Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I don't know how they do it, almost every player they sign looks like exceptional value, they must be very advanced at negotiating. I wonder how many have huge sell on fees though.

Just quick off the mark and must have a good understanding of a lot of players and their value. I think Kabak had a £/€9m release clause so the value in this one is a little easier to understand but still surprised they've snapped him up with relatively low competition. 

I'd understand if he had spent last season on loan there but he was at Liverpool. Just feels like they've had a stronger conviction to go and close the deal quickly and early. 

Suppose similar could be said about us and Buendia but would've liked to see us compete for Kabak

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Just quick off the mark and must have a good understanding of a lot of players and their value. I think Kabak had a £/€9m release clause so the value in this one is a little easier to understand but still surprised they've snapped him up with relatively low competition. 

I'd understand if he had spent last season on loan there but he was at Liverpool. Just feels like they've had a stronger conviction to go and close the deal quickly and early. 

Suppose similar could be said about us and Buendia but would've liked to see us compete for Kabak

We have to have something else in the pipeline.

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed. In order to really push on, we need a new defensive midfielder and ideally a new no. 10 if Grealish stays on the left. 

If we get those two players, and we get it right, we’ll have a superb side and I see no reason as to why we can’t finish ahead of Spurs, Everton, West Ham and Arsenal. These are the teams we need to be targeting next year. 

Although I agree, I think the far greater need is for a proper DCM, meaning we may have to be more pragmatic around other options. 

We have options around the #10 role - Jack, Buendia, McGinn, Chuk. Maybe Luiz too.
Getting both a ACM and DCM might break the bank, and I also wonder if we need a CB given Engels has moved on, so I would rather get the 1 player spot on than stretch a budget between the 2.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Although I agree, I think the far greater need is for a proper DCM, meaning we may have to be more pragmatic around other options. 

We have options around the #10 role - Jack, Buendia, McGinn, Chuk. Maybe Luiz too.
Getting both a ACM and DCM might break the bank, and I also wonder if we need a CB given Engels has moved on, so I would rather get the 1 player spot on than stretch a budget between the 2.

I agree the budget probably wouldn't stretch to a DCM and an ACM, but unlike what you've mentioned here, I don't see Smith going for the DCM option. He seems happy with his options in the deeper role, a fair few journos have said he isn't looking at anyone there unless a player leaves, so despite the options I think ACM is where the chunk of money will go. You're right in mentioning we have options there, but I think he really wants someone to replace what he hoped Barkley would be, a ball carrying, threatening 10. Chuk can be that player, but he won't put that much pressure on a 17 year old initially, and he likes McGinn deeper in his system, so I think he'll want to spend big here, so he has the option to use Jack and Emi out wide, or as 10's in a more fluid attack.

We definitelhy need another centre back as well, and I'm amazed there hasn't been more links yet, although it's not easy to find someone with potential who would improve the squad whilst realistically agreeing to be a back up due to Konsa and Mings.

• Like 1

This clamouring for a specific CAM is a little old fashioned. Liverscum won the league with a 6 and two 8's. Deano only last season played with a '10' normally it's a 6 n two 8's.

Our 10's will be Jack and Buendia from the flanks. 

• Like 2

Interesting read in terms of possible targets … https://7500toholte.sbnation.com/2021/7/20/22582524/aston-villa-transfer-targets-number-10

Alternative Transfer Targets: The search for a number 10

7500 to Holte takes up the role of Aston Villa’s data scout to highlight players who could fill the number 10 position for Aston Villa.

Interesting to read that Breel Embolo has comparable stats to Watkins, but falls at the crucial goals return stat. Johnathan David would be the forward I’d buy… 

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

This clamouring for a specific CAM is a little old fashioned. Liverscum won the league with a 6 and two 8's. Deano only last season played with a '10' normally it's a 6 n two 8's.

I think the clamouring comes more from the fact that as well as us playing with a 10 for most of last season, we seem to be being continually linked with either 10's, or wide players that would mean Grealish or Emi can play as a 10. We had two bids rejected for ESR, so irrespective of what any of us think is the best way forward, the management clearly want someone in that role, as the bids were made after Buendia joined.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I think the clamouring comes more from the fact that as well as us playing with a 10 for most of last season, we seem to be being continually linked with either 10's, or wide players that would mean Grealish or Emi can play as a 10. We had two bids rejected for ESR, so irrespective of what any of us think is the best way forward, the management clearly want someone in that role, as the bids were made after Buendia joined.

Fair enough.

54 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I'd say Leicester have usurped Tottenham and Arsenal to become the 5th best team on the league. They're a bigger draw than us. They have also been been building up their scouting network and knowledge at this level longer than us.

One of the reasons why we have been as successful with scouting the championship, and the number of championship players we have sign is down to the time we spent in that league and scouting for players at that level.

Give us 2 or 3 more seasons and we'll be up there.

35 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

With Dougie's technical ability and shot, be interesting to see how he would do without his defensive responsibilities - good to have options!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Fair enough.

That is, unless you buy into the narrative ESR as a Grealish replacement...

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Yep, I can see us lining up with a 433 this season. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

That's what I think makes most sense considering the players we already have at the club. This might change of course if we bring in quality or lose someone.

Hope we go 4-3-3.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I agree the budget probably wouldn't stretch to a DCM and an ACM, but unlike what you've mentioned here, I don't see Smith going for the DCM option. He seems happy with his options in the deeper role, a fair few journos have said he isn't looking at anyone there unless a player leaves, so despite the options I think ACM is where the chunk of money will go. You're right in mentioning we have options there, but I think he really wants someone to replace what he hoped Barkley would be, a ball carrying, threatening 10. Chuk can be that player, but he won't put that much pressure on a 17 year old initially, and he likes McGinn deeper in his system, so I think he'll want to spend big here, so he has the option to use Jack and Emi out wide, or as 10's in a more fluid attack.

We definitelhy need another centre back as well, and I'm amazed there hasn't been more links yet, although it's not easy to find someone with potential who would improve the squad whilst realistically agreeing to be a back up due to Konsa and Mings.

I think you are right - it's not what I would do, but I'm a shit accountant, not a quality PL manager!
I just feel that our current CMs get dominated too easily, and that a quality DCM would help the defence and not rely on miracles in too many games. 

Re: the CB situation - I think it comes down to what the club thinks the U23's potential is. Do we go for one-year of Gary Cahill (for example), so that we can send the U23s out on loan, or are we looking for someone to challenge Mings and Konsa this season, which could block  the youngsters progress in the future.
This is what MON did when we decided that the more experienced Zat Knight was a better bet than the raw ability of Cahill. 

• Like 1