Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

it's still a fair chunk. it's a bertrand traore, ezri konsa or matty cash. i'd be expecting a first team player for that sort of money

But in fairness they've all been very successful and if a club were to come in for any of those players, we'd want at least double for each of them. And as somebody has already said, Konsa wasn't a first choice CB when we bought him.

The quietness of the transfer window at the moment for us is making me think that perhaps something big is being worked on behind the scenes, I know that people say we always keep our dealings quiet but I think that's a bit of a myth, most of our signings we know well in advance that they're going to happen, or that the club is trying to make them happen, the ones that come out of the blue are the exception to the rule.

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah Gollini was poor for us and it wasn't the right environment either. 

Doesn't matter now, we've got Emi

Gollini was like 19 Years old when we had him. There are lessons here that I hope we (as a fanbase) learn from for Onodi and Sinisalo.

Although to be fair they seem to be managed better in that they aren't being thrown in the deepend (Onodi apart for 90mins v Liverpool, but special circumstances)

• Like 1

Pretty sure Gollini said he only wanted to work with Italian goalkeeping coaches, which was the case under Di Matteo when he signed. When Bruce brought his guy in, Gollini kicked up a fuss and said he wanted to move back to Italy. 

Lot of examples of us giving up players we shouldn't have but I don't think Gollini is one. The guy may have changed his outlook now if he's willing to work with a Portuguese keeper coach.

After moving to Atalanta on loan, Gollini spoke out about his struggles at Aston Villa, He said: “The condition I had set my agent for me to stay in Birmingham was to have an Italian goalkeeping coach.

"That was the situation, with Massimo Battara, until the manager Roberto Di Matteo was fired. I played a great deal at Villa, but I wasn’t happy with the training regime.”

Edited by skarroki
Added quote
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Xela said:

I actually rated Gollini, you could see he was going to go on and be a top keeper.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Xela said:

Thought gollini was fine. He demanded to be sold because he only joined because he was promised an Italian goal keeping coach but when Bruce came in he brought in someone he knew from Manchester. Which meant gollini asked to be sold and Bruce's guy wanted Johnstone. 

Edited by MotoMkali

19 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Pretty sure Gollini said he only wanted to work with Italian goalkeeping coaches, which was the case under Di Matteo when he signed. When Bruce brought his guy in, Gollini kicked up a fuss and said he wanted to move back to Italy. 

Lot of examples of us giving up players we shouldn't have but I don't think Gollini is one. The guy may have changed his outlook now if he's willing to work with a Portuguese keeper coach.

That's exactly right. He refused to work with a non Italian coach and forced his move. He was OK for us, especially for a young keeper, but he gave up on us, not the other way around 

Just had a look in the Gollini thread and despite his errors there's a lot of posters predicting that he will go on to be a good player

Also it's now been over five years since he signed for us, so even if you didn't rate him back then you have to allow for the fact that he's had plenty of time to improve and will be a different player now, and by different player I mean the same player but improved.

1 hour ago, useless said:

The quietness of the transfer window at the moment for us is making me think that perhaps something big is being worked on behind the scenes, I know that people say we always keep our dealings quiet but I think that's a bit of a myth, most of our signings we know well in advance that they're going to happen, or that the club is trying to make them happen, the ones that come out of the blue are the exception to the rule.

Transfer window is quiet for all teams. Most of our signings have been out of the blue from memory. Wesley was, Barkley loan deal. Buendia the only one linked by several before done that springs to mind

Wesley and Barkley are just two examples and it isn't even correct to say they were out of the blue especially Barkley he was being talked about on here as a potential signing weeks before he actually signed, Wesley club announced him because it was leaked that he would be signing early, but the signing wasn't officially confirmed until a month or so later.

Ross Barkley's thread was started on September 24th and he signed on September 30th, that's not a signing out of the blue, and it doesn't take into account that before he had his own thread people will have been talking about him in the summer transfer thread. It's the same with most of our signings, despite this perception that they come out of the blue, most of them we know about or know of our interest days or weeks in advance.

Targett was one that I rememer seemed to come from nowhere, he was linked on the weekend and then signed early in the week, and Ashley Young this summer as well.

Not a criticism of the club, I think it's the same for everyone, hard to keep these deals quiet these days with so many involved.

• Like 1

Barkley was leaked by someone on r/avfc before anyone else even mentioned him to us.  He said it's the only piece of solid ITK info he's ever gotten before and probably ever will.  

Lewis Bate apparently turned down Liverpool, doesn't want to go to a top academy but rather somewhere where there's an easier route to the first team, so Leeds would probably make sense. Myles Peart-Harris apparently going to Brentford, they also signed Daniel Oyegoke from Arsenal who I think wanted to keep him but again perhaps Brentford offering him a clearer pathway to the first team.

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

We give up on players too quickly, issue #3683628

Let’s hope the fat controller had the foresight to include a sell on clause - though he probs outsourced that as well 

I like what our academy recruitment team are doing at the moment but it would be nice to also get some of the overseas young talent in as well, the next Pedri or the next Brazilian wonder kid, like the guy Man City have just signed. 

Next steps I guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichiBoi11 said:

That's exactly right. He refused to work with a non Italian coach and forced his move. He was OK for us, especially for a young keeper, but he gave up on us, not the other way around 

He probably didn't speak English and we had no other Italians in the squad of course he wanted someone he could speak with. We gave up on him by deciding he wasn't worth doing something we agreed with him that we would do. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He probably didn't speak English and we had no other Italians in the squad of course he wanted someone he could speak with. We gave up on him by deciding he wasn't worth doing something we agreed with him that we would do. 

He was also at United prior to us so he definitely spoke some English to be fair. Still it was his decision but I always thought he was ok