Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

22 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think we'll try sign a striker and loan Wesley out so he can play regular football. I see we're linked to Chris Wood, he'd be a great option. Probably cost around 20 mil as he's 29. Proven in the Prem with double figure goals in the last 4 seasons, wouldn't expect to be No1 ala if we got Tammy

I'd love to do that.

Massive question marks over Wes for me.

Don't think Wood is likely though. Cost will be too high.

Problem with CF is that Ollie is a freak and fit enough to play every minute of every game. So in terms of back up you want a CF who can make an impact off the bench and also fill in if Ollie got injured for a series of games. A striker is an expensive position to fill so we either go for unproven foreign player who will get limited game time or we go with an older proven Prem striker who doesn't need game time to develop and is more content with coming off the bench and plying cup games. 

So in the specific position I think the Prem experience trumps the age

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Callum Wilson and Josh King were the two CFs we were trying to sign last summer (both same age as Wood). So it does make sense to me.

This has reminded me, with King now released from Everton, would he be worth bringing in on a free?

Wood, King, Wilson - a trifecta of the ordinary.

If we're as bullish as the talk of signing JWP and usurping Arsenal for Buendia, then I'd up the price tag and include Danny Ings.

Edited by ccfcman

1 minute ago, skarroki said:

This has reminded me, with King now released from Everton, would he be worth bringing in on a free?

No chance. Done nothing of note at Everton. We're past mid table premier league cast offs now. 

Just now, skarroki said:

I think we're after a different class of player this summer...  We're targeting players good enough to be starting in a team challenging for a Champions League place.

Wood would offer us a different dimension in games where we’re struggling to get up the pitch, he’s definitely stronger than Watkins in the hold up / aerial departments, I can’t see him coming here though to play a bit part at this stage of his career and after a good season, he’s perfect for Burnley and vice versa.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I'm almost with you, I think a top notch DCM, a back up LB and a quality alternative to Watkins. 

So worried about the striking area, really unknown at the moment what we have upfront and it's a massive risk especially seeing how it affected Wolves this season.

Obviously I pray that Watkins is completely injury free next season and somebody like Ben Mee doesnt wipe him out or that Watkins doesnt gets his first serious injury.  Also hope doesnt get a dip in form that happens to some when they first come to this level in the first couple of years.

Aside from that the optimist in me, wants strength in depth that we have quality alternatives in each position, that if our current style isnt working or we need to throw everything at the game from start or during the game we need two up front or we just need to start with something different that we had a choice of somebody else.  

Pessimist in me, if Ollie gets injured or form dips...we have a player I really like in Wes but we have no idea if he can come back, how effective he will be and Davis is out of favour and Barry will just likely gets slight look ins next season.  I see how much it affected Wolves losing their only real striker and relied on Silva and Jose, who are really the equivalents level wise (different styles) to our Wes and Keinan.   Wolves season was over before it really started.  Imagine spending all our money on Buendia and other quality, having Jack and then having nobody to finish regularly and I'm having none of the Wes, Davis and Traore argument.  I've heard it but if we are serious we cant risk it.

So optimist wants alternatives like the big teams, pessimist worried if Ollie is out what we will do...settle for second best!

That's the issue, Ollie is now the most important player in the team. If he got injured for 10-15 games or longer it would be like when we lost Jack last season. Wes isn't proven in Prem and has had such a serious injury. Also he does drop deep too much (as Deano pointed our Wes could play 2nd striker in the 10 role). Davis isn't up to standard and Barry will never be a CF even when he develops he's a wide forward. 

We got away with the gamble of no backup to Ollie last season we can't roll the dice again I feel. CDM and LB we can sign younger players who will develop I feel proven experience is needed in CF. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

I think we're after a different class of player this summer...  We're targeting players good enough to be starting in a team challenging for a Champions League place.

Not for back up though.  We are not going to get a player who would start in a CL team to come in and sit behind Ollie and I don't think we have the budget for one that will replace Ollis at this stage. 

We need to be really smart here.  This is certainly where Lange & Co will hopefully prove their worth and pull a rabbit out of the hat!🤞

1 minute ago, MellbergsBeard said:

The problem I’m having, one which we haven’t had for a very long time, is I actually like our players! And therefore find it hard to be impartial on who would make our starting 11 stronger.

what about Kayne West?

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Problem with CF is that Ollie is a freak and fit enough to play every minute of every game. So in terms of back up you want a CF who can make an impact off the bench and also fill in if Ollie got injured for a series of games. A striker is an expensive position to fill so we either go for unproven foreign player who will get limited game time or we go with an older proven Prem striker who doesn't need game time to develop and is more content with coming off the bench and plying cup games. 

So in the specific position I think the Prem experience trumps the age

I think it's why we might buck the young and upcoming trend here (and poss back up keeper). Someone like Giroud would be ideal - not expecting to start every game but good enough to keep Watkins working hard and with experience to pass on to the kids for 1-2 years. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

That's the issue, Ollie is now the most important player in the team. If he got injured for 10-15 games or longer it would be like when we lost Jack last season. Wes isn't proven in Prem and has had such a serious injury. Also he does drop deep too much (as Deano pointed our Wes could play 2nd striker in the 10 role). Davis isn't up to standard and Barry will never be a CF even when he develops he's a wide forward. 

We got away with the gamble of no backup to Ollie last season we can't roll the dice again I feel. CDM and LB we can sign younger players who will develop I feel proven experience is needed in CF. 

Completely agree...I keep hearing Ollie's injury record!  Great that doesnt mean something catn go wrong.  I keep hearing well at worst case Traore can play there!  If we are serious we need better than that.  I know there has been much discussion recently about Traore past CF record but if we are serious we need a quality alternative CF/Goalscorer in case Ollie is injured or as an alternative.  As you say Ollie is the most important player in the team because he's the only one we have, the other positions can be adequately covered 

37 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We need a top notch DCM, a back up LB and a back up striker. If we get those three we are in great shape but need all three for me. Anything on top is a bonus.

I’d say a backup experienced GK as well. Agree on the rest