Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Kai Jorge contract expires in December. Being linked with all the big teams but could sell home the dream of joining the founding fathers of modern football… 

Gone a bit quiet on him, not made the Olympics team, looks like the Italian teams are fighting it out over him but I'd have thought he would have moved by now 

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I actually rated Gollini, you could see he was going to go on and be a top keeper.

He was much better than Johnstone in that season... 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 7392craig said:

I agree, however he hardly covered himself in glory during his time here.

We signed him in a bid to bounce back into the prem at the first attempt. Expecting a 21 year old GK to hit the ground running in a foreign country was always a massive ask.

Error prone though he was - I always sensed he could have a very high ceiling.

We should have purchased him as one for the future - not the finished article.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

not sure why we are debating Gollini, he's no longer our player and we aren't resigning him. Shows how few links there are when this what we are discussing

Relevant when people are writing off other 21-year-olds we are linked to as not being good enough I suppose, rather than thinking about their future potential, but agreed we wouldn’t be talking about it if we had a nice juicy rumour to be excited about!

I was thinking of a scenario where we sign Berge on a seasons loan to plug a gap for a season like Barkley did.

He’s not gunna wanna stay at Sheff Utd, we don’t want to pay the fee they want. We pay them a loan fee and wages. Berge gets to stay in the Prem and showcase his talents … If Sheff Utd get promoted he goes back and then reassess. Win win win…

From Smith’s (latter) comments regarding Berkeley it sounded like it was a tactical decision to bring in just for a year so obviously it was a calculated decision. Signing say Berge or X? Just for a season could be astute tactical ploy again to play.  Next summer, we will hopefully be shopping @ Harrods and F&M rather than M&S and ÜBER EATS 

Edited by thabucks

16 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The long term weakness of the team has been controlling the centre of the pitch. Without that you can’t control the game. As @TRO mentioned above that was exactly what happened in the Euros final. 

No matter how good your defence is, against a good team if you concede the centre of the pitch, they will create lots of chances and eventually are likely to score. The same with strikers, they will only score if you get them the ball consistently in dangerous areas, no matter how good they are. Central midfield is vital, always has been, always will be. That’s the position we need to strengthen. 

yep.

Agreed. In order to really push on, we need a new defensive midfielder and ideally a new no. 10 if Grealish stays on the left. 

If we get those two players, and we get it right, we’ll have a superb side and I see no reason as to why we can’t finish ahead of Spurs, Everton, West Ham and Arsenal. These are the teams we need to be targeting next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed. In order to really push on, we need a new defensive midfielder and ideally a new no. 10 if Grealish stays on the left. 

If we get those two players, and we get it right, we’ll have a superb side and I see no reason as to why we can’t finish ahead of Spurs, Everton, West Ham and Arsenal. These are the teams we need to be targeting next year. 

i think we'll get 1 this summer and 1 next summer rather than both of them now

midfield going in to this season of luiz, mcginn, sanson, nakamba, chuk and ramsey, maybe ramsey x 2 by the end of it

hopefully smith has the confidence to use nakamba more, especially with the summer luiz is having

if we could get Kamara and Alvarez for less than £30m id buzz my tits off, i think out of all the rumours to everyone else Kamara to Newcastle for £15m would be the one that pisses me off

20 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Some people hated Gueye "because doesn't score goals or assists". I'm sure someone has dredged up comments on here about him from years ago

I loved him. He'd have thrived in this team.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

not sure why we are debating Gollini, he's no longer our player and we aren't resigning him. Shows how few links there are when this what we are discussing

You've answered your own question there mate.

10 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Hopefully we have a sell clause!

Edited by Philosopher

13 hours ago, skarroki said:

Pretty sure Gollini said he only wanted to work with Italian goalkeeping coaches, which was the case under Di Matteo when he signed. When Bruce brought his guy in, Gollini kicked up a fuss and said he wanted to move back to Italy. 

Lot of examples of us giving up players we shouldn't have but I don't think Gollini is one. The guy may have changed his outlook now if he's willing to work with a Portuguese keeper coach.

To be fair to him, Italians seem to be fairly decent at producing good goalkeepers. Maybe he was afraid of ending up like Joe Hart, Rob Green, David James or ....

To me, he always looked like a keeper that was going be very good. He just struggled with adapting a bit like De Gea did when he came over as a youngster. He would have been a perfect signing at the end of last season after his few seasons at Atalanta. However, I won't argue with the one that we ended up with.

Things also might have been different had Cutler been on the staff when he was here. He might have convinced him that there are decent GK coaches in England.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

To be fair to him, Italians seem to be fairly decent at producing good goalkeepers. Maybe he was afraid of ending up like Joe Hart, Rob Green, David James or ....

To me, he always looked like a keeper that was going be very good. He just struggled with adapting a bit like De Gea did when he came over as a youngster. He would have been a perfect signing at the end of last season after his few seasons at Atalanta. However, I won't argue with the one that we ended up with.

Things also might have been different had Cutler been on the staff when he was here. He might have convinced him that there are decent GK coaches in England.

Not premier league goalkeepers mind you. Cudicini the only half decent one I can think of.

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Ozan Kabak to Leicester for £8m allegedly. Another bit of good business from them potentially in a position we could do with 

I don't know how they do it, almost every player they sign looks like exceptional value, they must be very advanced at negotiating. I wonder how many have huge sell on fees though.