Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Two years left but I think your last point nails it. Man sees a balance sheet not a club / team / fan base. 

Also the fact that his contract has been "nearly signed" for about 2-3 months now suggests Arsenal aren't offering him what he wants, so they may cash in.

Still don't think it's likely, but it's not nearly as impossible as Arsenal fans are making out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I do have to say that to go this aggressively after an attacking left winger does raise certain issues!

Why? Not because of Jack I hope.  We have LW and CAM that Jack can play and same with Smith-Rowe.  Probably the only two really doing that so one will play one role and one will play the other.  I expect Jack LW and Smith Rowe as CAM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

He's an out and out CAM. Played there all season. Moved out to the left for a couple of CL games when they played Odegaard in the middle post-January.

I think you've got the wrong Arsenal mate.

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Also the fact that his contract has been "nearly signed" for about 2-3 months now suggests Arsenal aren't offering him what he wants, so they may cash in.

Still don't think it's likely, but it's not nearly as impossible as Arsenal fans are making out.

Yeah, this is what confuses me. I feel like you either want a player or you don't - and if there's another team sniffing around a player that you really want to keep, you pay them what they want. And if the player is asking too much, you give them your best offer and then let them go if they want to.

It feels like this is neither one nor the other. I'm not sure if that's a reflection on Arsenal messing ESR around or him being petty over a relatively small amount of extra money, but it feels like this sort of discussion should be concluded one way or the other much faster than this.

You don't make a bid for a player without sounding him out through his agent first. Fans will cry it's tapping up but that's how modern football works and goes on all the time. If we have bid, there will be at least some interest from the player there, which his lack of commitment in signing a new deal probably shows too.

Just now, Tez500 said:

You don't make a bid for a player without sounding him out through his agent first. Fans will cry it's tapping up but that's how modern football works and goes on all the time. If we have bid, there will be at least some interest from the player there, which his lack of commitment in signing a new deal probably shows too.

Tbh it looks as if his agent has played an awesome game!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Annoyman said:

Feel like the end point of this is him signing a new contract and a load of confused American Arsenal fans lording it over Villa as if it's a major victory

Meh, that's probably ok and you'd assume the club have other CAM targets.

We've been talking about how well prepared we are for this window for 6 months. It was in the papers in February we weren't going after Barkley.

We may now think we have a chance at ESR, but we certainly weren't planning this bid in December-February, this is absolutely one of those things where we think we have a shot at some value in the market and a player that has come up out of nowhere. I'd imagine if it runs it's course and he signs the contract we all assume he's going to sign - we'll turn back to our original list of targets.

I refuse to believe that we were looking at lifelong Arsenal fan ESR and his 5 appearances in January and thinking of a £30m bid in the summer. It's being driven by the agent for sure.

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Meh, that's probably ok and you'd assume the club have other CAM targets.

We've been talking about how well prepared we are for this window for 6 months. It was in the papers in February we weren't going after Barkley.

We may now think we have a chance at ESR, but we certainly weren't planning this bid in December-February, this is absolutely one of those things where we think we have a shot at some value in the market and a player that has come up out of nowhere. I'd imagine if it runs it's course and he signs the contract we all assume he's going to sign - we'll turn back to our original list of targets.

I refuse to believe that we were looking at lifelong Arsenal fan ESR and his 5 appearances in January and thinking of a £30m bid in the summer. It's being driven by the agent for sure.

No, Percy has confirmed we actually bid and it was rejected by Arsenal.  There is a genuine interest from us and I think we're actually trying to go after the next Jack.  Imagine if Levy didn't fook about with trying to sign Jack when Xia was looking to sell and actually coughed up the extra 5-10 million we supposedly wanted for him at that time?  He would be seen as a bargain and Spuds may well be selling him at a 70 million pound profit this window instead of Kane.  

13 minutes ago, KMitch said:

No, Percy has confirmed we actually bid and it was rejected by Arsenal.  There is a genuine interest from us and I think we're actually trying to go after the next Jack.  Imagine if Levy didn't fook about with trying to sign Jack when Xia was looking to sell and actually coughed up the extra 5-10 million we supposedly wanted for him at that time?  He would be seen as a bargain and Spuds may well be selling him at a 70 million pound profit this window instead of Kane.  

Oh no you've misunderstood me. I believe the bid is real, I meant it's one where the agent has gotten in touch for us to look into it.

I was saying that we definitely wouldn't have been looking at him as our Barkley replacement back in Jan when we decided not to go for him permanently and when we were planning this window. It smells like one we've been made aware of - one of the 'potential value in the market's signings we keep talking about when talking about Sanson.

I believe the bid is real, I'm not sure I believe that he was a major part of our planning. (Unless we were tracking him in the youth teams and wanted him, then he broke through and we've made good on that plan, but that doesn't really line up with a £25m/£30m bid.)

Edited by HalfTimePost

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

He does remember that we had their pants down over Martinez and beat them to Buendia doesn’t he? 

Or has his short term memory failed whilst he’s been busy at home sewing Wenger out on to his Henry shirt?

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Oh no you've misunderstood me. I believe the bid is real, I meant it's one where the agent has gotten in touch for us to look into it.

I was saying that we definitely wouldn't have been looking at him as our Barkley replacement back in Jan when we decided not to go for him permanently and when we were planning this window. It smells like one we've been made aware of - one of the 'potentoal value in the market's signings we keep talking about when talking about Sanson.

I believe the bid is real, I'm not sure I believe that he was a major part of our planning. (Unless week we're tracking him in the youth teams and wanted him, then he broke through, but that doesn't really line up with a £25m/£30m bid.)

With our new youth set up and scouting team, I believe he is/was high on our shortlist.  We've quietly been buying a lot of "the next generation" of youth players for our U18/U23 teams and have spent some fairly big money on players for this age already, and ESR may have been someone we were looking at before he broke into the Arsenal first team.  What we saw from his 1st team performances last season may have been enough to justify a much bigger bid to get him, as opposed to someone who just looks good at the U23 level.  The fact he hasn't penned this "new deal" Arsenal fans have been reporting he's only "days away" from signing yet shows we're still very much in the conversation.  

I would love to steal him from them for 30-35 million with 10-15 million in add ons.  Arsenal is in turmoil right now and we must smell blood in the water.  

26 minutes ago, av1 said:

He does remember that we had their pants down over Martinez and beat them to Buendia doesn’t he? 

Or has his short term memory failed whilst he’s been busy at home sewing Wenger out on to his Henry shirt?

Tbf he’s normally bang on the money that Eddie Longbridge

Spoiler

• Haha 2

Its not the fee that matters its the wages and Arsenal were obviously  trying to short change him. They can't now, they have to match our wage offer, let him see his contract out and get nothing or sell. Either way we are winner as we have made a rival spend more money or we get the player. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why not? I’m sure a lot of people said the same about Martinez 

Martinez wanted to leave to play first team football. 

I'm not sure ESR is in the same situation.