Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

20 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I think Smith probably wants to play a 4-3-3 with 3 CM'ers - a bit like Liverpool - and no ACM, although SJM can come through and join in.  I think the supposed acquisition of JWP - another 8 when we already have SJM, Sanson, possibly Luiz and Ramsey (although I would want him to go out on loan next season) - supports this?

In this scenario, you have 4 for the 2 wide positions.

Like you, I would probably prefer to play a 4-2-3-1 as I think we have played our best football in the past season with that formation, when Barkley was at 10 and playing well (seems a distant memory now!).  I would try and bring in two out of Pereira, Rashica and Olise, let AEG go (he doesn't do enough for me and can only play out on the LW) and possibly have JPB floating around as the 6th choice.  A net spend of probably £25m if mooted figures are correct.

We literally always play with a cam. So you are wrong. 

10 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Villa need to sign a striker this window.Ollie is good and will improve again,but Wesley as his backup? I'm not so sure of that..its a big gamble again this window not to sign a forward..if ollie gets injured what happens if Wesley is crocked..we would be screwed

200.gif

@nick76

troll 1986 GIF by absurdnoise

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Way ahead of our two back up strikers. This is the kind of squad depth we need to build over the next year or two.

Why if he's available for £15m?

Unless he is desperate to be reunited with Brendan or play in Europe, we could have been pretty appealing I would think?

This, to me, is defintiely one we should have had a go at, and maybe we did.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think we'll try sign a striker and loan Wesley out so he can play regular football. I see we're linked to Chris Wood, he'd be a great option. Probably cost around 20 mil as he's 29. Proven in the Prem with double figure goals in the last 4 seasons, wouldn't expect to be No1 ala if we got Tammy

Come on... look how we’ve been run the last three years, do you really think we are going to spend that sort of money on a 29 year old player? Never happening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I keep reading that Nakamba isn't good enough. 

Well last season we were all saying Targett wasn't good enough. 

Players improve at Villa. Trust the coaches. 

It’s a fair point but it’s probably more relevant to Luiz who showed some improvement and form to help keep us up.

Luiz is clearly first choice in the DM position, Nakamba has rarely had a look in - looking at the season overall.

Targett has always been first choice too…

We could do with a different option at DM… (the type - already been covered many times).

13 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I certainly hope not!  Whilst I respect what he has done, his age, price and style of play wouldn't, I believe, make him what we need at this stage.

I disagree, he's proven in the Prem, has plenty of experience, would be more content to be reserve to Ollie. Also Burnley play 4 4 2 so he can take the role Davis has played this season when we are chasing a game and bring on another striker and switch to 4 4 2. Wood also plays on the right side of the front two in the system. 

He has 2 years remaining on his contract so won't be too expensive given his age (turns 30 in Dec).

Edited by CVByrne

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I keep reading that Nakamba isn't good enough. 

Well last season we were all saying Targett wasn't good enough. 

Players improve at Villa. Trust the coaches. 

It is a fair point and I’m the one who was on here saying this about Targett last summer but I just don’t see it with Nakamba.

I think he is decent and should have played more but we can get better in my view.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Come on... look how we’ve been run the last three years, do you really think we are going to spend that sort of money on a 29 year old player? Never happening.

Callum Wilson and Josh King were the two CFs we were trying to sign last summer (both same age as Wood). So it does make sense to me.

Edited by CVByrne

Just now, CVByrne said:

I disagree, he's proven in the Prem, has plenty of experience, would be more content to be reserve to Ollie. Also Burnley play 4 4 2 so he can take the role Davis has played this season when we are chasing a game and bring on another striker and switch to 4 4 2. Wood also plays on the right side of the front two in the system. 

Any player with ‘experience’ we sign always flops, see Barkley, Drinkwater, McCormack, Lescott, Richards etc.

we don’t need to break our style or waste money on someone who will be worth nothing in 2-3 years and also chasing there last big contract.

• Like 3

Just now, CVByrne said:

Callum Wilson and Josh King were the two CFs we were trying to sign last summer (both same age as Wood). So it does make sense to me.

Granted yes we looked at Wilson but only as back up option, Watkins was always top pick. We were never in for King despite the speculation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tez500 said:

The buy well do Leicester, young or old. Both Fofana and Evans were/are excellent for the money paid. They bought terribly after winning the league but seem to have sorted that now.

