it's easy to forget that we're yet to replace Barkley - or what we hoped Barkley would have been. It's logical that we'd be after ESR, or someone of his ilk.

• Like 1

I would say that we're chancing our arm here knowing Arsenal need the cash as they can't do deals unless the selling club are willing to do installments, so my guess is the offers we've made have been 100% cash upfront to test their nerve. And I am guessing we've bid having been given word from the agent and/or player that he'd be open to a move to Villa.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Why we probably are going to play 4-2-3-1 we only have 4 players for 3 positions due to trez's injury. 

Jack, AEG, Young, Ramsey, Buendia, Traore and an expected increase in chances for both Carney and Philogene-Bidace or they'll both be off. Then Trez is still on the books too despite his injury.

LW: Jack, AEG, Young

CAM: JJ, Carney

RW: Buendia, Traore, JPB (and Trez).

We need a CAM but we no longer need bodies on the wings. If we want to upgrade someone, fine but we'll need to sell AEG. (Nobody is buying Trez until Jan or next summer)

6 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I would say that we're chancing our arm here knowing Arsenal need the cash as they can't do deals unless the selling club are willing to do installments, so my guess is the offers we've made have been 100% cash upfront to test their nerve. And I am guessing we've bid having been given word from the agent and/or player that he'd be open to a move to Villa.

I think that most Arsenal fans think we have just launched a bid and neither the club or player are interested in the move. The truth is at least one if not both are interested and the other might well join the party if the figures look attractive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

I think that most Arsenal fans think we have just launched a bid and neither the club or player are interested in the move. The truth is at least one if not both are interested and the other might well join the party if the figures look attractive.

Exactly. This board are methodical in their planning, unlike the scattergun of the previous few ownerships.

17 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I’d agree. We’ve been on the other side of this plenty of times. This isn’t just the usual click bait rubbish, there’s been nothing official but it appears that we’ve put in two bids now. 

When clubs are weak other clubs know it and they start to circle. We’re attempting to wear Arsenal down and turn the kid’s head. We’ve been hunted and our players taken for years, now we’re the hunter. 

• Like 2

Wonder how much the newly tabled bid is for ESR - That’ll indicate how serious we truly are. If we’ve gone back with a bid  £30 mill then that will obviously be rejected - think he will cost thick end of £40 million which I’ll be ok with as he is a top prospect and would make to football world take notice. 

Just imagine how sickening it must be to be an Arsenal fan right now. Now imagine the crap we've been through. They don't know they're born.

Also, the fact the Smith-Rowe is even a discussion is a testament to how far we've come in so short a time. 

7 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Conspiracy theory: Villa know they won't be able to prize ESR away from Arsenal but are doing his agent a favour by bidding and raising his value during contract negotiations in return for said agent not kicking up a fuss about Grealish staying.

Or if Smith-Rowe does move to Villa both player and agent get extra cash, signing on fees and higher wages for the player. It's a win-win either scenario!

15 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Wonder how much the newly tabled bid is for ESR - That’ll indicate how serious we truly are. If we’ve gone back with a bid  £30 mill then that will obviously be rejected - think he will cost thick end of £40 million which I’ll be ok with as he is a top prospect and would make to football world take notice. 

Carry On Mood GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I thought we 'tabled' a bid :ph34r:

We did, but it was rejected, so now we launch a bid. If they fend that off then there’ll be no other choice but to smash a bid in off the Emirates sign and straight through the window. 

• Haha 1

It feels like what probably happened was:

1) The player wanted a better contract with more money and more guaranteed starts and felt like things weren't moving quickly enough, so his agent went out drummed up a bit of interest from us to try and force Arsenal into handing his client the contact he wants.

or

2) We were in advanced talks with Buendia when Arsenal came in throwing their weight around and trying to turn the players head. The offer for Smith Rowe is our way of getting revenge, we may even know the agent and have been happy to be used to generate heat/demand.

If there is a chance the player was very unhappy and did genuinely want out, the chances of Arsenal selling him to us is 1000/1 

21 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We’ve either bid genuinely and in good faith, or we haven’t. There’s no game playing. We’re a serious football club ran by serious men. 

Well if we've bid and that bid was thoroughly rebuffed/laughed off then that faith was misplaced.

Also I would think we are 'probably run by serious men' but I'd have no evidence to prove the owners don't enjoy a Fawlty Tower's Box set occasionally.

Edited by VillanousOne