Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, Pez1974 said:

I think you are right - it's not what I would do, but I'm a shit accountant, not a quality PL manager!
I just feel that our current CMs get dominated too easily, and that a quality DCM would help the defence and not rely on miracles in too many games. 

Re: the CB situation - I think it comes down to what the club thinks the U23's potential is. Do we go for one-year of Gary Cahill (for example), so that we can send the U23s out on loan, or are we looking for someone to challenge Mings and Konsa this season, which could block  the youngsters progress in the future.
This is what MON did when we decided that the more experienced Zat Knight was a better bet than the raw ability of Cahill. 

I completely agree with the concern on the midfielders getting dominated, but I think the management are looking to aleviate that pressure by having a ball carrier in front of them, rather than a pragmatic player behind them. There's pro's and cons to both and I like a balanced 433, but I think Deano might prefer the creativity of a 4231. Ideally it'd be nice to have a solid option for both systems.

With the centre back I haven't really heard of any youth prospects the club are raving about, but who knows how the younger players are developing. If they believe in a Revan, Bridge etc then someone like Cahill would be ideal to be honest. I just fear that none of them are ready to step up, and we may have to splash out a bit here on some more adequate cover as opposed to a stop gap.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

This is what MON did when we decided that the more experienced Zat Knight was a better bet than the raw ability of Cahill. 

His biggest mistake in the transfer market , that or Marlon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tinker said:

His biggest mistake in the transfer market , that or Marlon.

Marlon at least gave us something in the games he played, selling Cahill was a disaster. And one everyone could see at the time but it still happened.

• Like 1

Just now, RichiBoi11 said:

Marlon at least gave us something in the games he played, selling Cahill was a disaster. And one everyone could see at the time but it still happened.

Yea your right , just to painful to think about. Writing was on the wall after he scored the overhead kick against blues , a cb, overhead kick......The mind boggles, what was going through O'Neils head?

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Yea your right , just to painful to think about. Writing was on the wall after he scored the overhead kick against blues , a cb, overhead kick......The mind boggles, what was going through O'Neils head?

It was an awful decision. People talk about the overhyped kids that came through our academy and didn't go on to do much, he was almost the total opposite. Not many people raved about him prior to his debut, but it was clear once he got in he was going to the top. We didn't even have the foresight to develop him and sell him to one of the bigger clubs that kept cherry picking at that time, instead we sold him to Bolton for a bargain basement fee. No disrespect to Bolton, but that whole thing was just bizarre.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tinker said:

Don't forget the celebration - he knew what it meant. He might not have grown up a Villan, but the club was in his veins.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Yep,  the other major flaw was buying Heskey, not Bent or Falcao that window. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Yep,  the other major flaw was buying Heskey, not Bent or Falcao that window. 

Imagine where we could have ended up if we did sign Bent then rather than when we did.

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

There’s so many to chose from. A charlatan and a clown. He blew our chances of getting into the top four three times on the bounce. A small minded, self obsessed, Brian Clough wannabe who couldn’t lace Clough’s drinks. A pathetic excuse for a man. I’ve got more time for the likes of Alex MacLeish and Paul Lambert. 

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

1 minute ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Imagine where we could have ended up if we did sign Bent then rather than when we did.

Cavani and Falcao's agents were pimping them both and we decided to go for heskey because he's a great guy who brings others into the game.

It didn't matter that he missed easy chances because he's a great guy and he brings others into play.

I always thought heskey could do a job at CB. 

Anyway I'd love a good DM that controls the play keeps the ball moving forward too. Thuram's son is my favourite for that role.

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

There’s so many to chose from. A charlatan and a clown. He blew our chances of getting into the top four three times on the bounce. A small minded, self obsessed, Brian Clough wannabe who couldn’t lace Clough’s drinks. A pathetic excuse for a man. I’ve got more time for the likes of Alex MacLeish and Paul Lambert. 

Go big or go home, Dave. 🤜🤛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

This clamouring for a specific CAM is a little old fashioned. Liverscum won the league with a 6 and two 8's. Deano only last season played with a '10' normally it's a 6 n two 8's.

Our 10's will be Jack and Buendia from the flanks. 

Michael Conor Mic Drop GIF by In Real Life

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think you're being too kind. The reverence some people still have for him sickens me

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

How to Make a GIF on Facebook

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Re: the CB situation - I think it comes down to what the club thinks the U23's potential is. Do we go for one-year of Gary Cahill (for example), so that we can send the U23s out on loan, or are we looking for someone to challenge Mings and Konsa this season, which could block  the youngsters progress in the future.

50 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

With the centre back I haven't really heard of any youth prospects the club are raving about, but who knows how the younger players are developing. If they believe in a Revan, Bridge etc then someone like Cahill would be ideal to be honest. I just fear that none of them are ready to step up, and we may have to splash out a bit here on some more adequate cover as opposed to a stop gap.

I would say there's no immediate prospect of using a defender from the youth team. Bridge is just coming back from a bad injury and hasn't been on loan or played much first team football (just the FA Cup 3rd round, plus some Johnstone's Paint Trophy or whatever it's called these days games, if you count those), Revan played well on loan for Weymouth but that was in the National League so surely we'd want him to go on loan to League One or Two, and Bogarde and Swinkels are both talented but too young to be anything you count on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would say there's no immediate prospect of using a defender from the youth team. Bridge is just coming back from a bad injury and hasn't been on loan or played much first team football (just the FA Cup 3rd round, plus some Johnstone's Paint Trophy or whatever it's called these days games, if you count those), Revan played well on loan for Weymouth but that was in the National League so surely we'd want him to go on loan to League One or Two, and Bogarde and Swinkels are both talented but too young to be anything you count on. 

That's why I think we have such a tough task ahead finding the right player for this. He needs to be young enough to improve, but inexperienced enough to not expect to start every week, whislt still having the ability to replace Konsa when required. Ideally you would also want him to speak the language or have previous experience in the Premier League, and we don't want him to cost a fortune as the majority of funds are probably still required for one or two midfielders.

Good luck Johan.

• Like 2