Tend to agree, but they also signed Slimani, Musa and Praet for about £70 million. Too early to judge Praet mind. 

But completely agree, they are very well run in regards to transfers.

13 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We literally always play with a cam. So you are wrong. 

We played 4-3-3 in the Championship and at the beginning of our first season back in the Premier League with a Grealish/McGinn/Hourihane midfield.  We stopped that formation when Smith shifted Jack out wide left.  We started regularly playing 4-2-3-1 last season with Barkley.  Lots have criticized McGinn for "falling off" last season, but it's mainly been because of our tactical formation change.  Sanson & Buendia are the missing pieces of the puzzle to be able to play 4-3-3 regularly again next season.  

2 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

Any player with ‘experience’ we sign always flops, see Barkley, Drinkwater, McCormack, Lescott, Richards etc.

we don’t need to break our style or waste money on someone who will be worth nothing in 2-3 years and also chasing there last big contract.

There is absolutely no chance Burnley would sell him willingly and certainly not at the prices that have been mentioned.

• Like 1

I don't think we will be buying a defensive midfielder at all.  Doug is exactly the kind of player Dean wants for the style we play and will back him to play the whole season the way he did between the two lockdowns.  Marv will compete with him, JWP would slot in alongside McGinn with Sanson and the kids provide competition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He has 2 years remaining on his contract so won't be too expensive given his age (turns 30 in Dec).

Okay.  You are entitled to that view.  I just disagree.

I get that he provides something different but I just don't see us using that aerial threat and physical barrage in the way that Burnley do.  We aren't typically throwers in of crosses and when we are out our best, certainly from last season, it is about pace, guile and mobility and Wood doesn't bring any of those things.  I understand that he could come on and play as a target man in a 4-4-2 with Ollie off him, but Dean has shown that he resists this even when he has few other options, but what if Ollie was injured and we needed the back up striker to slot in and cover - Wood just wouldn't fit with Jack and Buendia in a 4-3-3?

As I said earlier, I respect him as a player and think he has done brilliantly for Burnley.  I just don't see him as a valid option for us age - type of player, age, fee etc.  I would be truly gutted if we got Chris Wood and Leicester got Edouard for a lesser fee but I don't see that happening!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We need a top notch DCM, a back up LB and a back up striker. If we get those three we are in great shape but need all three for me. Anything on top is a bonus.

I'm almost with you, I think a top notch DCM, a back up LB and a quality alternative to Watkins. 

So worried about the striking area, really unknown at the moment what we have upfront and it's a massive risk especially seeing how it affected Wolves this season.

Obviously I pray that Watkins is completely injury free next season and somebody like Ben Mee doesnt wipe him out or that Watkins doesnt gets his first serious injury.  Also hope doesnt get a dip in form that happens to some when they first come to this level in the first couple of years.

Aside from that the optimist in me, wants strength in depth that we have quality alternatives in each position, that if our current style isnt working or we need to throw everything at the game from start or during the game we need two up front or we just need to start with something different that we had a choice of somebody else.  

Pessimist in me, if Ollie gets injured or form dips...we have a player I really like in Wes but we have no idea if he can come back, how effective he will be and Davis is out of favour and Barry will just likely gets slight look ins next season.  I see how much it affected Wolves losing their only real striker and relied on Silva and Jose, who are really the equivalents level wise (different styles) to our Wes and Keinan.   Wolves season was over before it really started.  Imagine spending all our money on Buendia and other quality, having Jack and then having nobody to finish regularly and I'm having none of the Wes, Davis and Traore argument.  I've heard it but if we are serious we cant risk it.

So optimist wants alternatives like the big teams, pessimist worried if Ollie is out what we will do...settle for second best!

• Like 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I don't think we will be buying a defensive midfielder at all.  Doug is exactly the kind of player Dean wants for the style we play and will back him to play the whole season the way he did between the two lockdowns.  Marv will compete with him, JWP would slot in alongside McGinn with Sanson and the kids provide competition.

This...  We are short 1 more CM to replace Barkley in the squad and a left back.  I don't anticipate us signing anyone else beyond those two, unless we sell someone (like Guilbert) and need to replace them.

• Like 1