Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

37 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Waste of a squad number these fillers competition for places we need, if Bertrand spends the entire season on the bench because Target plays every minute again we might as well keep Taylor, I’d rather direct competition or a young understudy 

Surely Bertrand is miles better cover than Taylor?

34 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Waste of a squad number these fillers competition for places we need, if Bertrand spends the entire season on the bench because Target plays every minute again we might as well keep Taylor, I’d rather direct competition or a young understudy 

If Targett gets injured though we'll have to send out a youngster with no experience in professional football. If they sink instead of swim we either try another youngster or have to play a back up player instead out of position, like Hause.

Targett was backup to Bertrand 2 years ago, the lad has played over 250 games in the Prem and was a regular this season. I'm honestly surprised he's not more highly thought of, I can't think of a better option to cover the LB spot.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yes. Grealish is superb at LW and Zaha is a penis.

That's a rather extreme way of putting it. Instead, I'd probably say that he has decidedly penis-like attributes.

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Who do people want if Zaha is a bad option? Or are the people shutting this suggestion down happy to see Grealish playing LW next season?

He's not a bad option. Just very expensive and probably not worth that much. Also no resale value as he is 28 -29. In a season whether he thrives or not he will be worth less. In two seasons he will be worth half of what he is now and on the verge of declining.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No doubt but I’d rather somebody between 20-23 competing and improving for the position than “cover” on 60k per week,  signing 31 year olds on big contracts is what we used to do

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichiBoi11 said:

The irony is he didn't play the 6 role on Sunday, he played in front of Rice as more of an 8, an area where we are flooded with options.

I think that is more of a result of us winning the initiative, if we was on the back foot, he would have stayed in the double pivot, with Rice, most teams do that when they are in the ascendency.....and drift back when they are not.

players positions morph with the dynamics of the game......wingers playing full back and centre forwards playing midfield, when on the retreat.

you are not wrong, but it happens all the time in mid game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Phillips was being extremely aggressive and it didn't look like Croatia enjoyed playing against him. At all. 

We need  more of that at Villa. I am hoping Buendia will bring some of that nastiness. 

Smith wanted Philips when we got promoted and the club were ready to spend big for him. He decided to stay at Leeds.

• Like 1

IF we were to sign Tammy from Chelsea this summer he’d would want probs parity with Jack so say £120k PW. You then have Watkins on approx £70k PW - so he would expect parity and a pay rise  - Mings would then be looking to follow suit … then Konsa… Before you know it our wage bill is spiralling all for some misguided nostalgia about Tammy who isn’t worth it IMO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

No room for squad fillers, just a waste.

Surely by that logic Jed Steer should be out on his ear? But I think it'd be pretty crazy if we were breaking the bank trying to buy another keeper as good as Martinez right now. Arsenal tried having two good keepers at the same time but had to sell us Martinez because he didn't want to sit on the bench any more. Didn't they have to rush out and buy some god-awful Icelandic keeper to replace him who turned out to be a distaster?

There's nothing wrong in having experienced players come in who are good at their jobs but won't throw their toys out of the pram and look to move on if they're not picked every week. If there's a clearly better option on the table then that's fine and we should go for that instead (maybe Max Aarons if he was going to be cheap and was happy to sit on the bench), but if not then someone like Bertrand could be perfect for us imo. Allows us to spend our transfer kitty elsewhere without destroying our season if Targett breaks his leg.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Smith wanted Philips when we got promoted and the club were ready to spend big for him. He decided to stay at Leeds.

We definitely wanted Phillips when we went up, but I don't think he turned us down, rather Leeds priced him out of our budget.  They wanted north of 30 million for him and we were trying to put together a whole roster on a budget, so we went with Douglas Luiz for 15 million instead.  Regardless of what you think of his football ability or in comparison to Phillips, in terms of a purely business sense, we made a smart move and have at least doubled our money for Dougie, two years on at this point.  

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

We definitely wanted Phillips when we went up, but I don't think he turned us down, rather Leeds priced him out of our budget.  They wanted north of 30 million for him and we were trying to put together a whole roster on a budget, so we went with Douglas Luiz for 15 million instead.  Regardless of what you think of his football ability or in comparison to Phillips, in terms of a purely business sense, we made a smart move and have at least doubled our money for Dougie, two years on at this point.  

Yeh I think it was a Jack type situation where he was happy to stay if the club didn’t want to sell him. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Of course he is, it’s not even a debate. He would be great competition.

We however are trying to build a squad so you want better competition for Targett but you also need someone you can try and develop their value without big wages unless you are replacing Targett 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

What is it with these National managers not playing the players I like?

Oyarzabel today

Tbf Spain have a lot more creative talent than England. Although why you would play morata over Moreno I have no idea. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

I love the expression 'putting a bid together' - it's like it's a complex piece of flat pack furniture and we can't tell if we've got the instructions the right way up or not.

James Nursey peered from between stacks of timber as burly henchmen assembled stacks of money with forklifts.

"We need to hurry up Bones", said the hairy one. "Mr Sawiris wants this cash loaded on a truck to Chelsea tomorrah".

"I know that don't I, Wiggy. There all so we can get Tammy Abraham. Give us a hand with these Lady Godivas. There's thousands of em."

Nursery patted his faithful dog, 'Bullshit' on the head as he thought what to do next. "Let's go Bullshit. We need to write about this as soon as possible"...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Tbf Spain have a lot more creative talent than England. Although why you would play morata over Moreno I have no idea. 

Oyarzabel is Grealish level.

Holland did it yesterday as well no Koopmeiners, Gravenbach, Mallen got like 2 minutes on the pitch and Wjindal got like 25 mins.